Pediatric Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxrph10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new pediatric pharmacist. My previous work experience is in adult area. Can please some one share some useful literature for pediatric pharmacotherapy? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you get a job as a pharmacist in a children's hospital? Or how did you stumble upon this opportunity?

Reactions: 1 user
I can think of a couple helpful texts from earlier in my career. Pediatric Pharmacotherapy and the Handbook of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology were both given to me at my first hospital.

Also, there's no shame in keeping Lexicomp / UpToDate / whatever you have up in your second monitor. Double check every dose until you feel comfortable.

Things to keep in mind:

Meds will mostly be weight based, but be mindful of the adult max dose and don't exceed it. Once you hit the teens a mg/kg dose can easily exceed the max for a lot of drugs.

Be mindful of frequencies as well. Kids may clear drugs faster than an adult with those fresh kidneys, except for your neonates. You'll be seeing a lot of vancomycin Q6H.

Speaking of neonates, be mindful of gestational age when dosing meds. Expect to see ampicillin and gentamicin on these kids with significant differences in how they are ordered based on gestational age.

I had a copy of the BCPPS prep material at one point. Never read it but maybe it has good information?

for neonates - neofax is a must