PCOM expenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toogood1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell about how much do MS1 students spend on book, supplies, and instruments? I am trying to do a budget and this information would really be helpful. Thanks.

toogood1

Members don't see this ad.

I can help you out a little.

First, the instruments:
A Welch Allyn representative will meet with your class in the first week. He/She will tell you about the great deals that they will offer to you on Otoscope/Opthalmoscope, Sphygmometer, Reflex Hammers, Tuning Forks etc.....

They do have great deals with a great warranty extended to PCOM students. To get all of the top-of-the-line equipment will run you about $800 to $1000.

As far as books, it all depends on how much you will use books to study from. Many, if not all of the lecturers will give you handouts which include all of the material you should know.

To fill in the details you can either use the books in the library or the books you have purchased.

Must have books ( in my opinion):

1. Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease (this will be the "Bible" for Dr. Fogel - Pathology Class, very difficult exam questions Robbins fills in the blanks Fogel may not)

2. For Anatomy, buy every book - "Clinically Oriented Anatomy" by Moore, Netter's Anatomy , Netter Flash Cards (will sell out quickly in the book store), and there is a book with pictures of Cadavers...(the name of which is slipping my mind at the moment.)

3. Harrisons Book of Internal Medicine

My guess would be anywhere from $300-600/semester for books. (This is only a guess!!!!)

Hope this helps. Sorry for being long-winded. PM or email me for any other questions.

Chisel
MS-II, PCOM 2006

Thanks so much--that really helped!

toogood1

Unless the military is going to pay for it, I wouldn't buy the otoscope, opthalmoscope, or sphygmometer. You don't need it the first two years (reguardless of what PCS tells you). If you need it on rotation you can usually grab one from an attending. POMA will give you a stethoscope your first year. As far as books, it really depends on how you learn. Harrison's is a good book but it is rather lengthy. Get yourself Moore's Anatomy and Robbin's (not the baby versions) and if you find yourself desperate for more knowledge buy Harrison's. BRS Path and Anatomy are good books to skim through when studying for tests, but don't use it as a source of learning (they are called review books for a reason). I blew a lot of money first year buying books that were a huge waste of money. Oh and Microbiology Made Ridiculous Simple is a great book too.