peds urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swishy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am interested in going into pediatric urology, but have no interest in working with prostates to get thru residency. Do urologists do a lot more than prostates, or is that the majority of it?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I am interested in going into pediatric urology, but have no interest in working with prostates to get thru residency. Do urologists do a lot more than prostates, or is that the majority of it?

In your basic urology residency you'll be dealing with every part and problem of the urinary tract. Depending on the institution the number of prostate cases will vary, but it is still an essential aspect of one's urological training as it is the most common cancer in men. My advice, start hanging out with more prostates, you might get to like them.

Last edited:
You'll only do about 6 months during your entire residency on the peds service. Some programs more, some less. But it's not that much. So that being said get to enjoy the prostates. You'll be taking care of a lot of them before you get the joy of the rupture bladder augmentation at 3am of the spina bifida child who "forgot to cath" all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have another question. I know that peds surgery through the general surgery route is crazy competitive. Once you get into the terribly competitive field of urology is the peds fellowship extremely competitive too?

i have another question. I know that peds surgery through the general surgery route is crazy competitive. Once you get into the terribly competitive field of urology is the peds fellowship extremely competitive too?

If you train at a place with a children's hospital and pediatric urologists on staff, it is not very difficult to obtain a pediatric urology fellowship.

However, finding a place to make a living after fellowship may not be so easy. You will pretty much be limited to practicing somewhere with a children's hospital which needs a urologist when you finish.