PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The real question is Whether or not you play a musical instrument!?!

Good STATS mean you will be asked for a secondary application, a good application will mean you will be asked to interview, good social skills and professionalism will mean a likely nod for acceptance. Do you fit the college's mission?

In regards to being a savant, I don't think it matters. Have your father/mother make a request or fulfill the statistical demographics?

Anyway you do it, getting accepted is the objective.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be honest that I don't really understand you entire post, bcl2life, but I appreciate the mood of the message.

But, I think the objective is to get into somewhere you'll be happy and succeed.

Math isn't that unusual. My friend was a math/philosphy double major and goes to Wash U. right now. I know a lot more physics,chem, bio, math majors than just about anything else. Bio takes takes the cake by far. I was information science technology and german literature. I'm a bio major here, but I already got me degreez. I know people might get offended here, but sometimes it depends on the school whether your gpa is truly impressive. If I met a 4.0 in the german lit. major I was in, I'd probably be more impressed than a 4.0 in Bio. Not because the major is innately more difficult, but because the work involved tends to be graded more subjectively. I worked on a 30+ page essay discussing the status of women in modern turkish-german film. Stupid essay took me damn near a month of solid work and I got a B- on it, after getting it proofread by a native speaker and a phd in german. (3 years later and I'm still bitter)

One of the more unusual med students I met was a double major in dance and music theory. She was very intelligent and gifted on the piano.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got a letter in the mail from PCOM saying I didnt pay my application fee. Not a chance I am going to pay it now since there is no chance of me getting in. Anyone else have this happen?

I apologize if I sounded condescending. I suppose there were more sensitive ways to ask my question. I understand that people aren't defined by numbers but since that is what is reported, that is the easiest way to communicate.

I asked about Math, because I am a Math major and it is an unusual major. It feels abstract enough that it would be a little unusual in schools focused on training clinicians.

I won't spend anymore time on this conversation if all the replies I will get are as mean as the last few. I was just trying to get a sense of the student body and why there is a separation in the averages of MD and DO programs. Any input from current DO students would be welcome.

I understand that there are a lot of stereotypes and assumption about DOs. Sorry if I conveyed any of them.

That's crap! I mean, really, if you are accepted, who would know your MCAT or GPA unless yout tell them.

Does anyone know how full the class is right now? Are they still offering interview invites? My application was complete back in February. What's going on?

When I called Monday they told me they are still reviewing applications. I guess if they are still reviewing that means that they are still inviting for interviews?

When I called Monday they told me they are still reviewing applications. I guess if they are still reviewing that means that they are still inviting for interviews?

Today is the last day of scheduled interviews, but if this year is anything like last year...PCOM might add a few more days of interviews. I think it all depends on how many people send in their deposit, April 15th is approaching fast.

Does anyone know how full the class is right now? Are they still offering interview invites? My application was complete back in February. What's going on?

My friend interviewed last Thursday and at that point they told her that the class was 92% full.

My friend interviewed last Thursday and at that point they told her that the class was 92% full.

I spoke with them this afternoon. Class is 96% full. There will be 1-2 more interview dates; mainly for waitlist positions. They have a large number of complete applications that still have not yet been reviewed.

I spoke with them this afternoon. Class is 96% full. There will be 1-2 more interview dates; mainly for waitlist positions. They have a large number of complete applications that still have not yet been reviewed.
I would not talk about the fullness of the class until the big deposit is due on the 15th. People will hold acceptances for as long as they can but I am sure they are pretty much maxed out on the initial deposit people.

Hi, guys!
Congrats for those accepted! :luck:

I applied to the school back in September 2007.
They sent me no responce yet since I got a letter that I was "complete." I do not care, because I got to a school I wanted more, but this is just not nice: after all my efforts in applying don't I deserve a lousy reject letter?

I'm just wondering if anyone else got no response as well? :confused::confused:

I apologize if I sounded condescending. I suppose there were more sensitive ways to ask my question. I understand that people aren't defined by numbers but since that is what is reported, that is the easiest way to communicate.

I asked about Math, because I am a Math major and it is an unusual major. It feels abstract enough that it would be a little unusual in schools focused on training clinicians.

I won't spend anymore time on this conversation if all the replies I will get are as mean as the last few. I was just trying to get a sense of the student body and why there is a separation in the averages of MD and DO programs. Any input from current DO students would be welcome.

I understand that there are a lot of stereotypes and assumption about DOs. Sorry if I conveyed any of them.

Nevermind those mean messages. I would probably respond the same way if I was in osteopathic school. :D
I believe you will fit in cclass just fine. After the orientation nobody cares about your stats as an applicant. Also, honestly, you do not look so grate with your grades and probably won't be the "best" in class. :laugh:
Admit it or not, but at least half of curent osteopathic students applied to allopatic schools as well and wanted to get their first. Choosing between MD vs. DO schools most applicants go for MD even when it's more exprensive and the location is less convenient.
E.g., I was accepted to a DO school and I am still waitlisted in two MD schools. If I had to go to that DO school, I would be pretty happy. You still become a phisician and the school is GREAT! I have friends there; I attended few classes... They study everything MD students study + extra osteopathic stuff. Students are smart and motivated and most of them will make good doctors.
I know some competitive allopathic residency programs and they do accept qualified DO students. No much problems with that.
DO is less recognized that MD, but there is no much difference once you become a physician. [I think you still have "MD" on your car's plates, lol]
So if you have options just chose the school you like more, but osteopathic schools are just fine and will feel comfortable there.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent me no responce yet since I got a letter that I was "complete." I do not care, because I got to a school I wanted more, but this is just not nice: after all my efforts in applying don't I deserve a lousy reject letter?

Don't worry. Just sit tight, you'll get it.

Hi, guys!
Congrats for those accepted! :luck:

I'm just wondering if anyone else got no response as well? :confused::confused:

Ya so I haven't heard anything either. I haven't even received a letter saying I was complete. I have called and know that I am complete. I was complete back in November, but they were waiting for my Jan MCAT scores. They received them on Feb 26th by fax and Feb 28th through AACOMAS. hmm. Oh well.

good luck to those who are waiting..hope to see you next year!

for those who have been accepted-have you received any type of financial aid statement?

good luck to those who are waiting..hope to see you next year!

for those who have been accepted-have you received any type of financial aid statement?

I got a large envelope in the mail about a month ago with all the financial aid requirements...FAFSA....etc. If you haven't received anything, call the financial aid office or check nucleus for more information and downloadable forms if you have your login and password.

This is an entirely different subject but if any PCOM students could reply I'd appreciate it.

I am a PreMed with MCAT 31P, GPA 3.9. My question is whether I will feel out of place at an Osteopathic school since my academic scores are higher than the averages. Are there many students that have scores high enough for MD schools but choose to go to a DO school because of the philosophy of them?

Also, do students generally work part time jobs or just use loans to pay for their food and rent.

Lastly, do you know any former Math or Physics majors at PCOM?

Thanks

I haven't looked at the next page to see what has already been said about this...but oh-my-god. WTF is your problem? The only reason you would feel out of place is because of you fat head not being able to fit through PCOMs doors.

This is an entirely different subject but if any PCOM students could reply I'd appreciate it.

I am a PreMed with MCAT 31P, GPA 3.9. My question is whether I will feel out of place at an Osteopathic school since my academic scores are higher than the averages. Are there many students that have scores high enough for MD schools but choose to go to a DO school because of the philosophy of them?

Also, do students generally work part time jobs or just use loans to pay for their food and rent.

Thanks
Maybe you just went to an easy undergrad school. Why is your MCAT so low? I worked full-time when studying for mine, so I only got a 33. I am headed to GA-PCOM.

I haven't looked at the next page to see what has already been said about this...but oh-my-god. WTF is your problem? The only reason you would feel out of place is because of you fat head not being able to fit through PCOMs doors.

LMAO now that was priceless:laugh::smuggrin::thumbup:

Thanks

yes you will feel out of place, you will also be left out of activities b/c the students will think that you are a snobby smart person.

students generally work full time b/c school is so easy compared to allo.

there are no former math and physics majors. most of the students had easier majors such as history of stripes and home economics.

Any news on interview invites? I have heard nothing from PCOM. I have called to confirm that I am complete. Maybe I'll call today and ask the status of my application.

hello.

do students live in the center city area and commute?
im looking to live w/a close friend who currently lives in the rittenhouse area. i know its a nice area but is it worth it as a first year?

how's traffic/travel time to school/parking, etc?

thanks! :)

hello.

do students live in the center city area and commute?
im looking to live w/a close friend who currently lives in the rittenhouse area. i know its a nice area but is it worth it as thanks! :)

Most students live near school, or in the manyunk roxborough area. I live right on Rittenhouse, and love it. Parking is horrendous though. You'll need to get a spot in a lot, and it's crazy expensive ($250/month). I definitely recommend living in center city or the art museum area though. If you live out by school there's not really anything to do. Manyunk is OK, but I feel like the population is a little too homogenous. Center city is the way to go. Traffic really isn't that bad because you're going out of the city when most people are coming in and vice versa.

ah ic, thanks!
will look into parking spots, yeah i heard they were $$$.

any other thoughts?

hey does anyone know who to contact at pcom, because i feel the admissions operators don't really tell you anything. I have been complete since october and haven't heard a thing. I guess i have no chance this late, but i would still like feedback. A phone number would be nice :)...

hey does anyone know who to contact at pcom, because i feel the admissions operators don't really tell you anything. I have been complete since october and haven't heard a thing. I guess i have no chance this late, but i would still like feedback. A phone number would be nice :)...

I am sorry to hear that the operators haven't been helpful. But have you tried directly emailing the director of admissions? I have done that with a lot of schools and gotten better responses but then again sometimes you get no response at all. But perhaps an idea to pursue at this point. I am not sure if they are still interviewing but maybe you could get a better response about anything about your application by going directly to the source.

When does the adcom meet again?

When does the adcom meet again?

Are you on the waitlist? If not, they are basically done with interviews. They had one group today of ~5-6 people and I heard that was the last group

Are you on the waitlist? If not, they are basically done with interviews. They had one group today of ~5-6 people and I heard that was the last group

My interview was in the first week of April.

My interview was in the first week of April.

You most likely have another couple weeks of waiting time. Did Deborah tell ya when you will hear back? Usually it is around 3 weeks, but you were the 2-3rd last group of interviewees which means a response probably later than that. (They probably are waiting for all the april 15th deposit deadline people to secure their seat)

hey does anyone know if they are still interviewing?

never mid... just called them, they are done with the cycle

If you feel overqualified for a school, then by all means don't apply there. It sounds like you have a superiority complex, which will not make you feel "in place" anywhere you go. But yeah, youre not the only one with a good gpa and MCAT, so dont flatter yourself.

The average MCAT at most DO programs is a 26, usually average GPA is a 3.3-3.4.

does anyone know when the financial aid packets are going out? itd be nice to know how much they are going to cover so i could take out whatever more money i need

The average MCAT at most DO programs is a 26, usually average GPA is a 3.3-3.4.

Averages are funny like that.

For every 21 they let in, that means they take a 31.

I'm reasonably certain that there aren't classes full of 26's out there. :p

1) No one gives a damn about your major. It might help a little because it's considered more difficult, but not because it's unusual.

2) No one was being mean, your post honestly sounded like a joke.

3) If your primarily concerned about numbers PCOM's average GPA is 3.4, science GPA 3.3, and MCAT averages about 8 in each section. Allopathic general averages according to 2009 MSAR for accepted students is about 30 MCAT (clearly there is significant variation), average GPA between 3.55-3.6, average science GPA is about 3.5. These numbers all vary because they are presented as percentage of accepted students so I tried estimate what numbers represent the threshold for more students being accepted than not.

As you can see your numbers are good, but we also know nothing about you beyond stats. You can also see that PCOM's standards are not significantly lower than allopathic schools in general.

To offer an honest answer to your initial question (and I don't mean this rudely), there are plenty of students at PCOM with better numbers than yours. The notion that osteopathic schools are backups (which PCOM reports are a high minority of their student body) is quickly becoming obsolete and untrue.

Does anyone know of a Dr. Arnold?? I'm pretty sure he is/was an adcom or was on the board and what not.

Does anyone have info on the wait list and if it has moved?

Does anyone have info on the wait list and if it has moved?

Haven't heard anything "official" but my guess is that the primary waitlist movement has already happened. They were about 95% full towards the end of April. I imagine they freed up some space on April 14 when the $2k was due. Since they're not interviewing anymore it would make sense that soon after 4/14 they would pull people off the waitlist and into the class if they had any space. I would guess they're operating near capacity now.

On the other hand...
Im not sure how much the allo deadlines will impact the osteo waitlists, but they might. Remember that 5/15 is the date that you can only hold one allo accept. A lot of allo spots will open up mid May and I imagine that there are a decent number of students on allo waitlists, holding osteo accepts. Some may choose an allo school. Im not sure if the number of students will be significant though.

Haven't heard anything "official" but my guess is that the primary waitlist movement has already happened. They were about 95% full towards the end of April. I imagine they freed up some space on April 14 when the $2k was due. Since they're not interviewing anymore it would make sense that soon after 4/14 they would pull people off the waitlist and into the class if they had any space. I would guess they're operating near capacity now.

On the other hand...
Im not sure how much the allo deadlines will impact the osteo waitlists, but they might. Remember that 5/15 is the date that you can only hold one allo accept. A lot of allo spots will open up mid May and I imagine that there are a decent number of students on allo waitlists, holding osteo accepts. Some may choose an allo school. Im not sure if the number of students will be significant though.

Ya Has anyone else out there got in off the waitlist yet....I am waiting too and haven't heard anything. I was thinking around this time and after the May 15th too but that is shaky because after someone has paid the 2K, they can hold it pretty much till late July (so who knows if people will bother to notify them)....

Hey all,

I have a question...

During my interview I made the "mistake" of calling the school P-COM as in .com instead of saying each individual letter...P...C....O...M...

Believe it or not the interviewers appeared to be bothered by this "slip up". I was wondering, do most osteopathic medical schools prefer that students sound out each letter? Does Lake Eerie Med hate being called LE COM? Do they demand that everyone pronounce their school's name L E C O M?

I'm from around the area and I had never heard PCOM referred to as P C O M until my interview day, so maybe it's a new thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I have a question...

During my interview I made the "mistake" of calling the school P-COM as in .com instead of saying each individual letter...P...C....O...M...

Believe it or not the interviewers appeared to be bothered by this "slip up". I was wondering, do most osteopathic medical schools prefer that students sound out each letter? Does Lake Eerie Med hate being called LE COM? Do they demand that everyone pronounce their school's name L E C O M?

I'm from around the area and I had never heard PCOM referred to as P C O M until my interview day, so maybe it's a new thing. I was just wondering if anyone knew what the deal was.

Thanks!

The adminstration calls it P-C-O-M. The students mostly call it P-COM. The Docs like to use P-C-O-M to accentuate the O- for Osteopathic. "We are not a dot com" (What you will hear).

Seriously, who cares in my opinion...I use both depending on my mood and who I'm speaking to.

The adminstration calls it P-C-O-M. The students mostly call it P-COM. The Docs like to use P-C-O-M to accentuate the O- for Osteopathic. "We are not a dot com" (What you will hear).

Seriously, who cares in my opinion...I use both depending on my mood and who I'm speaking to.

Dude, you didn't go to mitt or U-CLA.

Call it what you want. I end up saying PCOM just because people tend to understand it better when you say it like that

Dude, you didn't go to mitt or U-CLA.

Call it what you want. I end up saying PCOM just because people tend to understand it better when you say it like that

:thumbup: :p

It seems like there is a discussion of how to pronounce our school name every month or so.

Wait Jonny after re-reading your post I'm confused. Are you saying you call it P-C-O-M? :confused:

Nevermind! SDN is my procrastination tool when it comes to Boards...

Does anyone know if PCOM is still inviting people for interview???