Peer counseling as an extracurricular?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chippopotamus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is this program at my school where students can be trained to listen/be counselors to other students who are having a hard time or depressed. I wanted to do this because it seems like a great skill to have (to be able to help and calm down those in a crisis), but it's also a huge time commitment so I wanted to know if medical schools would see this as a worthwhile extracurricular? For example, would it be considered similar to something like tutoring/volunteering? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

There is this program at my school where students can be trained to listen/be counselors to other students who are having a hard time or depressed. I wanted to do this because it seems like a great skill to have (to be able to help and calm down those in a crisis), but it's also a huge time commitment so
1) I wanted to know if medical schools would see this as a worthwhile extracurricular?
2) For example, would it be considered similar to something like tutoring/volunteering?
1) Yes.

2) Mentoring is a form of teaching. If you don't get paid, it is volunteering.

Reactions: 1 users