Pediatrics residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chickenlittle17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior resident in a Canadian residency program (Canadian trained) in a program with significant overlap with pediatrics and was hoping to get additional training in the states to be dual licensed.
Does anyone have any advice or feedback for my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You will have to contact the american board of pediatrics to see if you can get credit and how many years you can get. After you get that information from the board, you will have to contact programs to see if they can accommodate you for 1 or 2 years. Often, some programs have openings for PGY2 and PGY3 (some residents leave residency).

Great thank you. I will contact ABP for further clarification. So I likely would not be eligible to apply during the match? After I discuss with them potential credit, would I just blanket contact programs and ask what their availability would be like?

Members don't see this ad :)
available PGY2 and PGY3 positions are usually posted here:

I see 2 PGY2 positions and 1 PGY3 available.

Great thank you. I will contact ABP for further clarification. So I likely would not be eligible to apply during the match? After I discuss with them potential credit, would I just blanket contact programs and ask what their availability would be like?
Generally, speaking, you have to complete the entire US residency to graduate and be board eligible. There’s no such thing as credit for foreign graduate medical education.

See “Non-accredited Training”

Edit: It appears some of the rules changed in 2016, specific to Canada.
BTW, the ACGME sets the rules for residency transfers, not the ABP.

Last edited:
Generally, speaking, you have to complete the entire US residency to graduate and be board eligible. There’s no such thing as credit for foreign graduate medical education.

See “Non-accredited Training”

Actually, there are two residents in my previous program (IMGs) have been credited one year after having completed peds residency at their home country. They only did 2 years of pediatric training in the US and they became board eligible. The difference is that they did "pediatric" training in their country, but I don't know about doing another specialty that "includes" pediatric rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually, there are two residents in my previous program (IMGs) have been credited one year after having completed peds residency at their home country. They only did 2 years of pediatric training in the US and they became board eligible. The difference is that they did "pediatric" training in their country, but I don't know about doing another specialty that "includes" pediatric rotations.
The only ones I’ve seen do that completed a residency in their home country, applied for a ACGME fellowship, completed the fellowship, then fast tracked 2 years in an ACGME residency. So if you complete a full non-accredited residency, maybe, but most non-ACGME trained individuals need to repeat residency.

available PGY2 and PGY3 positions are usually posted here:

I see 2 PGY2 positions and 1 PGY3 available.

Great thank you. Are there other centers that have positions available too (as in, would it be worth cold emailing pDs) or are all the openings located on that site?

Great thank you. Are there other centers that have positions available too (as in, would it be worth cold emailing pDs) or are all the openings located on that site?
Maybe, if it is not posted on the website, the only way to know is to contact programs.

Great thanks. Finally, as a side note. if there are no PL -2 or 2 positions, can people match to PL1 and still possibly finish in 2 years?

Great thanks. Finally, as a side note. if there are no PL -2 or 2 positions, can people match to PL1 and still possibly finish in 2 years?

You can be board certified after 2 years in residency, but that's for people going into a pediatric subspecialty, or doing a combined program like child neuro or child psych. I'm not sure if doing a residency in medical genetics would count.

You need to have a certain amount of 'senior' roles, and a certain amount of continuity clinic to be board eligible. Unless you have credit from another program, you won't be able to get that starting as a PGY-1 to finish in 2 years.

You can be board certified after 2 years in residency, but that's for people going into a pediatric subspecialty, or doing a combined program like child neuro or child psych. I'm not sure if doing a residency in medical genetics would count.

You need to have a certain amount of 'senior' roles, and a certain amount of continuity clinic to be board eligible. Unless you have credit from another program, you won't be able to get that starting as a PGY-1 to finish in 2 years.

Yes, I am asking the ABP if I would qualify for credit. If I do, but am unable to find a PL-2 position and so apply through the match, can a PD then advance me appropriately as per whatever credit the ABP approved? I would assume I would likely get some credit as my first year was essentially identical to the peds program at my school in Canada and then I have another 12 months of rotations which the peds residents also completed just in a different order but will see. Thankyou

Yes, I am asking the ABP if I would qualify for credit. If I do, but am unable to find a PL-2 position and so apply through the match, can a PD then advance me appropriately as per whatever credit the ABP approved? I would assume I would likely get some credit as my first year was essentially identical to the peds program at my school in Canada and then I have another 12 months of rotations which the peds residents also completed just in a different order but will see. Thankyou

I mean, that's really up to the discretion of the PD. If they have a full complement of senior residents, they might not have room for you to advance up. Also, if you match into a PGY-1 position, and are subsequently advanced up, they are then short a body in that PGY-1 class that you matched into, which makes scheduling more difficult.

So, possible? Sure. But no one is going to be able to give you an answer about whether or not it will actually happen, because no one knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I mean, that's really up to the discretion of the PD. If they have a full complement of senior residents, they might not have room for you to advance up. Also, if you match into a PGY-1 position, and are subsequently advanced up, they are then short a body in that PGY-1 class that you matched into, which makes scheduling more difficult.

So, possible? Sure. But no one is going to be able to give you an answer about whether or not it will actually happen, because no one knows.
Thanks, that makes sense. There are also prelim years through pediatrics too right? I did a search and wasn’t able to find too many separate 1-2 year prelim pediatrics programs that result in pediatrics board eligibility... would that make sense as I’m already medical genetics trained anyways but it seems like people applying tor medical genetics in the states do prelim years before starting? The system differences between Canada and the US are just throwing me off a little. Appreciate the guidance everyone has been providing, thank you.

While you could technically do a prelim peds year before applying to medical genetics, few people take this route and you wouldn't be peds board eligible if you did (3yrs total, but you'd just be boarded in medical genetics). Most people who know out of medical school that they want to do medical genetics apply to combined pediatrics/ medical genetics programs, which are 4-5years long. Some people do peds residency (plus research or chief years depending on the person) and then apply (5-6years). It is confusing, even when you're not coming from another country.

One option, though I'm not sure how well this aligns with your long-term career goals, would be to come to the US and do a 1-year clinical biochemical genetics fellowship. These individually are highly sought after, and while not general peds it is a different flavor of practice than standard medical genetics.

To the OP, are you sure you need to do pediatrics residency to do general peds here? Instead of talking to a PD, maybe start by applying for a few jobs?

I'm Canadian but came down for peds/MG residency for research opportunities. Most of us do NOT maintain peds board certification. Peds here is NOT considered a specialty service, so as long as you are competent you should be able to see uncomplicated kids.

For example, ER docs who see kids in smaller centers, GPs who moonlight in peds urgent care, and med gen docs who occasionally cover the general floor without peds boards.

The five year MG program you did sounds like solid training, really like doing family med plus MG in the states. I strongly suspect a small hospital would put you to work wherever you're comfortable so long as you have general license and MG boards.

To the OP, are you sure you need to do pediatrics residency to do general peds here? Instead of talking to a PD, maybe start by applying for a few jobs?

I'm Canadian but came down for peds/MG residency for research opportunities. Most of us do NOT maintain peds board certification. Peds here is NOT considered a specialty service, so as long as you are competent you should be able to see uncomplicated kids.

For example, ER docs who see kids in smaller centers, GPs who moonlight in peds urgent care, and med gen docs who occasionally cover the general floor without peds boards.

The five year MG program you did sounds like solid training, really like doing family med plus MG in the states. I strongly suspect a small hospital would put you to work wherever you're comfortable so long as you have general license and MG boards.
Thanks, that's a great point. My thought process was that if I ever want to practice in Canada, they seem to value the peds boarding highly even if I would feel comfortable providing general pediatric care to the less complex kids (or even some of the complex ones given the MG background...).