penalties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stanleykristian

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just been made aware of a penalty leavened against surgeons operating in rural areas. As we know there is a serious shortage of medical professionals in rural areas. In the area of anesthesia in many hospitals a CRNA is the only anesthesia provider but surgeons are charged an additional fee for "supervising" the anesthesia. Since there is no chance of getting an anesthesiologist in these areas and people need surgery does this not seem unfair to the surgeons? Perhaps someone could tell me if there is any lobby to rectify this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

In the area of anesthesia in many hospitals a CRNA is the only anesthesia provider but surgeons are charged an additional fee for "supervising" the anesthesia.

Shouldn't they be paid for supervising? Being charged for doing additional work makes no sense at all. :confused:

Th supervision is on paper only, most of the surgeons are ready to say that they cannot supervise anesthesia, it is not the area of their specialty, it is that they have MD behind the name. They don't like it and I cannot blame them.

Members don't see this ad :)
this thread makes no sense at all. WTF is the OP talking about.....

I have just been made aware of a penalty leavened against surgeons operating in rural areas. As we know there is a serious shortage of medical professionals in rural areas. In the area of anesthesia in many hospitals a CRNA is the only anesthesia provider but surgeons are charged an additional fee for "supervising" the anesthesia. Since there is no chance of getting an anesthesiologist in these areas and people need surgery does this not seem unfair to the surgeons? Perhaps someone could tell me if there is any lobby to rectify this situation.

Whose doing the charging?? It seems the hospital would be more likely to PAY/subsidize the surgeon under the circumstances, like another poster stated. Are you sure it's not your CRNA colleagues that aren't doing the charging such that they can practice "solo", by using the surgeon as "supervisor"??

I do not think that I am charging these surgeons the surcharge anymore then all of the anesthesiologists are "charging" them by not working there. The hospital covers the surgeons in the hospitals medical group, but it is the insurance company writing the bill.
And we do not want the surgeon supervising us anymore then want to supervise us. Neither of us are competent to do each others jobs.