Pcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iryna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I've already asked some questions about PCAT, and read other threads on the topic. However, it seems like I need some advice.
The thing is that I've registered for the PCAT on the 25th, October. At the moment I'm doing second semester of BIO, 1st semester of Orgo, and Anatomy. Obviously, I will not be done with those by the time of the test. But I'm sort of trying to quickly go over the rest of the material on my own. (by the way, any advice as to where get the best brief review?) I'm planning on applying to University of IL and Midwestern. I do have some doubts whether to take it now or lose one year?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it now, concentrate on cellular bio, and Barron's wasn't a bad review. You're very prepared. How's that? ;)

If you feel like you do need a review class, Midwestern does offer a PCAT review course. But like the previous post, you should be fine. You will see Orgo questions on there that you learned the 1st week of school (whats an alkyne, alkene etc) You should also be fine with Biology. Good luck

Yes, I would agree with what has been said. I used the Barrons and Arco's PCAT Review books. I would say that about 85-90% of the questions were right on the same difficulty as the actual test. So, if you can answer the majority of those questions you should be just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by South2006
If you feel like you do need a review class, Midwestern does offer a PCAT review course. But like the previous post, you should be fine. You will see Orgo questions on there that you learned the 1st week of school (whats an alkyne, alkene etc) You should also be fine with Biology. Good luck

Yeah, I've heard about the Ochem. Thanks for wishing me good luck, I'll definitely need it:)

Originally posted by dcreynol
Yes, I would agree with what has been said. I used the Barrons and Arco's PCAT Review books. I would say that about 85-90% of the questions were right on the same difficulty as the actual test. So, if you can answer the majority of those questions you should be just fine.

That helps. I?ve got Barron?s book already. Now that you are saying that the questions are about the same difficulty, I can figure out how much into details I should go. Thanks for the input.

I took the PCAT last March.....right at the end of my Spring Break. Did I plan on using the break to brush up and review my Barron's book? YES! Did it happen: MOST DEFINITELY NOT.

My roommate and I looked over some sample questions in Barron's the day before the test. We both scored 97th percentile.

Freshen up if it has been a while since bio and chem......but if you are in science courses now......you will be fresh on the info and more than good to go.

Hey have you received confirmation of your registration for October's test. I registered about a week before the deadline and I haven't heard anything from the psycho. testing corp. Is this normal?

Originally posted by rmp
Thanks for the info!

When I called them, they said they usually send the confirmation info a week or so before the test. So, don't worry.

Iryna are you applying to UIC's Pharmacy school? I'm applying also. Hopefully we both get accepted:)

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me how scaled score compares to the percentile. I know that this will differ from year to year, but still, roughly what should the range of scaled score be to be in 90s %?

How long will the exam take? I'm sitting for it on the 25th and I have friends in town that weekend and I'm wondering what time (approx.) I'll be done so we can make plans for that evening.

Originally posted by rmp
How long will the exam take? I'm sitting for it on the 25th and I have friends in town that weekend and I'm wondering what time (approx.) I'll be done so we can make plans for that evening.

3-4 hours

I was wondering how the scaled scores relate to percentiles as well :confused:
And is it just me, or is arco test prep much harder than barrons?
O and I got my confirmation letter from psyh. 2day, that was a relief, how annoying is it that they wait till the last minute to send those out!!

Originally posted by Amith
I was wondering how the scaled scores relate to percentiles as well :confused:
And is it just me, or is arco test prep much harder than barrons?

I've heard that there are many irrelevant questions in arco. On the other hand, people say barron's is good.

its been 2 years since i have had gen chem....any specific topics that you would advise in studying for this weekend's pcat?

i have the barron's book and have done fairly poor on the chem section......is this accurate of the info on the pcat?

thanks.

You need to review general concepts and work out a few problems. I found the Barron's chemistry review was much easier than the PCAT. I didn't have time to finish all the problems, so I went through and answered conceptual questions first. With the time that was left, I worked on problems that used math. Since you don't have a calculator, these were a little time consuming. The problems I didn't get to, I just bubbled in a letter.

I noticed that the barron's practice exams give you nearly an hour for the chem section, whereas on the pcat only half an hour is allowed...so try the arco test prep, it's much more difficult than the barron's but Im guessing(hoping) the PCAT difficult level will be somewhere inbetween the two. Good luck on saturday. We all need it =)