Penn State Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I interviewed at Penn State in the second week of March, and just today, 8 weeks later, I finally got my acceptance letter! I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet you all in August. Just wanted to say hi!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone,

I interviewed at Penn State in the second week of March, and just today, 8 weeks later, I finally got my acceptance letter! I'm so excited, I can't wait to meet you all in August. Just wanted to say hi!

CONGRATS adil909! =)

Does anyone know the specifics regarding the research requirement at PSCOM? Does the research have to be performed at Penn State? Do you have to have something published, or present a poster/paper?

I'm currently doing fitness research in my job, although I've never been published, but would love to come back next summer and fulfill the requirement if possible...

Anyone know?

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked with people there a bit about it and it seems like it's a must have a publication or a thesis masters or doctorate in order to get exempt. However, I also heard from 3rd and 4th years that the project can be done in a short amount of time. They offered up a project idea of a chart review spend a week flipping through charts do some stats on it and write a report in 2 weeks. Anyway good luck on getting out of it I'll be trying as well =)

I was wondering...

how many hours do first and second years spend in the classroom?? and how many hours do the first and second years study a day?? Please let me know!!

I was wondering...

how many hours do first and second years spend in the classroom?? and how many hours do the first and second years study a day?? Please let me know!!

Just finished my first-year as of Friday... You can't put a number on the hours you spend studying.... Some days, like the week after a test, I honestly didn't study at all. Other days, like in the week before a test... a lot.

We typically have 3-4 hours of class average in the first-year post-anatomy.

Anatomy which runs from Day 1 to the end of October is usually a 3 hour lab + 2 hr lecture daily. Plus the extra time that is needed to go back to lab at night. Yea, anatomy is a bitch, but somehow all of my classmates have amazing memories of it and ended up loving it!

Does anyone know the specifics regarding the research requirement at PSCOM? Does the research have to be performed at Penn State? Do you have to have something published, or present a poster/paper?

I'm currently doing fitness research in my job, although I've never been published, but would love to come back next summer and fulfill the requirement if possible...

Anyone know?

Not sure how to Quote multiple messages, thus my multiple responses...

In your first-year there will be a big meeting regarding how to go about finding research positions. Some of my classmates took it upon themselves to do this on their own by contacting PI's/doctors, while others waited for this meeting to get their asses in gear.

PSU is pretty strict about exemptions, if you did an honors thesis at PSU for undergrad, you should be set. Other than that, you need to have something published... even honors thesis(thesi?) done at other schools will have a hard time with trying for the exemption.

Keep in mind though that with the competitive nature of residency programs, it will only help you to perform medical school quality research.

A lot of people I know in my class are staying at Hershey for the MSR, some are going to other parts of the country(back home, etc.) to perform MSR there(requires certain forms to be filled, etc. but certainly an option). Some are going on medical mission trips, some are working for money in a non-medicine field and some are just soaking up the sun.

If you end up staying at Hershey for MSR, your stipend is $4,000 with other $2,000 awards that you can apply for if you think you're special. So total possibility of $6,000 which is awesome considering you don't even need to save money for the next school year since loan disbursements are in August... so essentially all of this money can be saved/or spent:) over the summer.

If you have any other questions, please ask now that summer is here and I have all the time in the world!

Anatomy which runs from Day 1 to the end of October is usually a 3 hour lab + 2 hr lecture daily. Plus the extra time that is needed to go back to lab at night. Yea, anatomy is a bitch, but somehow all of my classmates have amazing memories of it and ended up loving it!

Why exactly do you return to the anatomy lab at night?

Why exactly do you return to the anatomy lab at night?

My guess would be that there is so much to study for anatomy that the time alloted in the lab is not nearly enough, especially when practicals will test actual pinned locations on the cadavers. Sometimes you study at night, right? Well, that's what this is. I think it's kind of neat (although probably gets old/annoying quickly) to be able to go to the cadaver lab at whatever hours and do some extra digging around.

Yes but are the cadavers available for study at night? Random question but just curious...

Yes but are the cadavers available for study at night? Random question but just curious...

The post before hit it spot on. Every day in lab there are maybe 20-30 things you should find in that days lab. Unfortunately, unless you're superman, it becomes increasingly hard to do this. Therefore you take the time at night to go through all the other cadavers and look for certain parts.

My routine was essentially, do as much as we could in the alotted time for lab. Then return with my group of friends and go through many of the bodies and find things. We would teach each other tricks that we learned from our respective lab groups(since your friends won't necessarily be your lab groupmates).

The lab is open 24/7, except the 6 hours before each test, at which time Dr. Z goes in to tag the bodies for the test. The door is locked, but your PSU ID which you will get during Orientation will give you access.

You will hear numerous times during Orientation or the first-week of anatomy that you should go in 2-3 times a week after class, but it's all about quality and NOT quanitity. Go in until you feel comfortable with each structure, and then relax/go study for the written portion/sleep.

Please feel free to ask questions about what to expect/things you need, etc. I just finished my first year last week and am currently on 3 months of Summer Break! So ask away, and I look forward to meeting you all soon.

i am now officially going to be a fan of the hershey bears (i feel like in the northeast, hockey is a good sport to follow!)

and now for my plug of the day:
i am getting a 3 bdrm/2ba condo at the pinnacle at hershey meadows. it will be ready to move in at the end of september. i am looking for either 1 or 2 roomates. until then, i will be renting a 2 bd/2ba condo there if anyone is interested. just pm me if you have any interest and we can talk.

looking forward to having you all as my classmates! :)

I also recently finished my first year and I just wanted to congratulate you all for getting into PSCOM. I know you have had a long interview season with all the stress and everything.

I am a male currently looking for a roommate and I live in University Manor East apartments (on campus housing). I am clean (not the OCD type :smuggrin:) and I try to keep the noise level to a minimum. Also I rarely bring people over not that I am antisocial but I usually hang out with people at school (the library :laugh:). I go to bed around mid-night, but it is ok if you don't as long as you are considerate. I do not watch a lot of TV. I understand that as first-years and me being a second year, we will have different schedules, but we are all mature med students and I am sure we can adjust our schedules accordingly. Besides it is sometimes nice to interact with people outside of your class. :idea:

So PM me if you think you are interested. Also, I know you have been told 1000 times but PLEASE enjoy this summer! :luck:

I look forward to meeting you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
i am now officially going to be a fan of the hershey bears (i feel like in the northeast, hockey is a good sport to follow!)

The Bears are fun, but the PENGUINS ARE IN THE STANLEY CUP FINALS!!!! Don't be like half my classmates and root for the Flyers (well...like half of the 10% who actually follow hockey). Sorry, I'm a little excited.:hardy:

did anyone recieve any further information from penn state in the mail?? or recieve a schedule for orientation??

I am not sure if they will notify me when they recieve my intent to matriculate (sent a whiel ago, before the 15th)....so i was just wondering if anyone else heard anything?

No I haven't received any info on orientation either. When you're talking about intent to matriculate you mean the form to hold your spot with the 100 dollar deposit correct? I have gotten a notification by email to go ahead and reserve computers if you would like one. Other than that no information has been given out. If you would like call the admissions office or student affairs and post what they told you here or on our facebook group. That way we won't replicate as many calls. I called a while back to find out when the induction ceremony is and it's on the 8th of August. Hope that helps.

No I haven't received any info on orientation either. When you're talking about intent to matriculate you mean the form to hold your spot with the 100 dollar deposit correct? I have gotten a notification by email to go ahead and reserve computers if you would like one. Other than that no information has been given out. If you would like call the admissions office or student affairs and post what they told you here or on our facebook group. That way we won't replicate as many calls. I called a while back to find out when the induction ceremony is and it's on the 8th of August. Hope that helps.

If the white coat is Friday, August 8th, then expect orientation activities to start Monday, August 4th. Long introductions from faculty, but incredibly fun nights at bars/out in Hershey/Harrisburg while meeting your classmates!

Hi everyone,
Long time listener - first time caller......

Does anyone have input regarding when to schedule a move in date for on campus housing? I was told the earlier you schedule (and pay) the better your chances of getting a place. Mid July, July 1st? Any help is appreciated. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

hey all! ive been trying to find a 1br or studio apt, and haven't been having too much luck looking online... anybody know any good buildings to check out?! thanks :D

Does anyone know if lecture rooms typically have electrical outlets available for laptop plug-in? Trying to decide whether to pay for a better battery...

Also, are there any on-campus refrigerators available for commuting students? Dont mean to gross anybody out but I'll be looking for a place to store breastmilk!

Any info would be MUCH APPRECIATED!

There is a fridge in the Student Lounge where you can leave your lunch (or breast milk). :)

As far as moving in, we were advised to put earlier dates on our housing forms to guarentee housing, but we were in a different position because the apts were being remodelled and were not guarenteed to be ready until Aug 1st anyway. Good luck.

Hi Everyone,
I just got into PSU off the waiting list. Although I truly appreciate this opportunity to pursue medicine, I have a hard time imagining how my life would like there. Plus, I would like to match back a Emergency Medicine specialty in California. It seems that most people matched to primary care residencies in CA. (The OOS tuition makes choosing primary care almost impossible!)
Is there anyone who hails from the west coast who would give me some perspective? I feel that I don't have enough information to make a decision and your help is very much appreciated.
Thanks!

Try our facebook group for that question. There's more upper classmen patrolling it. I don't think an emergency medicine residency anywhere (except for Hopkins UCSF etc) is going to be extremely competitive.

Thanks, I have made the decision to go, and I am looking for housing!
Sophia

Hi class of 2012... I'm looking for a roommate to share a 2bdr in Madison at Hershey Heights (Hummelstown, 3mi from the school) anyone interested? I'm a 25F, don't smoke, laid back...

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Dr. Davis and Marc Lubbers just called....I am in!!! My first choice and my first acceptance!! (interviewed March 19th waitlisted around 8 weeks later) I am going to be a doctor!!! I am so excited...can't wait to meet you all!! Anyone looking for off campus housing? 22yo F, don't smoke, allergic to cats but anything else pet-wise is fine. PM me if you are interested.

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
Dr. Davis and Marc Lubbers just called....I am in!!! My first choice and my first acceptance!! (interviewed March 19th waitlisted around 8 weeks later) I am going to be a doctor!!! I am so excited...can't wait to meet you all!! Anyone looking for off campus housing? 22yo F, don't smoke, allergic to cats but anything else pet-wise is fine. PM me if you are interested.

congrats! i got in on july 7th. woohoo!
finding a place has proven to be quite the task though.

what's up everyone?

Congratulations to both of you. Don't overlook putting your name on the list for campus housing. Things open up all the time and the apartments are close and recently renovated. Older students often decide to move out over the summer.

Also check out our facebook group for more Q and A on places to live and a lot of upper classmen drop by from time to time. It's Penn State College of Medicine Class of 2012. Grats to yall look forward to meeting ya

Also check out our facebook group for more Q and A on places to live and a lot of upper classmen drop by from time to time. It's Penn State College of Medicine Class of 2012. Grats to yall look forward to meeting ya

Congratulations to both of you. Don't overlook putting your name on the list for campus housing. Things open up all the time and the apartments are close and recently renovated. Older students often decide to move out over the summer.

Finding the facebook group was one of the first things I did! Everyone is really helpful and I appreciate that.

It's funny you mention filling out the housing application because I just finished it before and decided to hell with the turnout - it cannot hurt.

Thanks everyone :D

Congrats to everyone!
The PSU Hershey housing office told me that they will not take listings for available off-campus housing. I am looking for housemates for a gorgeous luxury home in Hershey. My ideal housemate is responsible, clean, and quiet. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested. If you know of anywhere else I might post this message, I'd appreciate it if you would email me too.
Thank you all,
TJ

Question - how are so many med students able to afford a home purchase right now? Especially a "luxury" home??? I must be doing something wrong :eek: