Peds Orthopedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dsherida

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew much about peds orthopedic surgery. What does the training involve and what are the main operations you would deal with. Seems like an interesting specialty and was just hoping someone had some insight. Thanks for any insight!

Members don't see this ad.

hey, sorry I don't know much about training (except that I"m pretty sure it's a fellowship after normal ortho training), but I loved it when I got to due it during my 3rd yr clerkship.

We saw a few "skiffy"s (slipped capital femoral epiphysis, can say it, can't spell it), a LOT of CP kids (osteotomies needed as a result of spasticity, moving tendons from extensor to flexor surfaces to allow movement, recommending braces), one or two with spina bifida, kids with hardware from breaks (some non-unions after being done by adult docs), a few hip spicas, also some scoliosis kids.

It's a great speciality, but you gotta deal with parents when you deal with kids. Some of these parents have been through a lot with the kid having CP/spina bifida and they have a ton of questions. If you've got the patience to work with them, you'll do well.

Keep in mind that I am a post-bacc pre-med at this point, but one of the surgeons I have shadowed is Dr. Beaty, the pediatric orthopedic surgeon with Campbell Clinic (great residency if you are looking) in Memphis. You are right, it is a great opportunity to be involved in pediatrics and enjoy the life of a surgeon. He told me that the training includes the five year ortho residency followed by 1 or 2 years of fellowship as stated by the previous poster. Hope this helps!

Adam