Penn State, UVM, Bennington…

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

profstudent

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Aside from the “top” programs for us non-science people (i.e. Bryn Mawr, Goucher, PENN, Tufts, etc.), there isn’t much talk of other programs. Particularly, I am interested in hearing about Penn State, the University of Vermont, and Bennington College.

Bennington seems to have a nice small program; however, I’ve heard that the school itself is having major administrative problems and is in a horrible (backwoods) location. UVM also seems to be good and has a linkage program or two (osteopathic), although they still haven’t returned an email I sent them a few weeks ago asking for more specific information. Seeing as I’m from PA, Penn State seems to be a good option as it seems to have a good reputation with PA medical schools.

Did anyone attend or know anything about these programs? I’ve tried contacting the programs, but am interested to hear what you wise folks think…

Members don't see this ad.

profstudent said:
Aside from the “top” programs for us non-science people (i.e. Bryn Mawr, Goucher, PENN, Tufts, etc.), there isn’t much talk of other programs. Particularly, I am interested in hearing about Penn State, the University of Vermont, and Bennington College.

Bennington seems to have a nice small program; however, I’ve heard that the school itself is having major administrative problems and is in a horrible (backwoods) location. UVM also seems to be good and has a linkage program or two (osteopathic), although they still haven’t returned an email I sent them a few weeks ago asking for more specific information. Seeing as I’m from PA, Penn State seems to be a good option as it seems to have a good reputation with PA medical schools.

Did anyone attend or know anything about these programs? I’ve tried contacting the programs, but am interested to hear what you wise folks think…

if you are a career changer and have a decent gpa from undergrad, i don't think you need to go into a special program per-se. certainly going to a program with linkage helps, but i know a lot of people who do post bacc work at their state university. I think that people underestimate state universities and the level of commitment they have to post-bacc students. at least at umass boston, there IS a certificate post bacc program, and post bacc students also have access to their pre-med committee for rec letters. if you aren't interested in going to one of the more famous post bacc programs for career changers, i don't see what the benefit is of uprooting yourself to go to a private unknown program. your state university program is probably just as good (esp at psu, since it's known for being a top school).

all simply IMHO, but hope that helps!

Some thoughts on this:

I don't like to lump Penn in with the Gouchers of the world because the cost is pretty reasonable, and one can schedule their postbacc a number of different ways.

Penn State. It's OK. The program itself is pretty small, which is surprising considering it's a big school. Moderately difficult to get in. The big downside IMO is that the med school isn't near the main campus at all. And it's not like PA has the cheapest state tuition around. If you really wanted to stay with a state school, I'd look at Temple or even West Chester before PSU.

Now that the search function's back, I'd do a search for Bennington. There's one guy on here who's really gung-ho about the program.