Pediatricians need to be...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xian

Still Searching...
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pre-med I was thinking of going into pediactrics later, and I wanted to know what characteristics pediatricians should have and why. Ex.) Patience, compassion, etc.

Thanks a lot for anything,

Xian

Members don't see this ad.

Xian said:
I'm pre-med I was thinking of going into pediactrics later, and I wanted to know what characteristics pediatricians should have and why. Ex.) Patience, compassion, etc.

Thanks a lot for anything,

Xian
Very observant. Many of your patients can't speak and the ones that do often become mute when you walk in the room. :)

Somewhat strong.... kids in pain scream and kick without caring whether or not they'll hit you. I almost got kicked in the face holding down a girl who need stitches.

Liking kids would be a helpful trait I think.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluebirdie said:
Liking kids would be a helpful trait I think.

Liking kids is not enough. You need to love kids. If you do not love kids, you are going to be hating yourself when you're up at 3 am talking to the mother of a child with a 101 fever and realizing your salary is a third to a quarter of that of the urologist who is sleeping comfortably at the moment.

Peds is like surgery in that respect. If you only like the OR, the lifestyle will make you miserable.

scholes said:
Liking kids is not enough. You need to love kids. If you do not love kids, you are going to be hating yourself when you're up at 3 am talking to the mother of a child with a 101 fever and realizing your salary is a third to a quarter of that of the urologist who is sleeping comfortably at the moment.

Peds is like surgery in that respect. If you only like the OR, the lifestyle will make you miserable.[/QUOTE.....

Thanks for the sermon.... :rolleyes:

scholes said:
...you are going to be hating yourself when you're up at 3 am talking to the mother of a child with a 101 fever and realizing your salary is a third to a quarter of that of the urologist who is sleeping comfortably at the moment...

But I love both kids AND the urologist's salary/lifestyle. Help!

sdnetrocks said:
But I love both kids AND the urologist's salary/lifestyle. Help!

Peds uro maybe? I know a lot of pediatricians also only do outpatient, so their lifestyle can be a bit better. From most docs I've talked to, if you get woken up by a patient who has a question over the phone....it's very easy to just go back to sleep, if you really like your job, you won't be thinking about how awesome the urologist next door when you have to take a call. Plus peds has the highest number of part time physicians, out of all specialties...so there are a lot of options.

ndi_amaka said:
Very observant. Many of your patients can't speak and the ones that do often become mute when you walk in the room. :)

Somewhat strong.... kids in pain scream and kick without caring whether or not they'll hit you. I almost got kicked in the face holding down a girl who need stitches.

Really...who hasn't been kicked in the face when holding down a girl...... :smuggrin:

texdrake said:
Really...who hasn't been kicked in the face when holding down a girl...... :smuggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: how unprofessional....

bluebirdie said:
I know a lot of pediatricians also only do outpatient, so their lifestyle can be a bit better.

But that's at the expense of compensation. Oh, can't I have my cake and eat it too?

sdnetrocks said:
But that's at the expense of compensation. Oh, can't I have my cake and eat it too?

I don't think this is necessarily true. The outpatient pediatricians in the community have closer relationships with their patients and get the phone calls at home at 3 am.

The hospitalists and intensivists do not have much pt follow-up, so if they are working at 3 am, it is because they were scheduled to be working.

Flexible. As in, "I know you just checked out Jim & Joe in 15 minutes, but can you just peek in Johnny's ear too so I won't have to bring him back?"
Compassionate. Dealing with sick kids and sick families is hard.
Humble. Hard to be a jerk as a pediatrician. It can be done, I'm sure, but kids won't cut you much slack.
Empathetic. Understand that just because this family has NO MONEY doesn't mean they love their kids any less than you love yours.
A tireless child advocate. People DO abuse their children, and it's your job to find them and facilitate a safe environment for abused kids.
Lisa PA-C

primadonna22274 said:
Flexible. As in, "I know you just checked out Jim & Joe in 15 minutes, but can you just peek in Johnny's ear too so I won't have to bring him back?"
Compassionate. Dealing with sick kids and sick families is hard.
Humble. Hard to be a jerk as a pediatrician. It can be done, I'm sure, but kids won't cut you much slack.
Empathetic. Understand that just because this family has NO MONEY doesn't mean they love their kids any less than you love yours.
A tireless child advocate. People DO abuse their children, and it's your job to find them and facilitate a safe environment for abused kids.
Lisa PA-C

Thanx Lisa I was wondering if you could ellaborate on being humble. Are the kids, in general, difficult to deal with? What makes it all worth while?

And since this is a graduate forum I was wondering does that mean you're in residency?

Thanx.

I say this not as someone with experience in peds, just someone who spent the last two years teaching: the parents are worse than the kids. They can be crazy. That said I still want to go into the field.

I think Primadonna did a good job of addressing the qualities of a pediatrician. I will say that dealing with parents does not have to be difficult. In my experience, parents are usually difficult because someone has not updated them on what is being done for their child. You would be upset if this was your child. Also, you have to take the time to educate families, because some of them are first time parents or come from disadvantaged backgrounds. You definitely need empathy, it will go a long way as parents appreciate your concern. I had a father go off on me because he didn't want his baby admitted to the hospital. I just smiled and allowed him to vent. He later apologized for his behavior and appreciated my concern for his child. You will also need patience because infants/children do not always cooperate during your examination. These are a few qualities you will find in pediatricians. I went to med school thinking ER or surgery, but I loved my pediatric attendings. They are some of the nicest and happiest physicians you will meet. Also, you will realize that these are your future colleagues, so it helps to work with people who have a passion for their field. Just my two cents from a peds resident. Go Cowboys! :D