PCO Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFH09

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a interview with PCO or already had it?? advice?? Im getting nervous!!!:eek:

also GPA/OAT from anyone who got accepted there?

thanks!!!:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have a interview with PCO or already had it?? advice?? Im getting nervous!!!:eek:

also GPA/OAT from anyone who got accepted there?

thanks!!!:luck:

I got an invite...

I have my interview there on Friday. My undergrad gpa was around a 3.0 but I did a year of grad school and got a 3.6. My OAT was a 320.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck on your interviews, I have mine next Thursday.

I just had my interview. Relax, it's more conversational. I suggest go over the questions in the interview feedback for PCO. My Overall GPA is 3.0 Prereq GPA is 3.5 and OAT 320

I had my interview for PCO earlier this month. Actually just a few hours ago today I got my acceptance email- I'm pretty excited since PCO is my first choice! Now I just gotta wait for the official letter...

As far as how my interview went, the professor was more interested in talking to me about optometry in general, my reasons for wanting to be an optometrist, and my experiences in college rather than the form he had to fill out while we talked. I was still kinda stressed out about it, but keep in mind that they just want to get to know you.

As far as what to do beforehand, look up some information about the school- I paged through their student guide the night before and checked out the coursework and all that. Look through the website too. My interviewer also wanted to know my opinions on corporate optometry (the $40 eye exams in Wal-Mart and stuff like that...)- if you've done any shadowing I'm sure the optometrist talked about corporate vs. private optometry a little bit. Also be ready to answer the "what about ophthalmology?" question.

I shadowed 3 optometrists for a day each, they each were really great for talking about the field and their opinions on problems etc. that optometrists face today. They also let me sit in on exams, which let me see each person's style of practice.

Google "med school interview tips" or something like that for other advice, you can find some good questions to ask the interviewer- since they always ask if you have questions at the end.

Here's my stats:
Undergrad: University of Connecticut Class of 2008, Chemistry Major, Biology Minor
GPA: 3.52

OAT Average: 370
OAT Total Science: 400

Interviewed with Dr. Charles Wormington
Interview length- about 50 mins

Lemme know how it goes- good luck!

-Marc

Reactions: 1 user
Wow you interviewed with Wormington! Good for you! He would be great to interview with since he teaches biochem and genetics and clinical skills and you basically see him everyday for the first month here. He is a great prof and is one that knows everyones name, so he will remember you next year! For anyone that has interviews coming up, relax! Seriously! There is nobody you could interview with that is going to be anything but a great conversation. I interviewed with Dr. Lewis last year (the president) and there wasn't even anything to be nervous about with him. Just be able to explain why you want to be an optometrist, what an optometrist is (Say THE primary eye care provider and you will get extra points), why you want to be a primary care provider instead of an ophthalmologist (a secondary or tertiary provider) and talk about your experiences.