Pediatric Board Exam 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am not a good test taker, ITE below average, failed step 3.
I started prep during residency, did not use a book for boards and focused on questions- did prep 2x 3 years, medstudy x 2.5 (first pass 70s, did wrong ones again, second pass 80s), prep first pass 60s second pass in high 70s, used flash cards and medstudy videos x2. For me repetition was the key. scored 2standard deviations above passing

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not a good test taker, ITE below average, failed step 3.
I started prep during residency, did not use a book for boards and focused on questions- did prep 2x 3 years, medstudy x 2.5 (first pass 70s, did wrong ones again, second pass 80s), prep first pass 60s second pass in high 70s, used flash cards and medstudy videos x2. For me repetition was the key. scored 2standard deviations above passing
Basically same study plan as me, with same test results. I do believe doing questions over and over is the key!

I think this is definitely dependent on the type of test taker you are. I am reading a lot of these going "OMG that sounds super intense and intimidating!"

Find what works for you. Standardized exams and me are NOT friends. I did decent on my ITEs, never anything crazy but ended around 80%. I started getting into questions the second half of my third year, but COVID really disrupted that for me. So during the summer I made sure to get through PREP (2018-2020) at least once, scoring high 60%s and then 70% for 2020. I then moved onto MedStudy and finished the bank, staying around 70%. I reviewed every single question, even when I got it right and because I am a kinetic learner I wrote stuff down every time I had an opportunity as I reviewed the questions. I supplemented with Laughing because mnemonics work well for me and then did MedStudy flashcards when I was a few weeks away from taking the exam. The books and videos were wayyy too dense for me and I couldn't pay attention so I never used them. I passed with a score around the median and am totally happy with that! A pass is a pass!

For sure questions are definitely the best way to go!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I did well on the test -- scored a 248, which was below my goal of 250. I wanted to share my formula: MedStudy questions, Boardvitals questions (finished day before the exam), some of Medstudy books for major sections, some of Laughing your Way for major sections, Truelearn Q bank 80% of the way, PREP question bank 3 years during residency and the free ABP Comprehensive Exam day before the exam. I think I really didn't do much reading at all -- didn't read any book from cover to cover, but paid attention during electives and rotations, focused on developmental milestones etc. I think different styles work for different people of course, but if there is anything I learned from preparing and taking the exam is "Do more questions." It's not just about knowing/being familiar with the material, but understanding the theme of the concepts that are being tested. The more exposure you have to the framework of questions asked, the better it will guide you when you have to read through the question and choose between 2 close options. Some questions seemed right out of the ABP comprehensive exam.
Again, this worked for me, but I'm a question heavy, Socratic method learner. I got a little higher than national median on my 1st year ITE. Got 99th%tile on my ITE for my last two years. Since I browsed this site to actually stress/destress when I was studying for the exam, I realize now... there is no magic formula, it's your journey and how you seek to reach the destination. Good luck to you!

Medstudy books, medstudy questions, and prep 2014-20120

January 2020 went over Medstudy books once and make Anki flashcards out of everything I didn't know. I grind 6--8hrs per day while on elective.
February to June did Anki flashcards religiously.
June went through medstudy questions once, made flashcards out of everything I didn't know
- review correct and wrong answers and make Anki cards from those facts
July - August Anki daily and went through medstudy book for second time
September went through medstudy question second time while continuing to religiously do my Anki decks

medstusy first attempt 78%, second 84
prep average mid 70% on all years
ITE bottom half of my class as intern then made top 1/2 in class my second and 3rd year

I did all the prep questions starting July my 3rd year and finished it all by January. so from January one I focused on medstudy
- I also made flashcards from everything I didn't know

Anki is the GOAT. Key is to start EARLY!!!! by June/July if you don't feel like you're ready then you're in BIG trouble IMO. I peaked at about 1-2 weeks before the exam and was plateau about 1-2 days before so I rested then took the exam.

got their at 0700 d/t COVID and started at 730ish. took 1 break and finished at around 11:50ish. Got my scores back and scored above average so good luck everyone!!!

Good luck everyone

how to get access to older PREP questions; their website only has access to last 3 years ! TIA