PCOM waitlisted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't see how you will be able to use 31,000 dollars a year for living expenses in WV. Most of the state is rural and I wager a lot of the citizens are taking home less than 31,000 after taxes. I would estimate the COL at probably 20,000 or lower. But, I'm a frugal guy.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see how you will be able to use 31,000 dollars a year for living expenses in WV. Most of the state is rural and I wager a lot of the citizens are taking home less than 31,000 after taxes. I would estimate the COL at probably 20,000 or lower. But, I'm a frugal guy.

I do agree. My whole family is from WV (not in a rural area, either)...it doesn't seem like it would cost that much. In the housing I've looked into...I want to live alone...and the monthly rent for a spacious 2 bed/1 bath apt is around $700. Having lived in Miami the past 4 years for undergrad, that is AMAZING. But, if you get a roommate and a similar place or a bigger house...you'll pay around 300-400 before utilities. Let's say total 500/mo. Then food...which, fyi, is actually cheaper at Krogers...everything is cheaper in WV lol. I bet you could get away with 70g loans.

so I thought this would be the right place to post my questions about pcom. i got my MCAT score back today and it was a 27. so my gpa is atrocious - 2.8 cum and science. I'm in a post bacc and i have a 3.77 gpa in the program. total my gpa comes to 3.0 for both cum and sci. i know this should be posted in "what are my chances" trust me I've posted there already but I need school specific advice. take the mcats again?

Members don't see this ad :)
so I thought this would be the right place to post my questions about pcom. i got my MCAT score back today and it was a 27. so my gpa is atrocious - 2.8 cum and science. I'm in a post bacc and i have a 3.77 gpa in the program. total my gpa comes to 3.0 for both cum and sci. i know this should be posted in "what are my chances" trust me I've posted there already but I need school specific advice. take the mcats again?

I'm waitlisted right now at PCOM with a 27 mcat but my gpa is 3.7 cumulative, 3.5 science. i dont think the 27 will hurt your app too much and if you are going to take it again give yourself some time to re-prepare so you know you'll definitely do better the second time.

in other news:
in response to Mrs. Benvenger's email about the waitlist update I emailed her asking for a 'phone meeting' to discuss weaknesses in my application. i explained that i cant take time off to go to philly to meet with an admissions rep. I told her if it doesnt work out for me for the Class of 2013 im definitely reapplying because pcom is my first choice, so i want to know how to strengthen my application. She replied saying that my app is still active for the class of 2013 and she will go over any questions i have if i am not admitted by the end of the summer. I was kinda surprised since some people on sdn have set up such meetings face to face, so i thought that getting someone on the phone sometime soon to discuss my app wouldnt be an issue....

Yes, overall a good education and well prepared for the boards, some clinical rotation sites were getting a little shaky during my 3rd and 4th years but overall were good exposures
defer + 6mos of forbearance and i will defer in fellowship too
Good Luck!

hey thanks Patrick O, that made me feel even better!

cheers

I'm waitlisted right now at PCOM with a 27 mcat but my gpa is 3.7 cumulative, 3.5 science. i dont think the 27 will hurt your app too much and if you are going to take it again give yourself some time to re-prepare so you know you'll definitely do better the second time.

in other news:
in response to Mrs. Benvenger's email about the waitlist update I emailed her asking for a 'phone meeting' to discuss weaknesses in my application. i explained that i cant take time off to go to philly to meet with an admissions rep. I told her if it doesnt work out for me for the Class of 2013 im definitely reapplying because pcom is my first choice, so i want to know how to strengthen my application. She replied saying that my app is still active for the class of 2013 and she will go over any questions i have if i am not admitted by the end of the summer. I was kinda surprised since some people on sdn have set up such meetings face to face, so i thought that getting someone on the phone sometime soon to discuss my app wouldnt be an issue....

I am in the same boat as you so I sincerely respect your (our) circumstance, but I think it is profoundly unprofessional and downright unfair to meet with current applicants to discuss applications. This is basically a second interview. PCOM is also my first choice and I have been very upset hearing in earlier posts that some applicants have had success in "discussing their current situation" with the admissions staff. I'm not trying to sound unreasonable, but in my humble opinion, it's just not fair and affects objectivity in the admissions process. my 2 cents...overall, I think Ms. Benvenger is absolutely doing the right thing. My apologies if this offends.

I am in the same boat as you so I sincerely respect your (our) circumstance, but I think it is profoundly unprofessional and downright unfair to meet with current applicants to discuss applications. This is basically a second interview. PCOM is also my first choice and I have been very upset hearing in earlier posts that some applicants have had success in "discussing their current situation" with the admissions staff. I'm not trying to sound unreasonable, but in my humble opinion, it's just not fair and affects objectivity in the admissions process. my 2 cents...overall, I think Ms. Benvenger is absolutely doing the right thing. My apologies if this offends.

I think you might have misunderstood my intentions. After receiving the update email the other day I got quite pessimistic about getting off of the waitlist so that's what prompted my email. Like you, PCOM is my first choice and I sincerely want to know what could be done to improve my application for the Class of 2014. Since I'm finishing up my AACOMAS now and want to submit it early, I had been hoping to talk with admission about my app sooner rather than later. I had explained this in my email. I understand Ms. Benvenger's response and have also been surprised with applicants being granted meetings to further discuss their applications but really, my email was more about how I can move on and look to the future while I'm filling out apps for next year. I am actually wondering if maybe I should be a bit less pessimistic?

I think you might have misunderstood my intentions. After receiving the update email the other day I got quite pessimistic about getting off of the waitlist so that's what prompted my email. Like you, PCOM is my first choice and I sincerely want to know what could be done to improve my application for the Class of 2014. Since I'm finishing up my AACOMAS now and want to submit it early, I had been hoping to talk with admission about my app sooner rather than later. I had explained this in my email. I understand Ms. Benvenger's response and have also been surprised with applicants being granted meetings to further discuss their applications but really, my email was more about how I can move on and look to the future while I'm filling out apps for next year. I am actually wondering if maybe I should be a bit less pessimistic?

Sorry. I think I did misunderstand your intentions. I think wanting to know how you can improve your application is valid, but I do still, completely understand why they may have a policy that prohibits this. I too, am skeptical and disappointed if admissions staff has met with other active (non-admitted) applicants earlier in the cycle. My stats are similar to yours but I am not a PA resident btw. I have another osteo acceptance so I have decided, despite how badly I want to go to pcom, that re-applying (which basically means now) would be foolish for me as little as changed in my application since my interview in February. Tough spot we're in...good luck to all!..and again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sorry. I think I did misunderstand your intentions. I think wanting to know how you can improve your application is valid, but I do still, completely understand why they may have a policy that prohibits this. I too, am skeptical and disappointed if admissions staff has met with other active (non-admitted) applicants earlier in the cycle. My stats are similar to yours but I am not a PA resident btw. I have another osteo acceptance so I have decided, despite how badly I want to go to pcom, that re-applying (which basically means now) would be foolish for me as little as changed in my application since my interview in February. Tough spot we're in...good luck to all!..and again, sorry for the misunderstanding.

No problem, I understand where you're coming from. I'm actually a CT resident, so we are in very similar situations, except I am waitlisted at two schools with no acceptances and thus have no choice but to reapply and hope for the best in the meantime.

Any updates? And out of curiosity, did anyone have luck meeting with the committee to discuss their application?

Any updates? And out of curiosity, did anyone have luck meeting with the committee to discuss their application?

Hey gorgi,
A few weeks ago when I tried to set up a meeting I was also told that because my file is active I can not meet to discuss how to improve, so I'm not sure how those who claim to have had meetings set up actually did so!
It seems like NOONE is withdrawing from PCOM :/

Hey gorgi,
A few weeks ago when I tried to set up a meeting I was also told that because my file is active I can not meet to discuss how to improve, so I'm not sure how those who claim to have had meetings set up actually did so!
It seems like NOONE is withdrawing from PCOM :/

hmm interesting. but it makes more sense now because we both got the same response.

here's to hoping that movement off of allopathic waitlists trickles down to us! :luck::xf::luck:

Some people have recently withdrawn their acceptances (see PCOM school specific thread in pre-osteo). Best of luck everyone!

:luck::xf::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people have recently withdrawn their acceptances (see PCOM school specific thread in pre-osteo). Best of luck everyone!

:luck::xf::luck:

Keep them coming:xf::xf::xf:

:scared:BUMP

Have we all lost hope? Or does anyone have some good news for us?

:scared:BUMP

Have we all lost hope? Or does anyone have some good news for us?

I haven't lost *all* hope, just a decent portion of it, it is July after all... I've been accepted to the biomed program though. I sent in my $500 deposit a few days ago and just got a call from NYMC to set up an interview for their biomed master's program..... it would make my life soo much easier if I get off PCOM's waitlist but I'm afraid that since I sent in my deposit for the biomed program they will overlook me on the waitlist.... I know they say that they won't but I mean if we go to the biomed program then they already have our money anyways, right? Has anyone ever gotten off the waitlist after acceptance to the biomed program? Seems kinda unlikely to me.... Here's to hoping for good news in the upcoming weeks :xf:

We can probably expect another status update e-mail from Ms. Benvenger soon, but I doubt it will sound encouraging :(

Also, a friend of mine just went to the Open House last night and apparently "there is still flux for the 2009 class"...average MCAT about 26, overall GPA 3.5, science 3.4....67% PA residents...270 confirmed acceptances for 268 spots and they ARE expecting further deferrals/withdrawals in the next few weeks...it bothered me that people who haven't even applied yet know more about our situation...anyway...these stats were tough to hear, but sobering. I'd expect there to be a very tiny amount (2-7 people) of wait-list movement as the start of classes near. Best of luck to all.

I haven't lost *all* hope, just a decent portion of it, it is July after all... I've been accepted to the biomed program though. I sent in my $500 deposit a few days ago and just got a call from NYMC to set up an interview for their biomed master's program..... it would make my life soo much easier if I get off PCOM's waitlist but I'm afraid that since I sent in my deposit for the biomed program they will overlook me on the waitlist.... I know they say that they won't but I mean if we go to the biomed program then they already have our money anyways, right? Has anyone ever gotten off the waitlist after acceptance to the biomed program? Seems kinda unlikely to me.... Here's to hoping for good news in the upcoming weeks :xf:

I hope PCOM doesn't do that to you. That is really harsh. I hope they are not greedy for your $500 deposit. I guess we'll never know. Good luck though.

We can probably expect another status update e-mail from Ms. Benvenger soon, but I doubt it will sound encouraging :(

Also, a friend of mine just went to the Open House last night and apparently "there is still flux for the 2009 class"...average MCAT about 26, overall GPA 3.5, science 3.4....67% PA residents...270 confirmed acceptances for 268 spots and they ARE expecting further deferrals/withdrawals in the next few weeks...it bothered me that people who haven't even applied yet know more about our situation...anyway...these stats were tough to hear, but sobering. I'd expect there to be a very tiny amount (2-7 people) of wait-list movement as the start of classes near. Best of luck to all.

Average MCAT is 26!!! Nice...finally a raise from a persistent 24 :laugh:

I hope PCOM doesn't do that to you. That is really harsh. I hope they are not greedy for your $500 deposit. I guess we'll never know. Good luck though.

Thanks. Yea, I hope it's not like that but it's hard to know for sure...

Any thoughts on Ms. Benvenger's email?? I guess it was what I expected, but really said nothing specific....still upset that more information was revealed at an open house to people who haven't even applied yet...starting to really lose hope. I thought I had such a great shot at PCOM too...:(

Any thoughts on Ms. Benvenger's email?? I guess it was what I expected, but really said nothing specific....still upset that more information was revealed at an open house to people who haven't even applied yet...starting to really lose hope. I thought I had such a great shot at PCOM too...:(

It was basically what I expected as well... very general... not too hopeful...

I really have no clue what I will do in my year off. I dropped out of the biomed program (good luck to anyone waitlisted for that) and I need a job now. I really hope that my last ditch efforts pay off, or at least look really good for next year.

Good luck fellow waitlisters, the end (good or bad) is in sight. :xf:

Bacchus might be right. It could have a negative effect next year if you apply to PCOM again.

Well the plan is that they will want me next year as much as I want them. It may look negative but I don't think it will have that much of an effect. They got a free $500 depoit from me. Only time will tell

That sounded somewhat condescending, but I have an summer internship at a large oncology firm in which I am doing alot of clinically related stuff. I am studying for the MCAT, which I neglected to do the first time around. We shall see what happens.

That sounded somewhat condescending, but I have an summer internship at a large oncology firm in which I am doing alot of clinically related stuff. I am studying for the MCAT, which I neglected to do the first time around. We shall see what happens.
Glad to hear you're making an effort! :) Don't get attached to the onco patients. :(

I"m in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never thought I'd be writing this post, but I received a phone call from Ms. Benvenger this afternoon. Letter is on the way!

I never thought I'd be writing this post, but I received a phone call from Ms. Benvenger this afternoon. Letter is on the way!

WOW!!! CONGRATULATIONS! :) :) :) :thumbup:

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Congratulation and welcome to c/o 2013. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: U'r da Man..

Congratulations! :thumbup:

Congratulations!!! :thumbup:

Congrats!