Percentage of male applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoosername

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most recent data from FREIDA shows that about 25% of the residents in OBGYN programs are male. Does anyone know what percentage of applicants to OBGYN are male?

Members don't see this ad.

I ask because I had my first interview last week and was the only male among 30 interviewees. Anecdotally, what percentage of applicants have been male at your interviews?

At my first interview it was 2/12 and my second was 1/20

Members don't see this ad :)
First interview 3/12, Second 0/10, Third 2/10. Word on the street is that all other things being equal, a male applicant is more likely to get a slot because programs are actively recruiting them. Don't know if this is the truth. I, for one, would like to see more men in the field. Hope this info helps.

first interview 3/18, second interview 0/12, third interview 3/13, fourth interview 1/8. i've heard the same as BBCatcher -- that males are more likely to match since there are so few. i guess this is the new affirmative action!

1/10 at my interview. I agree with the word on the street about males matching after talking to two program directors, however both directors were male. I don't know if that makes a difference.

yes, reverse affirmative action is in effect :)

20-25% of males is accurate and often quoted

Two interviews and I was the only male at both. 1/6 and 1/8.

i personally would like to end up at a prgm that has at least 1 male applicant per year....and this is not b/c i am single and looking for a date:p. i just like be around a diverse group.

A program director told me they recruit males highly. Apparently the higher the percentage of women in a residency class the higher the probability of interpersonal conflicts and unhappy residents (I'm guessing this is his subjective assessment).

Another doctor, an Onc division chief who is female, told me too many female residents tends to create a residency class that is overly cautious in their medical decision-making and will let themselves get pushed around by faculty and ancillary staff.

I'm only repeating what they said...no real experience myself. Could this be just gender stereotypes? Possibly.

Of course, if anyone has worked on a service with all males you know this situation has the potential to be pretty unbearable, also.

At my program we have 50% males. We don't really need to "recruit" them, but we usually wind up with 1-2 of 3 residents as male. However, out on the interview trail, I did notice that I was frequently the only male interviewing on a particular day. It appeared that less than 10% of the applicants that I met were male.

I think it is a good idea to get as diverse a program as possible. Just by the numbers, clearly not every program will have even 25% male. Good news for us dudes, we do have an advantage!!!

Its definitely female dominated. Over the 2 interview dates I've seen about 6 or so males and remaining 20-30 females...

I can say for our program it comes down to numbers, personality, and overall fit... sex of the applicants doesnt play a role.

Members don't see this ad :)
Whatever the percentage is it is too high. OB/GYN is a horrible specialty for males. Women have a strong bias for other women when it comes to OB/GYN. They often won't say it to your face. I highly suggest any man considering OB/GYN does a lot of homework, don't let your interest blind you to reality.

Whatever the percentage is it is too high. OB/GYN is a horrible specialty for males. Women have a strong bias for other women when it comes to OB/GYN. They often won't say it to your face. I highly suggest any man considering OB/GYN does a lot of homework, don't let your interest blind you to reality.

Would you say the same thing to women going into urology?

Would you say the same thing to women going into urology?

Male patients in urology dont really care if their doctor is male or female.

Female OB/GYN patients on the other hand, STRONGLY prefer female docs.

How do you know this is fact other than your personal experience? As far as male ob/gyns, do you think a gyn onc or REI pt. cares that her doc is a male...i don't.

Clearly, I hope interested applicants don't base their opinions off blanket statements on a chat board :thumbdown:

Thank you, MacGyver.

How do you know this is fact other than your personal experience? As far as male ob/gyns, do you think a gyn onc or REI pt. cares that her doc is a male...i don't.

Yes women do prefer other women if they have a choice. Women ask for other women at the receptionist, where they feel comfortable. I have heard of male med students being kicked out during their OB/GYN rotations. Male OB/GYN's getting kicked out of a practice and others having a very tough time finding a job.

Sure, anecdotal. But it adds up. There is not a lot of research in the general area of men getting screwed. Hence why I said for men who are thinking about OB/GYN to do a lot of person research.

Whether you admit it or not, women prefer or require a certain comfort level.

Thank you, MacGyver.

Yes women do prefer other women if they have a choice. Women ask for other women at the receptionist, where they feel comfortable. I have heard of male med students being kicked out during their OB/GYN rotations. Male OB/GYN's getting kicked out of a practice and others having a very tough time finding a job.

Sure, anecdotal. But it adds up. There is not a lot of research in the general area of men getting screwed. Hence why I said for men who are thinking about OB/GYN to do a lot of person research.

... and i guess men could care less who their doc is (sarcastic statement).

I feel like we have already had this discussion before..

I'm a male going into ob/gyn next year and find it rediculous that there are people on this board who thing ob/gyn should only be women. Whatever happened to diversity and different perspectives? I think it would be bad for any specialty to be all one sex or the other..

Also, for those who haven't noticed, the strongest opinions on this forum against men in ob/gyn are from members who aren't even in medical school or at least have never rotated in ob/gyn. It is very aggravating to read people try to pass on their inexpereinced opinion as fact.

There is no doubt that many women prefer a female ob/gyn, I would never deny that and experienced that as a student. But, honestly, the vast majority of the patients did not care if you were male or female even as a student doctor. Any time a patient didn't want me there was mostly due to my 'student' status rather than me being male. Now, as I said before.. there is a % of women that definately want only a woman ob/gyn, I'll give you that. But, in no way should this affect a persons decision whether or not to go into ob/gyn as a male.

I agree. It's absurd for a pre-med student to think that they are qualified to make such blanket statements about a field. The comments are almost stupid enough to suggest that they are just trying to get a reaction. 20 years ago, OB/GYN was a completely male dominated field. Of course everyone will admit that these days women are preferred to men. This has been discussed ad nauseum. Hence the fact that 75% of doctors going into the field are women. I would not expect men going into general OB/GYN to have any trouble finding work. This doesn't even include subspecialties, which plenty of guys, myself included, are looking to go into.

I feel like we have already had this discussion before..

I'm a male going into ob/gyn next year and find it rediculous that there are people on this board who thing ob/gyn should only be women. Whatever happened to diversity and different perspectives? I think it would be bad for any specialty to be all one sex or the other..

Also, for those who haven't noticed, the strongest opinions on this forum against men in ob/gyn are from members who aren't even in medical school or at least have never rotated in ob/gyn. It is very aggravating to read people try to pass on their inexpereinced opinion as fact.

There is no doubt that many women prefer a female ob/gyn, I would never deny that and experienced that as a student. But, honestly, the vast majority of the patients did not care if you were male or female even as a student doctor. Any time a patient didn't want me there was mostly due to my 'student' status rather than me being male. Now, as I said before.. there is a % of women that definately want only a woman ob/gyn, I'll give you that. But, in no way should this affect a persons decision whether or not to go into ob/gyn as a male.

As far as male ob/gyns, do you think a gyn onc or REI pt. cares that her doc is a male...i don't.

Probably not, which is why males are overwhelmingly overrepresented in the ob/gyn subspecialties.

But for general ob/gyn there is a gender preference. I wish there wasnt and females would treat male and female ob/gyns as equals, but they dont. I think we need to force them all to get politically correct training to get over their insecurities.

For all those who doubt me, please do yourself a favor and go find a local ob/gyn clinic. Hang out with the receptionists who field calls from patients for appointments. I GUARANTEE YOU that you will hear a lot of the following:

"I'm sorry none of our female OBs are available on that date. Can I schedule you for Dr. Martin? He's an excellent doctor."

"OK, if you prefer a female we can schedule you in 3 weeks, is that OK?"

That happens every single day, many times a day, in ob/gyn clinics. Does that mean that men cant work in the field? No, but you will face extra hurdles that women OBs dont face. Thats just reality.

Dont give me the BS about how the only thing women care about is a competent provider, male or female. Thats bogus, they CLEARLY favor female OBs.

Men are getting screened out for new patients before they even walk in the door.

Dont give me the BS about how the only thing women care about is a competent provider, male or female. Thats bogus, they CLEARLY favor female OBs.

Men are getting screened out for new patients before they even walk in the door.

I don't know that it's fair to make blanket statements about patient preferences. Many women do prefer an ob/gyn of the same sex, but there are many who don't. There are many who would rather see a female provider for their annual pap, but when they need gyn surgery, would prefer a male. I personally would go to a provider of either sex, but would kick out med students of either sex.

As another personal anecdote, the best ob/gyn resident I worked with on my rotation happened to be a male.

... and i guess men could care less who their doc is (sarcastic statement).

I'm not even going to try and convince you anymore. It appears you are just bitter about something.

The only thing I am trying to do is get potential male OB/GYN applicants to think twice and REALLY look into it.

I'm not even going to try and convince you anymore. It appears you are just bitter about something.

The only thing I am trying to do is get potential male OB/GYN applicants to think twice and REALLY look into it.

Why does it matter to you what random guys (whom you don't know personally) do with their lives? If a guy wants to apply to OB/gyn, how does this affect your life?

Maybe you should focus more on getting into med school. It seems like you have too much free mental energy.

Why does it matter to you what random guys (whom you don't know personally) do with their lives? If a guy wants to apply to OB/gyn, how does this affect your life?

Maybe you should focus more on getting into med school. It seems like you have too much free mental energy.

Why does it matter to you when random people (whom you don't know personally) get sick?

Do you ask everyone who tries to raise awareness about anything why they care.

You must be in med school because you have "free mental energy". If you did it to make money you are a front-runner in the questionable career choice awards.

Thank you, MacGyver.

Only some women have a preference. To declare sovereignty over the synapses of the female mind is rather insulting, and I'm male! Everyone has a personal comfort level, and I'm 100% sure it's not going to have an effect on my future career goal. I'm pretty positive that for every 1 woman that prefers a woman, there is 1 that prefers men, and 10 who don't care. If they don't want to see me, they don't. I'm pretty sure I'll not be starving for patients.

Even as a male med student, I've performed some 50+ pap smears. I've been denied doing one ONCE. That's it. In fact, when I finished with my OB/GYN rotation and began family medicine, I became known as "the pap man" due to the sheer number I performed. On Family medicine. As a student.

More often than not, the mindset behind such a preference (from the women I've spoken too, some of them quite vocal since they are my sisters :rolleyes:) stems from the far-fetched theory that somehow a female has a "deep rooted understanding" of other females, therefore women should see women. Right, and I'll need to see only a man when it's prostate checkin' time because matching organs = deep-rooted psychological understanding of gender-specific pathology. Actually, I hope when that time comes it IS a woman, as women tend to have small hands and skinnier fingers. :D Regardless, if women prefer to see women, then I think that's wonderful. They need to see whomever they prefer to see. But let's not call this normal, as I haven't seen any evidence of this as of yet.

As a side note, I think another major contributing factor to active recruitment both in residency AND in the practice setting (from what most of the male 3rd and 4th year OB/GYN residents have told me) is also due to the fact that men tend to finish residency in 4 years more often than women residents. This also counts during practice with productivity and call. Women take off work to have babies. This whole "push women into OB/GYN" thing (which is wonderful, more power to ANYONE who wants to do it) is sorta rearing its ugly heads when that attending goes on maternity leave and suddenly everyone in practice goes from Q6 to Q5 call.

Why does it matter to you when random people (whom you don't know personally) get sick?

Do you ask everyone who tries to raise awareness about anything why they care.

You must be in med school because you have "free mental energy". If you did it to make money you are a front-runner in the questionable career choice awards.

This post makes no sense. If English isn't your native language, I apologize, but this sounds like it was written by someone with a bad hangover.

You go INTO medicine because you want to HELP people who are SICK. I didn't go into medicine to mind everyone's business. And I certainly didn't go into medicine because I have "free mental energy," nor did I go into medicine to make a lot of money. Furthermore, a sick patient is no longer a "random" person to me - that's the point of the patient interview and the H&P. I get to know that person on a more personal level.

And if you can't see the distinction between a doctor being concerned about a sick patient, and a pre-med telling random guys not to do OB/gyn as a career, then I wish you good luck on your path into med school. You're going to need it.

So I am bitter b/c I don't agree with you....hmm. You have a lot to learn, and I hope med school and residency will help teach you such. Continue on your noble cause of protecting adult men (with a mind of their own i hope) from such a rewarding and interesting specialty.

This post makes no sense. If English isn't your native language, I apologize, but this sounds like it was written by someone with a bad hangover.

Too bad I was mostly rehashing your post. I just changed some of the words.

Anyway I am not telling anyone what to do nor minding everyone's business. I am simply trying to raise awareness. Nothing more.

nykka3 said:
So I am bitter b/c I don't agree with you....hmm. You have a lot to learn, and I hope med school and residency will help teach you such. Continue on your noble cause of protecting adult men (with a mind of their own i hope) from such a rewarding and interesting specialty.

No, I never said that. You are bitter because you refuse to recognize that there is a significant proportion of women that prefer female OB/GYNs. Instead you try to twist it into who knows what.

No, I never said that. You are bitter because you refuse to recognize that there is a significant proportion of women that prefer female OB/GYNs. Instead you try to twist it into who knows what.

It's not significant because male Ob/Gyn have no problem maintaining a patient base. Most practices right now are looking for men mainly because a lot of women entering practice prefer working part time due to children and families and groups have trouble getting all their patients and calls covered.

the prevailing thought is that women prefer women. however, the evidence clearly shows that is not the case....the latest grey journal has a new article, and within that article are some interesting references. gender, while important, is clearly not the be all end all.

the fact is, when simply offered the choice between male and female, women would choose a female most of the time. however, in reality, modifiers are consistenly used, and the fact is that gender does NOT appear to be the most important thing when choosing a doctor.

you hear all of this nonsense about how it is more difficult for a male to build a practice....but, the reality is that males typically do NOT have trouble doing it.

read it, and be enlightened. (the abstract is not enough...read the article if you can)

For all those who doubt me, please do yourself a favor and go find a local ob/gyn clinic. Hang out with the receptionists who field calls from patients for appointments. I GUARANTEE YOU that you will hear a lot of the following:

"I'm sorry none of our female OBs are available on that date. Can I schedule you for Dr. Martin? He's an excellent doctor."

"OK, if you prefer a female we can schedule you in 3 weeks, is that OK?"

That happens every single day, many times a day, in ob/gyn clinics. Does that mean that men cant work in the field? No, but you will face extra hurdles that women OBs dont face. Thats just reality.

Thanks for posting the study which proved my point:

Results
From 901 participants, 83% chose a woman, 59% of whom selected gender or age as the reason. Single and younger patients were more likely to choose female and younger providers, respectively. With descriptors, 62% of the women chose a male provider. A significant number chose a different gender provider (P < .001) and made their selection for a different reason (P < .001).

Conclusion
More women chose a female provider when no additional information is known. A significant number changed their selection when male providers were described with HQTC.

This matches perfectly with my anecdotal experience. I never said that male OBs cant find patients. I said they are consistently getting screened out by secretaries before the first meeting ever takes place. This study proves I am right.

When a new patient looks for an OB practice and they dont know anything about the doctors in the practice, they are overwhelmingly more likely to request a female doctor over a male.

Just returned from an interview this week where 6/8 interviewees were male.

MacGyver, I don't really respect your opinion... until you experience it yourself as a med student or doc, your argument simply does not carry water. I have personally never had this exp... many male med students do have problems during their obgyn rotation, but often these students are simply not 'sensitive' enough (whether they realize it or not) to be a good person for a female to talk to about 'sensitive issues'... I have interviewed many patients who were initially a bit worried about talking to a male... after less than a minute, my personality took over, they were at ease, and it was a non-issue. Some guys, 'cool' normal guys to you and I, simply don't have what it takes to do this, they have a bad obgyn exp, then talk bad about the profession to other males because 'NO women want a male obgyn! I mean, look at my horrible exp!'

The truth is, YES, some guys will never succeed in OB because their personality will make their lives difficult (hence this myth lives on)... but if you have the right personality and attitude, it is easy to overcome the initial 'urge' of a patient to prefer a female and it becomes a non issue during practce.

just my 2 cents

Thanks for posting the study which proved my point:

This matches perfectly with my anecdotal experience. I never said that male OBs cant find patients. I said they are consistently getting screened out by secretaries before the first meeting ever takes place. This study proves I am right.

When a new patient looks for an OB practice and they dont know anything about the doctors in the practice, they are overwhelmingly more likely to request a female doctor over a male.

Patients don't choose their doctor in a vacuum. They often know more about the individual through word of mouth, thus validating the 2nd half of your quote which you ignored.

Although I will say I just got back from an interview at UCSD and asked one of the attendings about finding a job in the area as a male generalist. He said it is no problem finding a job but it just might not be your ideal job. With 2 equally qualified graduating residents, one male and one female, the female will land the better job with a higher salary than the male. This is in the san diego area. I know this is not true elsewhere. But, if you are a male then you will have trouble finding a high paying job in a nice area in a large urban center.

I am personally willing to make a little less money to do what I want. I've already chosen the low paying field of OB/GYN as it is.

I am a second-year, male medical student who is very interested in going into OB/GYN. All of the evidence that people have posted here on the "Women want a female OB/GYN physician" seems purely anecdotal and derived from personal experience. Not that I'm discounting these opinions . . . most females that I talk to that aren't in medicine say that they prefer a female physician to a male one.

Are there any publications in medical journals on the topic? A link would be lovely.

I had to comment and say..... The bolded statement is too presumptious. Men just voice their opinions even less than women but certainly have them.

I am a second-year, male medical student who is very interested in going into OB/GYN. All of the evidence that people have posted here on the "Women want a female OB/GYN physician" seems purely anecdotal and derived from personal experience. Not that I'm discounting these opinions . . . most females that I talk to that aren't in medicine say that they prefer a female physician to a male one.

Are there any publications in medical journals on the topic? A link would be lovely.

I wouldn't get all worked up about this until you rotate. I am positive that you will be put at ease about this topic with first hand experience. You will not have a problem as a male in OB/GYN.. this is not something to consider when making your specialty choice.

Also, alot of the people that put on the anecdotal experiences aren't even med students or haven't even rotated in ob/gyn before.

Unfortunately, the trend in life is generally that the people who are most ignorant about a subject are the loudest. It is very true on these boards.

ProRed, scroll up to post #38 in this thread. Ani posted a link a few months ago.