Pedo Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rpd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Created this thread so that all of us, the future pedo docs could share thoughts in here.Do's and Dont's for the application.
Stay Fabulous!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey rpd! I just submitted my application today for pedo! I'm super excited!! Have you submitted yours yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey rpd! I just submitted my application today for pedo! I'm super excited!! Have you submitted yours yet?

Wow! You are wayy ahead of the game ztoothdr. Thats pretty darn awesome!! I'm itching to submit mine next week. Just waiting on one crucial letter from a certain pedo professor-the hurdles of being a dental student.
How many programs is everyone applying to? I wish I knew more about individual programs strengths and weaknesses so I could find out where I truly fit...but to be honest, I just want to match!
Also, anyone know how early programs review applications and start handing out interviews? I was perusing past pedo threads and it seems the earliest I saw was maybe late August?

hey hey
You are definitely way head !!! boom
I am still polishing up my LOI and CV.Sending them out next week for sure:hungry:

Wow! You are wayy ahead of the game ztoothdr. Thats pretty darn awesome!! I'm itching to submit mine next week. Just waiting on one crucial letter from a certain pedo professor-the hurdles of being a dental student.
How many programs is everyone applying to? I wish I knew more about individual programs strengths and weaknesses so I could find out where I truly fit...but to be honest, I just want to match!
Also, anyone know how early programs review applications and start handing out interviews? I was perusing past pedo threads and it seems the earliest I saw was maybe late August?
Hey ,
Yeah they dont start reviewing applications until Aug .July being busy with the new residents

Just wondering, how many programs is everyone applying to? I keep wavering on how many...right now I'm thinking 8 or 9, some days I think it should be 10...but my, oh my, is this process expensive.....

I applied to 10 programs. Yes this is going to be an expensive process!!

I applied to 10 programs. Yes this is going to be an expensive process!!
10 seems to be a good number. Just out of curiosity, how are yall deciding where to apply?
Are yall looking at stipends? Hospital vs. school based? How is everyone making their lists?
Just curious as to everyone's thought process.

Might be a dumb question but I can't find a straight answer. Should the PPI's be different from the PEF's? I just need to know if I need to ask 5-7 instructors for evaluations or if I can double up on some evaluators.

Any information will be helpful! Thank you!

Might be a dumb question but I can't find a straight answer. Should the PPI's be different from the PEF's? I just need to know if I need to ask 5-7 instructors for evaluations or if I can double up on some evaluators.

Any information will be helpful! Thank you!
I used different faculty/evaluators for both. I assumed the point was to get a holistic view of you from various people..

Anyone start getting interview invites yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone start getting interview invites yet?
I wish...nothing yet. Although I did get confirmation of receipt of PASS application and/or supplementals from 2 programs. Children's Hospital in Miami, and Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh. Other than that, just waiting...
Judging from last year's threads, it seems people did'nt start hearing back till mid-August at earliest, but we shall see :)

I'm in the same boat. Nothing yet but I'm hoping for something in August!

Anymore exciting updates yet? The boards have been super quiet compared to the previous cycles

Planning to submit middle of August... I hope this doesn't hurt my chances. Goodluck to everyone!!!!!! SDN has been great to me since my DAT preparation days. Time flies so fast....

What do you guys think this means: "Applicants must meet eligibility requirements for CA dental license AND BE ABLE to work nights, weekends and holidays."? Does this statement mean you have to obtain a CA dental license prior to start date or just be eligible for a CA dental license?

Hey All,

I thought it would be helpful to know which schools require supplemental materials and if we had to contact them or if they contacted us for confirmation of our application. Here's my list. Feel free to add yours to this. =)

Children's Mercy (Kansas City, MO) - I emailed them; no supplemental materials required
Lutheran (Springfield, MO) - I emailed them; no supplemental materials required
University of MN - they emailed me; no supplemental materials required
University of Nebraska - I emailed them; UofN application form, personal information form, application fee, 2x2 photo, MATCH number
Children's Dental Center (Milkaukee, WI) - I emailed them; 2x2 photo
University of Iowa - I emailed them; 2x2 photo and CV
Baylor College of Dentistry - I emailed them; 2x2 photo, pre-dental transcripts, board scores

Don't worry guys you will get in somewhere! And if you don't just apply to Lutheran lol. They open up a new residency in pediatric dentistry like everyday lol.

Hey everyone! I've applied to about 12-15 programs. The only replies so far are confirmations that my application is considered complete at this time, and that was only from about 4 or 5 of those programs.

Best of luck to each of you, including the lurkers (this thread has a ton of views for so few posts) !

Hey All,

I thought it would be helpful to know which schools require supplemental materials and if we had to contact them or if they contacted us for confirmation of our application. Here's my list. Feel free to add yours to this. =)

Children's Mercy (Kansas City, MO) - I emailed them; no supplemental materials required
University of Nebraska - I emailed them; UofN application form, personal information form, application fee, 2x2 photo, MATCH number
Baylor College of Dentistry - I emailed them; 2x2 photo, pre-dental transcripts, board scores

Hey ztoothdr!! You emailed Baylor and they specifically told you they wanted a 2 by 2 picture, undergrad transcripts and board scores?Because there is nothing on the aapd residency site that says they need that information...Did they email you anything specifically after you submitted your PASS app, because I havent heard anything from them.

Hey All,

Miami Children's Hospital-They emailed me asking for supplementals; your CV, 2 "2x2"photos, completed supplemental application.
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh-$35 application fee through paypal, 2x2 photo. They will email you back to confirm they have received the funds.
UIC Chicago-Answer the 2 application questions, and email them a 2 x 2 photo.

Last edited:
I've also heard that Baylor wants NBDE Part 1 scores, 2x2 photo, and undergraduate transcripts. I applied to Baylor as well and did not receive an email from them either.

Reactions: 1 user
I've also heard that Baylor wants NBDE Part 1 scores, 2x2 photo, and undergraduate transcripts. I applied to Baylor as well and did not receive an email from them either.
Do they want NBDE Score reports directly from the ADA people, or is it enough for it to be included in the Dean's Letter? I wish they would send a formal email highlighting this...
And where do we send the undergrad transcripts and photo specifically?

I sent scores direct from ADA to the schools. I also sent undergrad transcripts and photo to whatever contact information was on the AAPD website or more specifically on the schools website. What did everybody else do?

I sent scores direct from ADA to the schools. I also sent undergrad transcripts and photo to whatever contact information was on the AAPD website or more specifically on the schools website. What did everybody else do?
Good to know. I know some schools are fine with everything being included in the PASS application, and some want it directly from the ADA-Which costs an additional 30 bucks...
I know my school includes the NBDE results in our official Dean's Letter, so I didnt specifically send score reports to every single school, only programs that specifically asked for it on the AAPD Residency Program website.

Hey All,

UIC- Supplemental Essays (from PASS website) and 2x2
IU- Additional Dean's letter verifying you've never been under disciplinary action
UF Gainesville- 2x2
EMAILED and Board scores directly to program from NBDE
GRU-to snail mail: CV, Required Lawful Presence certification form (what state you reside in) + document (passport/state ID), 2x2 hardcopy with full name and name of program applying for

NY Pres (Columbia)- I emailed to ask about a photo they said we should've uploaded to pass (WHERE?) they will email you with status of completeness, but you can email or snail mail a 2x2 photo, need official board scores sent to them from NBDE
Lutheran San Diego- From PASS website: 2x2 but wait until asked
UK- From PASS website: 2x2 photo, CV hardcopy, official copy of undergrad transcript snail mailed, official NBDE scores
Louisville- Nothing so far
MUSC- From PASS website: mail hardcopy of 2x2, official copy of board scores from NBDE
UT San Antonio- Nothing so far
UT Houston- From PASS website: official NBDE and official DAT (really....?) also 2x2
VCU- Nothing so far

I applied to 13 schools- my lucky number. I've only heard back from UF-Gainesville, IU, and Georgia via Email
Good to know about Baylor- I hate the fact we have to spend money to send our board scores directly to them when we spent how many hundreds of dollars to take the stupid thing?

Guess we'll see how everything turns out!

Hey ztoothdr!! You emailed Baylor and they specifically told you they wanted a 2 by 2 picture, undergrad transcripts and board scores?Because there is nothing on the aapd residency site that says they need that information...Did they email you anything specifically after you submitted your PASS app, because I havent heard anything from them.

Hey kidsaremypassion! Yes I emailed Dr. Kerins and CC: Lynn Mohundro at Baylor about supplemental materials they needed. Lynn wrote me back and said "We need your pre-dental transcripts, 2x2 photo and board scores sent to: Baylor College of Dentistry Department of Pediatric Dentistry 3302 Gaston Ave #210 Dallas, TX 75246."

Maybe email Dr. Kerins and cc Lynn and check to make sure they have everything they need for your app??

Just submitted by PASS app: 11 schools, mostly in NY.... let's keep this thread going

Hey kidsaremypassion! Yes I emailed Dr. Kerins and CC: Lynn Mohundro at Baylor about supplemental materials they needed. Lynn wrote me back and said "We need your pre-dental transcripts, 2x2 photo and board scores sent to: Baylor College of Dentistry Department of Pediatric Dentistry 3302 Gaston Ave #210 Dallas, TX 75246."

Maybe email Dr. Kerins and cc Lynn and check to make sure they have everything they need for your app??
Thanks so much for the info! I'm sure they must be swamped with emails from applicants and mine probably just got lost in the inbox somewhere. Good to know!

I will e submjit on either Today or Tuesday. I am also applying for lutheran programs (deadline is this Friday!). If I e submit on Tuesday, am I going to miss the deadline? Once I e submit my application, do Admission committee have access to my application right away?

(If I remember correctly) For dental school application, it took more than 2-3 weeks for processing and sending to each programs. How about PASS application?

I am pretty sure that once you submit your PASS application it is made available to the programs you designate almost immediately. I think it notifies them that you submitted it, and now gives them access to it. I received an email from one program saying they received my PASS within a day of me submitting it online. This was for the PASS only, not supplemental requirements.

What is everyone's take on the Lutheran programs? I've had a difficult time finding any information on them aside from basic facts like positions available, stipend (one of the best), location, etc. I read somewhere that you work some nights each week, as well as on the weekends occasionally. I've also heard that if a program has multiple sites (Hawaii, Arizona, maybe others) then you do end up traveling quite a bit. I believe that lectures are through a simulcast with residents at the other Lutheran programs. Their website says that residents do well on boards. Has anyone heard anything else, or know where to find out some more information?

Once you hit submit on PASS, the programs have instant access to it. There's no 2-3 week turnaround time like it did for AADSAS.

Received confirmation of PASS app from:

Temple University Hospital
Tufts University
Staten Island Hospital
University of Michigan
Jacobi Medical Center
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh
USC

Last edited:
Looking at old threads it looks like Lutherans will start sending out interviews next week. Has anyone spoken to Lutheran to know when they will starting sending out invites?

So about Baylor. There is a section on PASS that we can upload undergrad transcripts and also a dean's letter. From what I understood last year when I applied was that the NBDE scores (Pass/Fail) are included in this. If this is the case technically would they only need the 2x2 photo?

Also I personally called UK. I explained that most everything they asked for in the PASS packet this year so what would she like? Her words were "Just email the 2x2. I didnt realize all that was in the packet" So maybe make it a little easier

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yeah. I am a reapplying for Pediatrics this year as well. Just submitted my application last week. Good Luck to everyone.

Received confirmation of PASS app from:

Temple University Hospital
Tufts University
Staten Island Hospital
University of Michigan
Jacobi Medical Center
Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh

Received App complete from Yale-New Haven this morning. Mrs. Quiles stated that the app has been forwarded to the Program Director.
App Complete:
Yale-New Haven
UIC
Miami Children's

Received App complete from Yale-New Haven this morning. Mrs. Quiles stated that the app has been forwarded to the Program Director.
App Complete:
Yale-New Haven
UIC
Miami Children's

Goodluck!! Just a waiting game now

Goodluck!! Just a waiting game now
Thanks suhshi!
The benefits of a smart phone-you get to see every application confirmation come in instantly.
The negatives of a smart phone-your down time in clinic is spent refreshing your gmail and Outlook mail, hoping for the next update. Such is life for the next few months! Good luck everyone!

Good luck everyone! Can't wait to start seeing some interview invites!

Is there anyone who got "application complete" email from Lutheran programs?

Got an Email for Interview for Lutheran Program- San Diego on 8/20. Interviews Scheduled for 10/3

I got an email for Hawaii LMC. I guess we should start a list.

8/20: Lutheran Medical Center San Diego - Email - 10/3
8/22: Lutheran Medical Center Hawaii - Email - 9/29, with social in the evening on interview day.

Reactions: 3 users
I got an email for Hawaii LMC. I guess we should start a list.

8/20: Lutheran Medical Center San Diego - Email - 10/3, Social in evening on 10/2
8/22: Lutheran Medical Center Hawaii - Email - 9/29, with social in the evening on interview day.