Pediatric Hosptialist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hokiedoc2005

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the process to become a pediatric hospitalist? Is a fellowship necessary (There only seems to be a few of them)?

I really like the idea of shift work in the inpatient setting and the pay (at least on the adult side--which I am certain is more than the peds side) seems to be really good.

I feel like this is up and coming for pediatricians, can anyone give me more info?? I am getting ready to start my intern year in pediatrics and would like to gear my electives toward things that might help me as a hospitalist....

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hokiedoc2005 said:
What is the process to become a pediatric hospitalist? Is a fellowship necessary (There only seems to be a few of them)?

I really like the idea of shift work in the inpatient setting and the pay (at least on the adult side--which I am certain is more than the peds side) seems to be really good.

I feel like this is up and coming for pediatricians, can anyone give me more info?? I am getting ready to start my intern year in pediatrics and would like to gear my electives toward things that might help me as a hospitalist....

Thanks!

One of our 3rd years is starting as a hospitalist at CHOP next month, so I know you don't have to have a fellowship. I'm not sure what electives she took, but I would imagine that the ones geared towards inpatient disease management (nephrology, endocrine, cards) would be more helpful than somthing like AIR or complementary/alternative medicine. I doubt the pay is nearly as good as adult hospitalists! There is definately a trend towards hospitals using hospitalists, and as more pediatricians do this, fellowships may become required (as happened with peds ED).

I agree with what notstudying said :) Many of the adds I have seen in Pediatrics for hospitalists are looking for people to attend both ward and NICU.

Ed

edmadison said:
I agree with what notstudying said :) Many of the adds I have seen in Pediatrics for hospitalists are looking for people to attend both ward and NICU.

Ed

Yikes-including Level 3? (...I'm imagining managing your 25 weekxtwinsx2...alone, 2 years from now)! Are they requiring NICU training then?

BTW-congrats on finishing internship :)! We seem to have made it relatively unscathed...

NS