Pediatric Dermatology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ib1818

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any information or recommendations regarding Pediatric Dermatology: whether or not it's a good path to take, how to go about pursuing this field, and any fellowships available.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

ib1818 said:
I was wondering if anyone had any information or recommendations regarding Pediatric Dermatology: whether or not it's a good path to take, how to go about pursuing this field, and any fellowships available.

Thanks for your help!

Currently, the only combined Dermatology/Pediatrics residency programs are UCSF, Penn, and Univ of Texas Galveston. All the programs are 5 years in length (you save 1 year total) and you can sit for both the Derm and Peds Boards upon finishing residency. Look at their respective websites for more info.

I think it's nice to have on your resume, but it's only useful if you are in academics. In private practice, you will end up practicing one specialty and not the other.

regarding pediatric derm,

I think what ppl mean when they ask about it is:

if you dont' think you are competitive enough for derm, is taking the ped-derm path (5 years) any easier and /or worth it?

how competitive is peds-derm? if there are only 3 programs in the country-- does that make it just as competitive if not more than derm?

do ppl who apply to derm apply to peds derm as a backup?

thanks
snowinter

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the O.P. is referring to the new pediatric dematology fellowships and board certification being offered.

snowinter said:
how competitive is peds-derm? if there are only 3 programs in the country-- does that make it just as competitive if not more than derm?

do ppl who apply to derm apply to peds derm as a backup?

There is no "back door" way of getting into Derm. You need competitive grades, board scores, and LORs to get into Derm. Additionally, Research and publications make you STAND OUT. Try to publish in a peer-reviewed Derm Journal, like JAAD or Archives (this can take over a year for writing up a manuscript, submission, and hopefully acceptance and publication). For faster publication opportunites, check out online dermatology journals like www.dermatologyreview.org and E-medicine.

Any Derm-related residency program is competitive (ie, Derm/Peds, Derm/IM). In these 3 combined derm/peds RESIDENCY programs, you have to be accepted by both the Derm and Peds Residency Program at the respective institution. The Derm program is NOT gonna just accept you because were accepted into the Peds program. Plus, 2 of the 3 combined programs are world-renown institutions (UCSF and Penn). So getting in is no easy task.

As for a Pediatric Dermatology FELLOWSHIP, here's the website of approved programs:
http://www.pedsderm.net/news_fellowships.htm
- To qualify, you must have completed a dermatology residency [you do NOT qualify with ONLY a pediatric residency]
- This fellowship does NOT allow you to take the Peds Board [note the difference between "residency" and "fellowship"]. You must complete a Peds residency to be eligible for the Peds Board Cert.

How much peds do private derms usually do?

i've heard that you can do as much peds derm as you like with a derm residency. No need to get a fellowship unless you are really wanting the extra certification or you want to do academic medicine.

wooo said:
i've heard that you can do as much peds derm as you like with a derm residency. No need to get a fellowship unless you are really wanting the extra certification or you want to do academic medicine.
Its true most dermatologists do a good deal of peds derm on a day to day basis,some very much like it and cultivate this type of practice.Other dermatologists prefer adults and are happy to send children with difficult cases out.If you are truly dedicated to this field and are academically oriented a fellowship is a must to get a consult practice going.Otherwise there is plenty of peds derm in a general dermatology practice to keep you busy if thats what you want.