PDAs for paramedics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joaquin13

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do any of you paramedics out there use PDAs, and what do you think of them? I know there are a lot of useful programs...and lots of games on them...

Members don't see this ad.

or for 200 dollars less you could just carry a tarascon rx guide in your pocket. this would allow you to figure out fairly quickly why a pt is taking an rx you are not famaliar with.....pda's didn't exist when I was a medic so I never considered it. at present I just carry a few pocket guides that I am very famaliar with and haven't felt the need to go high tech yet( although many of my colleagues have- I always smile when they drop/break their 200+ dollar toy and suddenly feel helpless.....).

I have an Ipaq 3955 and I would not get on the truck without it. I am a paramedic and I have stored all our protocols in pdf on it. You can go to Handango.com and see hundreds of medical programs that are beneficial in the field. I have pedi drug doses and pedi ACLS info in it as well. I would recommend the pocket pc type over the Palm, it has more memory and is faster.

Members don't see this ad :)
My husband actually has a PDA with a camera specifically so he can take pics of scenes, etc. to show ER docs. A couple weeks ago he took a picture of a woman w/ a blown pupil that resolved by the time they got to the ER. The docs didn't really believe him that her pupil was blown until he showed the pic. And of course he has protocols, etc. on the thing so it's more than just a camera.

Yup, I carry a PDA on duty.. I have Epocrates, MobilePDR, 5minute Clinical Consult- Emergency Medicine (great reference - geared more for MD's, but has prehospital recommendations) as well as medical calculators, as well as the non-medical stuff (mp3player, wireless email, web, etc).

Really love it, but I would recommenend getting a crush-proof case, as I now had to replace the screen. :mad: