peds IR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8t7x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i couldn't find a lot of info about this, but i think i want to work with kids and i'm also starting to like IR

can anyone tell me if there are IRs that primarily do peds and what kind of things they regularly do?

would there be additional training beyond the IR fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. There are dedicdated Peds IR. There are a few ways to achieve this. But, usually it entails doing a year of traditional IR fellowship and a year of pediatric radiology fellowship. Alternatively there are a number of peds IR fellowships including Toronto, U of Washington etc.

They do some fairly interesting cases.
-vascular malformation treatments
-foreign body retrieval

also some more bread and butter
-g tubes
-central venous access
-abscess drains
-nephrostomy tubes
-biopsy

http://spirweb.org/

http://www.sirweb.org/patients/pediatrics/

http://spirweb.org/pediatric-ir-literature-summary/q4-2010-literature-summary

thanks a lot for the info

i know adult IR is very involved in interventional oncology.

is this also true for peds?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to the same extent.

As far as oncology. peds IR place ports and may do biopsies. But, certainly this role could be expanded for liver directed therapies etc. There is some application of chemoembolization etc .

no, very few programs even offer pediatric IR months. It is a very small field (at least training-wise). If you are interested in this route, my advice would be to goto a program where there are not a lot of IR fellows, so you get plenty of hands on exposure to adult IR in residency. Then apply for a Peds/IR fellowship, which I would imagine are pretty easy to land right now, as it is a very small/new community.

if you want to learn more about this interesting field feel free to check out

www.spirweb.org and you can even join as a member in training. click on the "Join SPIR" button

you can also email Dr. Hogan directly at [email protected] to find out more.

There is also the annual SPIR meeting on Oct 21-22 in Scottsdale.

Whoa. I've never seen a professional society requiring letters of recommendation before. :p

Thank you though, it's good to know such an organization exists.

I am sure that Manrita Sidhu who is very involved in the Peds IR world would be happy to get motivated students involved and you could consider reaching out to her.

Good luck

There are some pretty amazing things on the horizon for peds IR. Some preliminary data was just presented at AIRP detailing how peds IRs at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, OH have had amazing success treating ABC's with percutaneous injection of a doxycycline foam. I think they have had 100% success so far and have done some pretty tricky lesions involving the posterior arches of upper cervical vertebrae.

Keep an eye out for an upcoming journal article detailing their experience.

If I was going to join just one as a Medical Student, would I be better off joining SPIR, SIR, Society for Pediatric Radiology, or whatever the general radiology organization is?

Despite what I believe my current interests to be, I get the feeling that at this stage in my education it would be beneficial to go with one of the more general organizations rather than prematurely narrowing my focus to sub-specialty...

I think your best bet as a medical student interested in IR is to join SIR. As you stated, SPIR is a very focused sub-sub-specialty and much smaller society and may not have the resources for medical students that SIR does. That being said, you could certainly join SPIR in addition but I would join SIR first. We have been actively increasing our medical student membership, resources available, and specific medical student agendas for the annual SIR meetings.

RSNA is another organization you should join -- it's free for medical students and there are a lot of general radiology resources available.