Pediatric Endocrinology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdiva16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a quick question. I am very interested in the field of Pediatric Endocrinology, specifically the rise of type 2 diabetes in children. On FREIDA and numerous sites, I noted that the average salary of a Pediatric Endocrinologist is significantly less than that of a General Pediatrician ($187,000 vs. $209,000). Is this true? If so, why is that the case? Also, is the salary much less if one works in an academic institution? I know that we didn't (or shouldn't) go into medicine for the money, but it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I'll spend three additional years of training for a salary that is less than if I complete three. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a quick question. I am very interested in the field of Pediatric Endocrinology, specifically the rise of type 2 diabetes in children. On FREIDA and numerous sites, I noted that the average salary of a Pediatric Endocrinologist is significantly less than that of a General Pediatrician ($187,000 vs. $209,000). Is this true? If so, why is that the case? Also, is the salary much less if one works in an academic institution? I know that we didn't (or shouldn't) go into medicine for the money, but it's hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that I'll spend three additional years of training for a salary that is less than if I complete three. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Yes, it's true. Life is unfair. Pediatric endocrinologists don't do procedures and mostly don't have patients that they can see quickly. Spending an hour with a non-compliant diabetic patient, or two hours on an ambiguous genitalia consult is good for the soul and bad for the wallet. They have a great job, do fascinating research and generally all the ones I know love what they do. They don't get paid well though. Make your choice, this isn't going to change much.

Yup, I've seen this pattern, too though not entirely sure why. Btw, I believe those salary figures are on the high side, at least for people just starting (subtract at least $50,000). Salaries are always listed as less in academics, though I have heard some say that it is sometimes made up for with other funds. At the very least, I would not expect to make any more money by subspecializing, except perhaps in Cardio/GI/NICU/PICU/ED. Otherwise you can just be happy to break even. Interested to hear others thoughts.

There are gen peds private jobs out there that will make more than academic subspecialty jobs, even NICU and cardiology, at least at the starting salary of an assistant professor level (or *gulp* clinical instructor ;)). Talking about salaries like $150k academic versus $200k private. This is just based on anecdotal examples though and shouldn't be considered mean salaries or anything.

I will say that at least for cardiology and NICU, the private practice jobs I've heard about from 2nd/3rd hand information seem to compensate higher than private gen peds jobs.

Although academics pays less in general, there are perks associated with it beyond the salary, such as a lighter workload (for the most part), having malpractice paid for, and at certain universities, the ability to have your children to go to college at a much reduced cost. Also being paid a standard salary instead of one based on how many patients you see in a day.