Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship Application 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

milkofpropofol

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying for the 2023 peds fellowship! Thought I'd start the thread for this application cycle. Anyone starting to hear back from programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Judging by the responses, seems like a good time to be applying.

Reactions: 4 users
is there a spreadsheet like someone made for residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied mid January.

Have heard from Boston Children's, Northwestern, UTSW, UTH, Pitt, UChicago, OHSU, Children's National (GW) and UNC. Starting to think I very much overapplied.

Anyone heard from LA/SF programs, or Seattle Children's?

I am waiting to hear from Seattle Children's and SF programs too. I have heard from Boston, Northwestern, UPMC, Children's National, Cincinnati, and Colorado. Has anyone heard from CHOP?

Heard from CHOP this AM, Stanford last week. Still no Seattle.

First and foremost, Good luck to all applying for match!

I have had a pretty geographically limited training course thus far, and decided to broaden my horizons for the fellowship year.

Would love to hear insight into some of the training programs such as Riley, UCSF, Miami, UNC, UTSW… or really any of the smaller class sized (2-4 fellow per year) programs out there.

Also, I am curious to learn more information on current and prospective job market. Although I have read some of the current information out there with regard to possibly having too many pediatric trained anesthesiologists, I have also heard that the job market is currently in demand.

Thanks!

First and foremost, Good luck to all applying for match!

I have had a pretty geographically limited training course thus far, and decided to broaden my horizons for the fellowship year.

Would love to hear insight into some of the training programs such as Riley, UCSF, Miami, UNC, UTSW… or really any of the smaller class sized (2-4 fellow per year) programs out there.

Also, I am curious to learn more information on current and prospective job market. Although I have read some of the current information out there with regard to possibly having too many pediatric trained anesthesiologists, I have also heard that the job market is currently in demand.

Thanks!
Of those Riley is probably the best. UNC is also quite good, rebuilding their cardiac program and the faculty are really strong. Not familiar with Dallas Children’s as a fellowship but it’s an excellent place to work. Don’t know much about UCSF and Miami but they’re the most desirable locations on your list.

Job market is great in adults right now and is similarly pretty good in peds. Most big children’s hospitals are consolidating volume and services at 1-2 centers in an area, so community hospitals are less likely to be doing high peds volume than 5-10 years ago. In my area it is not uncommon for a good community group to have 5-10 peds anesthesiologists who do only 1-2 days of peds a week, and rarely do a neonate, after doing 50% or more in the 2010s.

On the children’s hospital side, there was probably less turnover at peds hospitals during Covid as we didn’t have nearly the burden and volumes for some common peds procedures (tonsils, ear tubes) have only recently recovered. Less peds fellows are being trained right now, though, so children’s hospital jobs should be easier to come by.

Anyone know why Duke cancelled the remainder of their interviews?

They are usually quick to fill their two spots, which are highly coveted, and may have had enough applicants. I believe my year, they only interviewed 8-10 people for their 2 spots. This is just speculation from a person outside of the facility.

Members don't see this ad :)
How is the job market for peds? People have practical concerns in addition to clinical interests. If the job market is weak, then that would explain it.

Job market is good IMHO.

Only 19 of the 58 programs participating filled. 39 went unfilled. 137 of 215 spots filled.

Based on those number it would seem that smaller programs are taking it on the chin.
Honestly some of the small programs should just close down.
The market seems very good at the moment, we will see how this plays out. Seems like it’s a great time to be a fellow.
5 people didn’t match. I wonder what their story is? Maybe all their eggs in one basket.

Last edited:
Honestly some of the small programs should just close down.
The market seems very good at the moment, we will see how this plays out. Seems like it’s a great time to be a fellow.
5 people didn’t match. I wonder what their story is? Maybe all their eggs in one basket.

Hopefully all 5 unmatched candidates will find a home in one of the 78 unmatched positions.

Is it true fellowships are paying a hundred grand nowdays?
unaccredited ones usually pay you half time attending salary. Accredited ones get paid PGY-5 salary as far as I know.

Edit: wow columbia’s pgy-5 salary is 96k, so yeah, i guess some programs pay close to 100k!

unaccredited ones usually pay you half time attending salary. Accredited ones get paid PGY-5 salary as far as I know.

Edit: wow columbia’s pgy-5 salary is 96k, so yeah, i guess some programs pay close to 100k!
Cincinnati gets a stipend on top of GME salary bringing them to something like 85 during peds and 95 the next year if doing a second fellowship (a la peds cardiac)

Hi everyone. I know this is not the correct group, so I apologize in advance. But, would anyone happen to know how long it takes the ABA to release the results from the peds boards? Is it approx 2-3 weeks like the rest of the exams?