Peacing out of a categorical spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HiddenTruth

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I would like to hear some feedback from current residents and attendings, if any about a particular situation.

I have a friend who graduated last year with GREAT credentials (>250 step1, stellar gpa, etc). He interviewed at some of the top places for orthopedics--didn't match. He took up an IM prelim year at a mediocre spot in town. Aftrer about 6 months, he ended u p signing with them for categorical. He just finished his intern year and started his 2nd year of IM. Well, he is really really dissappointed in himself for signing a categorical spot with the institute. Essentially, I think he can't forgive himself or accept the fact that he didn't match and now he is stuck here. He wants to end up doing nephrology, but he think it will be a bit difficult to get such a competetive fellowship from the program he is in. Additionally, he is very unhappy here (both professional and personal matters).

He wants to leave the program, but doesn't know the implications. I was wondering what you all thought. I am not sure how residency stuff works as I am a MS2, but do you think his medical school CV with his great credentials still get the same looks from PD's if he would to START OVER, trying to get into a top IM program? Or do you think he wouldn't be as competetive of a candidate as someone else comming out of medical school aplpying for the match the first time? Is it possible to transfer his first two years of residency once he has signed a categorical spot, or the only way out is to start over? What do you all think? What advice would you have to give him. He is really bummed about all this. I was thinking maybe he should stick around as he has started his second year, and he can't go for the match until the following yr-so that would be wasting TWO years. Maybe, stick around and make connections to get a GOOD fellowship spot. What do you all think, how does this all work? If anyone has been in this situation or similar experience, I would appreciate your comments. Thank you all for your input in advance.

HT

Members don't see this ad.