PEM Fellowship 2023!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

womeninpem44

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Since we are getting close to ERAS submission and I had not seen this forum pop up yet, I thought I would get it started. Hopefully this can be a place for some info sharing and anon support, through applications and yet another year of virtual interviews.

Good luck to everyone putting the finishing touches on those apps!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone! Happy someone started this forum as I have been on the lookout:). This may be a silly question but are you all using complete sentences for the "Experience" Section of ERAS or describing your role in bullet form only? Also are you all only including research experiences from Medical School and Residency/Post-residency or are you also including college research that you may have done as well?

Thanks for your help and best of luck to everyone!

Hello Everyone! Happy someone started this forum as I have been on the lookout:). This may be a silly question but are you all using complete sentences for the "Experience" Section of ERAS or describing your role in bullet form only? Also are you all only including research experiences from Medical School and Residency/Post-residency or are you also including college research that you may have done as well?

Thanks for your help and best of luck to everyone!
PEM fellow here! I used bullet points in my ERAS application. Based on the EMRA panel last year, the overall recommendation is to include only "significant" experiences. So if you got a publication or national conference poster/presentation from college, then include it. If you aren't able to speak extensively about the experience, especially once it comes to interviews, I would avoid adding it. Compared to residency interviews, fellowship interviews are much more academic-based. My interviews were consistently with the PD, APD, Division Chair, Research/PECARN Chair, QI leader, and DEI leader.

1) Consider the EM personality & work environment. Many times the faculty members/interviewers are skimming your CV. What do you want them to take away from your application?

2) Consider what is your PEM niche (are you the QI, health equity, airway, asthma, sepsis, etc. person). How do you want to market yourself to programs? That's why I side on the caution of including minutia from high school/college in the application. Have an idea of what research questions/topics you want to pursue in fellowship, but it's okay if that's not solidified yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
PEM fellow here! I used bullet points in my ERAS application. Based on the EMRA panel last year, the overall recommendation is to include only "significant" experiences. So if you got a publication or national conference poster/presentation from college, then include it. If you aren't able to speak extensively about the experience, especially once it comes to interviews, I would avoid adding it. Compared to residency interviews, fellowship interviews are much more academic-based. My interviews were consistently with the PD, APD, Division Chair, Research/PECARN Chair, QI leader, and DEI leader.

1) Consider the EM personality & work environment. Many times the faculty members/interviewers are skimming your CV. What do you want them to take away from your application?

2) Consider what is your PEM niche (are you the QI, health equity, airway, asthma, sepsis, etc. person). How do you want to market yourself to programs? That's why I side on the caution of including minutia from high school/college in the application. Have an idea of what research questions/topics you want to pursue in fellowship, but it's okay if that's not solidified yet.
Thank you so much! Looks like I am on track then but just wanted to be sure!

I second that point. I spent basically my entire interview season last year saying "Herp derp I don't know what I want to do, just PEM!". I think that contributed towards me matching at my 8/9th rank.

Does anyone have a sense of when we will start hearing from programs? (I recognize that things literally opened today, but would love to not obsessively check my email for months if I don't have to :1whistle:.

Does anyone have a sense of when we will start hearing from programs? (I recognize that things literally opened today, but would love to not obsessively check my email for months if I don't have to :1whistle:.
It seems different every year. I’d venture some may send invites out maybe around 2-3 weeks?

That’s not an indicative if one won’t get interviews later, however.

You can actually start getting invites within this week. My program is already reviewing applications. Most 1st round (or only round) invitations occur in August. I highly recommend having a separate inbox for your fellowship cycle (if possible) and/or setting up a specific alert for PEM invites. Some of my invites arrived at 11 pm or on the weekends.

For anyone interested, here are notes of my interviews from last cycle. Please feel free to complete, edit, or update the list as you progress through this cycle. For professionalism sake, please do NOT discuss red flags, cons, or specific interviewers of the program (use your common sense). If there are issues, I will delete the sheet. Message me if you have any questions. PEM Interviews 2022-23

Reactions: 2 users
You can actually start getting invites within this week. My program is already reviewing applications. Most 1st round (or only round) invitations occur in August. I highly recommend having a separate inbox for your fellowship cycle (if possible) and/or setting up a specific alert for PEM invites. Some of my invites arrived at 11 pm or on the weekends.

For anyone interested, here are notes of my interviews from last cycle. Please feel free to complete, edit, or update the list as you progress through this cycle. For professionalism sake, please do NOT discuss red flags, cons, or specific interviewers of the program (use your common sense). If there are issues, I will delete the sheet. Message me if you have any questions. PEM Interviews 2022-23
True Royalty! thank you!

Hi! I'm currently a second year PEM fellow (2020, lovely guinea pig virtual interview season) and just wanted to add don't get too nervous if you don't hear anything the first few weeks. It all depends on where you applied. I decided to get onto the sdn PEM applicant thread because I was hearing other specialties were sending out invites and I hadn't heard a thing and noticed that many invites had gone out, but not from programs I had applied to. This thread can be both a source of comfort and anxiety once those emails start coming out. Secondly, some come to your personal email and some come through ERAS so watch out for that (dates get snatched up quick) o_O:giggle:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey Guys,
Anyone receive any communication yet?
I have received notifications from the University of Texas at Austin and UMASS informing me it will be at least two weeks before they send out invitations for interviews.

However, I got my first interview a few days ago, in Jackson Mississippi in early September.

I am curious, how many programs did you guys apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man... I know this is just part of the PEM process and applications in general... but the radio silence is brutal. Really got me in my imposter syndrome BAD.
Scared Nervous GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Man... I know this is just part of the PEM process and applications in general... but the radio silence is brutal. Really got me in my imposter syndrome BAD.
Scared Nervous GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
The selection process of every program is different but in general, the perception of impropriety is something every program fears, with large bureaucratic governing bodies and the need for a legitimate, thorough, and exhaustive examination of all the candidates, I am not surprised it’s taking this long.

In fact, a program reached out to me, to inform me that their Program Director was engaged in the process of reviewing each application by hand…I say again BY HAND, each application individually!

Needless to say, they are taking this process very seriously, I would not worry.

The selection process of every program is different but in general, the perception of impropriety is something every program fears, with large bureaucratic governing bodies and the need for a legitimate, thorough, and exhaustive examination of all the candidates, I am not surprised it’s taking this long.

In fact, a program reached out to me, to inform me that their Program Director was engaged in the process of reviewing each application by hand…I say again BY HAND, each application individually!

Needless to say, they are taking this process very seriously, I would not worry.

Not sure how competitive this cycle will ultimately end up being. Last year's cycle was very competitive, the most amongst peds specialties. That said, if last cycle taught me anything, it's that patience is beyond a virtue with this application process. Secondly, the application process is also very subjective. As we enter the 3rd virtual cycle, programs have become far better at discerning qualities they want virtually. I say that to emphasize that the process can be very random or sporadic. You may not get love from a program you have great hopes for, and may get some from a jewel hidden in your list. Mileage may vary.

You may hear radio silence up to a month out, even more in some cases. If this time in October swings by and we have not heard anything, then it's probably time to consider alternative options.

Sincerely, do whatever you can to distract yourself temporarily. A watched clock never boils, or pot never ticks. Whatever that idiom is.

This excel is SO helpful! Does anyone have/know of any others like this?

I applied to almost all programs because I’m an IMG and I’d rather be safe than sorry. Interviews so far:

1- Jackson Mississippi
2- Nebraska
3- UNM
4- Akron’s

Hope we all match in good places 🥹

Interviews
1) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
2) U Tennessee - 7/28
3) Jackson Mississippi
4) Nebraska
5) UNM
6) Akron’s

Rejections
-

Communication
1) UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) UNM -7/28
3) U of Tennessee - 7/28
4) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
5) Akron Childrens - 8/1

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
7) Akron Children's - 8/1
8) Rainbow Babies & Children's - 8/2

Rejections
-

Communication
1) UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest 9/2

Rejections
-

Communication
1) UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest 9/2

Rejections
Rainbow Babies & Children

Communication
1) UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest 8/2
10) MUSC 8/3
11) U of Louisville 8/4

Rejections
Rainbow Babies & Children

Communication
1) UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest - 8/2
10) MUSC - 8/3
11) U of Louisville - 8/4
12) Children's Mercy - 8/5

Rejections
- Rainbow Babies & Children

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest - 8/2
10) MUSC - 8/3
13) Nationwide - 8/8
14) CMC/Levine Children's - 8/8

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest - 8/2
10) MUSC - 8/3
13) Nationwide - 8/8
15) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Stanford 8/1
17) U Texas Dell/Austin 8/5

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
9) Wake Forest - 8/2
10) MUSC - 8/3
13) Nationwide - 8/8
15) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Stanford 8/1
17) U Texas Dell/Austin 8/5
18) Yale 8/8
19) UNC 8/8
20) Vanderbilt 8/8

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Last edited:
Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
8) Stanford 8/1
9) Rainbow Babies & Children's - 8/2
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
13) U of Louisville - 8/4
14) Children's Mercy - 8/5
15) U Texas Dell/Austin 8/5
16) Nationwide - 8/8
17) CMC/Levine Children's - 8/8
18) Yale 8/8
19) UNC 8/8
20) Vanderbilt 8/8
21) Oklahoma 8/8

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska
8) Stanford 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
15) U Texas Dell/Austin 8/5
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale 8/8
19) UNC 8/8
20) Vanderbilt 8/8
21) Oklahoma 8/8
22) MCW 8/8

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
15) U Texas Dell/Austin - 8/5
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9
24) Wright State - 8/9

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9
24) Wright State - 8/9
25) Maimonides - 8/9

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
15) U Texas Dell/Austin - 8/5, 8/9
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9
24) Wright State - 8/9
25) Maimonides - 8/9
26) St. Louis University - 8/5

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9
24) Wright State - 8/9
25) Maimonides - 8/9
27) UC Irvine/Orange County 8/10

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9
24) Wright State - 8/9
25) Maimonides - 8/9
27) UC Irvine/Orange County - 8/10
28) University of Chicago - 8/10

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
2) Johns Hopkins - 7/26, 8/2
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) MUSC - 8/3
12) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
16) Nationwide - 8/8
18) Yale - 8/8
19) UNC - 8/8
20) Vanderbilt - 8/8
21) Oklahoma - 8/8
22) MCW - 8/8
23) Cincinnati - 8/9
24) Wright State - 8/9
25) Maimonides - 8/9
27) UC Irvine/Orange County - 8/10
28) University of Chicago - 8/10
29) UMass Chan/Worcester 8/10

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) CHKD - 8/2
12) MUSC - 8/3
13) Harbor - UCLA 8/3
14) U of Louisville - 8/4
15) Children's Mercy - 8/5
16) U Texas Dell/Austin - 8/5, 8/9
17) St. Louis University - 8/5
18) Nationwide - 8/8
19) CMC/Levine Children's - 8/8
20) Yale - 8/8
21) UNC - 8/8
22) Vanderbilt - 8/8
23) Oklahoma - 8/8
24) MCW - 8/8
25) Cincinnati - 8/9
26) Wright State - 8/9
27) Maimonides - 8/9
28) UC Irvine/Orange County - 8/10
29) University of Chicago - 8/10
30) UMass Chan/Worcester 8/10

Rejections

Communication
- UConn

Just did a little re-formatting. Looks like there's 86 programs from the NRMP data this year, so about 1/3 of the way!

Interviews
1) Mississippi - 7/22
3) U Tennessee - 7/28
4) UNM - 7/28
5) UN Las Vegas - 7/29
6) Nebraska - ??
8) Stanford - 8/1
10) Wake Forest - 8/2
11) CHKD - 8/2