PCOM or NOVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

enveng1978

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between NOVA and PCOM. From what I understand academically they are equal, maybe PCOM has a bit of an edge due to the length of it's existence. I am from Philadelphia and wouldn't mind a change of scenery for four years, but would eventually like to establish myself in the Philadelphia area. My concern with attending NOVA is that I might have a difficult time obtaining a residency in Philly as opposed to if I attended PCOM. Obviously there are many other factors going into my decision, but this is one in which information seems to be lacking. Does anyone have any info on this or know where to find it?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am also in a similar situation but backwards. lol
I found PCOM to be an awesome school with great opportunities but I live closer to Nova. I have my reasons to want to stay in FL but I also like the thought of moving away for a few years, even though it is a bit scary for someone who has never left home. ;)
I don't have much information about residencies coming from PCOM or Nova. But I have been given advice by several DO's who have said that PCOM will give you more residency opportunities (b/c there are more hospitals around and I don't doubt that its lengthy history has something to do with it). Also, I think it is safe to assume that you are more likely to get a residency near the school you attend. But don't quote me on that because I am sure that there are people who have done it.
I personally think that if you do well in the school of your choice, then you should have no problems getting the residency you want. You should choose the school where you would feel more comfortable. (I should take my own advice LOL)
But I am with you enveng, I understand what you are going through.
If anyone can help us out here with some information, we would greatly appreciate it. Also, does anyone know how clinical rotations work at PCOM if someone wants to do them out of state? (i.e. How hard is it to do?)
Thanks!
Albah

There are so many elements that go into choosing one med school over another that it would be foolish to limit your reasons to just the residency issues. You should look at each school's curriculum, the campus life, the academc atmosphere their research endeavors etc. I think that no matter what school you choose, if you do well in the basic sciences, score well on boards and impress your attendings on clerkships then you should have an excellent shot at the residency of your choice. Being at PCOM has been a great experience and the clinical opportunities from 1st year through 4th and beyond are excellent. There are interns and residents here from many different DO programs, although I would say that if you want into PCOM's dermatology or neurosurgery program then being here for 4 years and networking within the PCOM community gives you an edge. 3rd year clerkships at PCOM begin in June.... there are 8 core rotations that must be done in the PCOM consortium of affiliated hospitals and med centers.... electives can be done anywhere you want at any hospital, national or international. 3rd year there is one elective and 4th year there are 5. I know of some students from FLA an are looking into doing rotations at florida hospital ortho institute and several others. We also have a OMM/family med rotation of which 3 weeks are done as an elective and many FLA students are doing it with DOs in their home town. One last bit of info.... I had the opportunity to meet several MDs from Georgetown ... they remarked how PCOM was well-respected and recognized nationally as an excellent school partly due to their long history as one of the premier osteopathic schools and their consistency in turning out top-notch competitive residents in both osteopathic and allopathic programs. So, residency issues are definitely a part of the decision-making process but you have to go with your gut feeling an be sure that you'll be in a comfortable, supportive environment for at least the first two years. Feel free to PM me or post questions!

Chagas

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed and got accepted at Nova. I would like to share what I was told during the interview about Nova and its academics and what not.
Nova has what is called the Interdisciplinary Generalist Curriculum (IGC) where students go to clinics to shadow doctors every other friday starting first semester. Nova thus provides an early exposure to clinical situations which I believe is beneficial.
There are 14 sites in Florida and some others in Georgia, Alabama etc that Nova's rotations program is affiliated with. Most notable hospitals in South Florida such as Memorial Healthcare System, North Broward Hospital District, UM Jackson Memorial, Palmetto General, Miami Heart, Mt. Sinai, Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital etc are among some of the choices. I was told 85-90 % of students get their top 5 choices of rotations.
An OPP fellow was also there who told us that Nova pays for the final two years tuition if you intend to do OPP fellowship for a year.
That is just an overview of good things happening at Nova. Others include medical missions to underserved areas i.e. Guatemala, Jamaica etc, Area Health Education Council program that teaches the general population about basic healthcare requirements and needs, lots of research being done at Nova etc.
When I asked the Director of Rotations at Nova what are the advantages to graduating from Nova as opposed to other schools, he said that Nova, having state of the art technology combined with traditional practice of medicine, will prepare you very well as a future primary care physician.

Hope that was helpful. Best of luck.

eveng and albah,
If you were accepted at PCOM then you were given a "big Brother/Sister" which would be one of my classmates in their first year. My advice would be that when they contact you, see if they can get the name of a third or fourth year student with whom you can speak.

Or better yet, your "big" may be from out of state themself.

I am partial to PCOM. When you attend PCOM, there are many opportunities to gain early exposure. But rather than requiring that you go every other Friday to shadow, you have the option of planning shadowing times at any of PCOM's community clinics. There is one required day at an assigned clinic in your first year.

In addition to these opportunities, you'll have the opportunity take part in the Standardized patient program in your first year.

I tried to be brief. If I can help any more email me. Good luck with your decisions.

Chisel
PCOM 2006

I was in this dilemma last year, but when I finally started thinking straight I came to this realization. When you're applying for your residencies, the school you go to doesn't matter very much at all. What matters is how well you've done throughout medical school. That being said, all medical schools in the U.S. are going to teach you the same things. Physiology doesn't change whether you learn it at Harvard or Pikeville. So, ask yourself this question, at what medical school will I personally be in the best position to succeed? For me, I was blown away by the friendliness of the people I met at NOVA. I also thought that having warm weather, sunshine and palm trees would keep me in better spirits over all. But besides keeping your academic well being in mind, keep your emotional well being in mind. I do not and will never buy into the philosophy that you have to suffer in order to succeed. This is your life here, you get to live it once. There is no reason never to enjoy yourself, even in medical school. I refuse to throw away 4 years. This is why going to Florida made sense for me and I am glad I made this decision. For some though, philly might be the answer to these same questions.

Thanks guys for the information! I never thought this can be such a tough decision. lol Actually, for me it may not be so difficult if I don't get off the Nova waitlist. But I have to be prepared just in case. I have to be confident in the school I choose in case I have Nova as an option.
In my decision list, PCOM beat Nova in almost all categories but I must admit both schools are fairly equal in that sense. And from the info you guys have posted, it all seems pretty similar as well. The only difference is that my general impression of PCOM was a bit better than Nova's. And Nova's biggest advantage is the location. I live in Florida so you could imagine the weather change I would have to go through if I move to Philly. lol But the weather is the least of my worries... it's just that this is where my family lives. ;) But we'll see what happens, things may change in the next few months and may make my decision easier, or perhaps I don't hear from Nova.
But anyways, thanks for everything!
Good luck!
Albah