Pediatric Physiatrist Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mblum151

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would I become a pediatric physiatrist? If I did a peds residency, could I do a physiatry fellowship, or do I need to complete a second resedency in PM&R?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe you would do a PM&R residency and a Peds fellowship, not the other way around. This can be a very emotionally taxing area of the field so make sure you're up for it, of course it can also be extremely rewarding, depends on you. Good luck!

-J

There are actually three ways to do it. A combined program, both residencies separately, or PM&R+peds fellowship. The advantage to the first two is that you would be boarded in both peds and PM&R. Some would say that it is important to be boarded in peds if you're going to be working in a children's hospital, all your colleagues will be. You probably will understand normal growth and development better etc. The snag with the combined program is even though it is 5 years you have to do a 6th year of dedicated peds rehab before you can sit for the peds rehab subspeciality boards/certification (from what I understand). I don't know if you do that year as an attending or a fellow.