This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prepharm21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello,
I wanted to know if organic chem 1 or organic chem 2 were tested heavily on the pcat? I have not taken the courses yet and want to know if I should wait and take the course if I will be able to learn some stuff on my own. I am familiar with some organic 1 topics but not the majority of them. Would I need to know the majority of topics taught in class and if so which ones should I somewhat be familiar with? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hello,
I wanted to know if organic chem 1 or organic chem 2 were tested heavily on the pcat? I have not taken the courses yet and want to know if I should wait and take the course if I will be able to learn some stuff on my own. I am familiar with some organic 1 topics but not the majority of them. Would I need to know the majority of topics taught in class and if so which ones should I somewhat be familiar with? Thanks!
Usually not so much organic is tested, but know about SN1/SN2 -E1/E2 reactns, markonikov and anti-markonikov, carboxylic acids and all its derivatives, pay attention to LiAlH4 and NaHBr, how the COOH contributes to solubility, boiling points etc, Aromatic compounds, Allicyclic etc...these are the few I can remember, I am taking again too

Sent from my SGH-I317M using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
I'd agree with hecksflakes. The exam had questions that tested for familiarity with common biochemical structures and how those structures would be effected given certain conditions. Questions did not have the straight forward format of a class exam, rather the questions were directed at determining your knowledge of how Ochem and Gen Chem topics are applied to processes. Roughly half of the questions are passage related and then other half are stand-alone questions, in my experience taking the PCAT twice now.

EDIT: You could check out a practice exam from next step or kaplan to see if you're able to wrap your head around the chem section without taking the classes.

I'd agree with hecksflakes. The exam had questions that tested for familiarity with common biochemical structures and how those structures would be effected given certain conditions. Questions did not have the straight forward format of a class exam, rather the questions were directed at determining your knowledge of how Ochem and Gen Chem topics are applied to processes. Roughly half of the questions are passage related and then other half are stand-alone questions, in my experience taking the PCAT twice now.

EDIT: You could check out a practice exam from next step or kaplan to see if you're able to wrap your head around the chem section without taking the classes.
Ok, do you think if i get a pcat prep book and review that It will be enough to do well in that section? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I second @hecksflakes and @bell0s . Organic chemistry makes up 30% of the Chemical Processes section (~14 questions), but it's generally on a much more basic level than your organic chem classes. Organic I is much more high-yield than Organic II for the PCAT - you aren't expected to know every single possible organic reaction, but rather you're expected to know the fundamentals and some really important reactions, like SN1/SN2.

If you search online for Pearson's PCAT Test Blueprint and Sample Items, it'll tell you exactly what's tested for organic chemistry, which is:
  • Structural formulas and bonding
  • Properties of organic compounds
  • Oxidation-reduction reactions
  • Hydration and dehydration
  • Hydrolysis
  • Addition/substitution/elimination
What really helped me was creating my own flashcards for reactions, and studying them on the bus, before bed, on the way to class, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, do you think if i get a pcat prep book and review that It will be enough to do well in that section? Thanks

I think if you review a prep book and take a practice exam, you should have an idea of what you need to do in order to prepare.