Pediatric Interview Rejections 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyaries

NICU Fellow
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
first rejection: Georgetown

Members don't see this ad.

...to you for starting this thread and being the first to post a rejection, a sign of good self confidence

If a program rejects you do you get an email? Just wondering how they let you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. From the residents I talked with, usually if a program rejects you, the standard response unfortunately is no response. I think the reason for this mentality is that schools don't want to reject people too early since they don't know what their applicant pool will shape out to be.

Perhaps in November, when all applications are final etc... we may hear otherwise but it may simply be just no news by Jan is unfortunately not good news. (Note - it is too early to take the lack of interview invites as a bad sign... schools are just starting to go through applications etc...).

I got a rejection letter thru email and ERAS. I would prefer to receive some notification. In my opinion, it is more professional. I don't know how other programs operate, but I appreciate knowing rather being left to guess.

I got two rejections, one from Loyola in Chicago - they said I graduated 3 years ago and they require graduation within the last 2 years to be eligible. They were very friendly though !:)
And the other one was from University of Maryland, and their reason for rejecting me was that I am an IMG and did not do 2 years of clinical training back in my homecountry already. They were also very civil about it.:laugh:
I also much prefer to be rejected than just ignored.

got a rejection from CHOP yesterday, my first one...oh well. Did not give a reason though. Maybe my complete lack of research/publications or my school's reputation ("Wright State? Is that a college or a medical school?" is a question I have been asked).

got a rejection from CHOP yesterday, my first one...oh well. Did not give a reason though. Maybe my complete lack of research/publications or my school's reputation ("Wright State? Is that a college or a medical school?" is a question I have been asked).

Uh oh....I guess mine is coming!

Did they send it by email or snail mail?

Uh oh....I guess mine is coming!

Did they send it by email or snail mail?

ZekeMD, you are really obsessed with CHOP aren't you ? Dude: Relax.

Sorry Tawanda, don't take it too hard - there are lots of other good places!:luck:

ZekeMD, you are really obsessed with CHOP aren't you ? Dude: Relax.

Sorry Tawanda, don't take it too hard - there are lots of other good places!:luck:

I'm not at all obsessed. It's more of a pride thing I suppose. To be honest, I don't know if I would even go there.:laugh:

I'm not at all obsessed. It's more of a pride thing I suppose. To be honest, I don't know if I would even go there.:laugh:

We all know that CHOP and Boston Children's are fantastic programs. However, I would argue that they are fellow-run hospitals. The residents do all of the scutwork. My advice is to go to a residency program that fits your needs and is in good standing--any university program will do with a particular exposure to community pediatrics as well. With this, you'll be well-prepared to do primary care if you wish, and you'll also have enough knowledge to pursue fellowships at top programs. Then, you should go to CHOP or Boston. (It would be foolish to go to CHOP or Boston and take care of all those really sick, rare disease-type kids, then end up doing primary care where you're looking at TMs and talking about autism and obesity all day.)

Good luck, and go to a place where you know you'll be really, really happy for 3 years.

I didn't really expect to get into CHOP, I just applied for the heck of it to see what would happen. I figure, if they rejected me, I probably wouldn't fit in anyways! Plus it's one less interview to schedule... :)

btw, they sent me an email.

Well, I haven't gotten any rejections, but was wondering when I should start to worry about not hearing anything from programs. I have 5 that I haven't heard back from, all of which have issued interviews (per the interview thread).

When do programs usually stop issuing interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I haven't gotten any rejections, but was wondering when I should start to worry about not hearing anything from programs. I have 5 that I haven't heard back from, all of which have issued interviews (per the interview thread).

When do programs usually stop issuing interviews?

I'd say that if you don't hear by the match....it's safe to assume you're not going to get an interview :D

I got put on "hold" by CHOP. I suppose thats better than a rejection, but it's still a bummer in my book. Oh well, their loss! :D

I got put on "hold" by CHOP. I suppose thats better than a rejection, but it's still a bummer in my book. Oh well, their loss! :D

they actually told u that ur on "hold"? what does that really mean? i didn't apply to CHOP- is that typical of programs to put ppl on hold?

they actually told u that ur on "hold"? what does that really mean? i didn't apply to CHOP- is that typical of programs to put ppl on hold?

Yup, thats what they told me. I think many programs do that sort of thing.

Did they really say you were on "hold?" What I took as a rejection was worded something like "we are unable to interview you at this time." I thought they were just being nice about saying it, maybe that was a hold? Anywho, it's not that important, as I already went ahead and withdrew from the program.

Did they really say you were on "hold?" What I took as a rejection was worded something like "we are unable to interview you at this time." I thought they were just being nice about saying it, maybe that was a hold? Anywho, it's not that important, as I already went ahead and withdrew from the program.

Dear Applicant,
Thank you for your interest in and application to The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia's Pediatric Residency Program.
Each year we receive many inquiries from qualified applicants for a limited number of positions. We are not able to interview all of the qualified applicants. The Intern Selection Committee reviews each application and extends interviews to those who seem to best meet the requirements of our Program. After careful, preliminary review of your qualifications and experiences based on the materials that have thus far come to us via ERAS, the Committee has placed your application in our "Hold" category.
We will review the "Hold" category of applicants for a second time after we receive the Medical Student Performance Evaluation/Dean's Letter that is released by ERAS during the first week of November. We will do our best to contact you by the end of November or the first week of December to give you our final decision. Since we interview through January 24th, there will be available slots if we offer you an interview after our next review of your application.
Again, my sincere thanks for giving us the opportunity to review your application.

Georgetown today. I'm pretty :rolleyes: considering it's a program that's been on probation and the chief of peds at my med school didn't even recommend my applying to it. Oh well.

completely rejected from CHOP...oh well :rolleyes:

Rejected by Georgetown.:p

Rejected from Columbia :rolleyes:

what? really? :(

well, in any event, you ready for tomorrow? does it have a name, like dday and black monday?

good luck on CK, hope you are enjoying studying for it.

what? really? :(

well, in any event, you ready for tomorrow? does it have a name, like dday and black monday?

good luck on CK, hope you are enjoying studying for it.

Yup :laugh: but that's ok. It wasn't high on my list. If the same thing happens with Colorado I'll be ---> :( I don't think black monday works considering tomorrow is a Thursday....maybe black Thursday.....how about November 1st. I think that's one everyone could agree on :).

And studying = BLAH. But I guess I'll have to suffer if I want to beat ur score ;)

Yup :laugh: but that's ok. It wasn't high on my list. If the same thing happens with Colorado I'll be ---> :( I don't think black monday works considering tomorrow is a Thursday....maybe black Thursday.....how about November 1st. I think that's one everyone could agree on :).

And studying = BLAH. But I guess I'll have to suffer if I want to beat ur score ;)

Jendizzle called it DDAY in her post-CK post. i'm looking forward to nov 1, i would call it purple thursday before black thursday. maybe go day?

remember, the more cookies you eat, the better your score;)

well, hoping UofCo pulls through, the best day to interview there is definitely Jan 18th.

the best day to interview there is definitely Jan 18th.

haha I'll keep that in mind....however, considering it is at the top of my list, I may want to go sooner....provided they're done torturing me and decide to offer me a interview. :p

I got an email rejection from DC Children's but what was funny was that I had just written them an email writing about how I was interested. I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or if they just didn't want to hear from me anymore.

To tell you the truth I sorta like being ignored better than flat out rejected. I guess that way I can have hope for a longer period of time. Ignorance is bliss...or so it would seem to this applicant:)

I got an email rejection from DC Children's but what was funny was that I had just written them an email writing about how I was interested. I wasn't sure if it was a coincidence or if they just didn't want to hear from me anymore.

To tell you the truth I sorta like being ignored better than flat out rejected. I guess that way I can have hope for a longer period of time. Ignorance is bliss...or so it would seem to this applicant:)

izzyfine,
Do you mind posting your stats? I haven't heard from them yet and am wondering whether I might be getting a rejection letter soon!

Rejected by Johns Hopkins today...not surprised but had to apply anyways for ****s and giggles...

Zeke, I was rejected by Stanford today too. Guess we can sit in the "meh" corner together. Awesomely.:oops:

I'm in the "send me a letter" camp re: rejections. I'd rather get dumped and have done with it rather than this waiting and wondering game.

Zeke, I was rejected by Stanford today too. Guess we can sit in the "meh" corner together. Awesomely.:oops:

I'm in the "send me a letter" camp re: rejections. I'd rather get dumped and have done with it rather than this waiting and wondering game.

Agreed

Rejected by Oregon today:( Oh well, guess that's one fewer transcontinental flight to take...

University of Chicago yesterday. :(

Stanford :(
Well, atleast they let me know and didn't string me along forever....

Stanford...meh

Still waiting to hear from U of Colorado; UCSF, Mass Gen and Boston Children's; the only one on this list I really want is U of Colorado Denver. We will see..

This thread helps me feel better that I am not the only one.
Rejections - MCV, Inova, Chop (no surprise there), CNMC (very very very very disappointing).

This thread helps me feel better that I am not the only one.
Rejections - MCV, Inova, Chop (no surprise there), CNMC (very very very very disappointing).

Hope this makes you feel even better, AgieMD08 :D: In the meantime, got rejected from U of C, Hopkins (both expected) and Pitt.

Hope this makes you feel even better, AgieMD08 :D: In the meantime, got rejected from U of C, Hopkins (both expected) and Pitt.

U of C as in University of Chicago.....colorado?

Rejected by Boston Childrens :thumbdown:

I'm with you Zeke...no from Boston Children's.

Oh well.

:) Other awesome programs to see.

U of C as in University of Chicago.....colorado?

So much for using abbreviations.:rolleyes:
Also : rejected by Boston's Children (or is that Children's Boston ?), of course.
Funny part : Someone must be working REALLY late over there, it's 9:30pm here in Cali and so it must be 0:30 am in Boston, and I just got the e-mail.:sleep:..

Rejected by Boston Childrens :thumbdown:

Hey ZekeMD, I feel your pain..rejected from Boston Children's also (my only rejection..). Frankly I don't see how I could have improved any more on my application, but oh well, their loss! Nobody's perfect :D

I'm with you Zeke...no from Boston Children's.

Oh well.

:) Other awesome programs to see.

Hey ZekeMD, I feel your pain..rejected from Boston Children's also (my only rejection..). Frankly I don't see how I could have improved any more on my application, but oh well, their loss! Nobody's perfect :D

They were just afraid that we would make their other residents look bad :laugh:

So there are two schools that I have not heard from recently. One told me I was one hold until Nov. 1, the other just that my app was being reviewed. I am assuming that this point that I am in a pile that only gets invited if enough people turn down or cancel interviews. Anyone agree or disagree with this reasoning?

Judging by the number and scope of interviews y'all are getting, Boston must have an odd system for extending interviews. Their loss!

"y'all???" Is that really a word? You really are from Texas aren't ya? :p