Pediatric urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MONICAG

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some insight on Pediatric urology? Are there many opportunities in this field, or is it very limited? Any information on female urology? I am VERY interested in a career in urology for many reasons--- it offers a mix of surgery & medicine as well as a variety of cases/patients & A LOT of clinic time---the only thing I am unsure of is sub-sub specializing (ie pedi uro)---Any input will help. THANKS!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pediatric - depends on what you mean by opportunities. There are about 20 programs out there, with about 30 spots per year. One would expect to have to practice in either an academic setting or in a large metropolitan area after fellowship. On the whole, the fellowships are not exceedingly difficult to obtain.

Female Urology - can be done almost anywhere, without fellowship training. Fellowships are available, I do not know how competitive they are to get.

the problem is doing a fellowship after six years of residency.
how much more crap do you want to take before being your own boss and making money? Your spouse may think enough is enough as well. Most peds fellowships are going to be 2-3 years with a research year.

peds urologist think you should graduate and do 100% peds. thus you may never do a lot of the urology surgeries you trained to do and you lose some skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Two words why you don't want to do peds: spina bifida

This is a really, really inaccurate statement. My DH is in the OR 80% of the time, and does huge uro cases daily. The demand for peds urologists is huge. There are THREE in our state, and my DH is booked months out for his surgeries. Most of DH's peds surgeries are microsurgeries, thus he does not lose any skills, he has MORE skills than the adult guys working on just adults.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DH?

As far as skills are concerned, ask your DH if he would feel comfortable doing a TURP or an open prostatectomy on a 200 gm gland tomorrow.

I don't think the previous poster was denigrating the skills of a peds urologist, just making the point that some skills you learn as a general urology resident will atrophy if you do a pediatric fellowship followed by peds uro practice.

However, just as your DH wouldn't want to do a TURP tomorrow, neither do I want to do a proximal hypospadias or a megaureter reimplant.

yes, your DH should call me and tell me about all the radical prostatectomies and penile prosthesis he does as a pediatric urologist. I would like to hear about how well and how often he does those cases.

maybe he will tell me about all the pediatric urologist who do adult cases at
e.g. UCSF, Baylor, Hopkins, Univ Chicago.. when I interviewed there they didn't do any adult urology but maybe things have changed since you went to psychology school.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a DH?

As far as skills are concerned, ask your DH if he would feel comfortable doing a TURP or an open prostatectomy on a 200 gm gland tomorrow.

I don't think the previous poster was denigrating the skills of a peds urologist, just making the point that some skills you learn as a general urology resident will atrophy if you do a pediatric fellowship followed by peds uro practice.

However, just as your DH wouldn't want to do a TURP tomorrow, neither do I want to do a proximal hypospadias or a megaureter reimplant.

I can't believe she calls her husband "DH" :laugh: