PCAT Scores - September 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laughablex

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I just took my PCAT.
My preliminary report:
VA : 385, 22%
BIO: 399, 40%
RC: 385, 25%
QA: 387, 21%
CHM: 402, 51%
Composite: 392, 27%

I have a 3.85 GPA, math GPA of 4.00, and science GPA Of 3.8.
Guess ill have to take it again....
Boy do I hate standardized tests..
Anyone else take it today?
Also, any study tips?
I don't believe any school will like this score, even with my GPA :(

Members don't see this ad.

what did you use to study? You can improve that... Were you planning on applying this cycle ?

Well, I just took my PCAT.
My preliminary report:
VA : 385, 22%
BIO: 399, 40%
RC: 385, 25%
QA: 387, 21%
CHM: 402, 51%
Composite: 392, 27%

I have a 3.85 GPA, math GPA of 4.00, and science GPA Of 3.8.
Guess ill have to take it again....
Boy do I hate standardized tests..
Anyone else take it today?
Also, any study tips?
I don't believe any school will like this score, even with my GPA :(

You have a VERY strong GPA... schools in california do not require PCAT and with your GPA I believe you can get in. Do you have pharmacy experience?

If you don't want to go to California, a lot of people recommend Dr. Collins PCAT prep material. What did you use to study?

I'm sorry for your score, but don't worry...There is also the option of taking it again, and killing it!!!! You just have to put in the work, and given by your GPA, it shows that you're willing to work hard.

what did you use to study? You can improve that... Were you planning on applying this cycle ?
Yes, I used the Kaplan book and took many PCAT practice tests. I think I let my nerves get the best of me..I have already turned in all my PharmCAS and application materials so I'm going to try to get a spot for a test in October or November.

Members don't see this ad :)
You have a VERY strong GPA... schools in california do not require PCAT and with your GPA I believe you can get in. Do you have pharmacy experience?

If you don't want to go to California, a lot of people recommend Dr. Collins PCAT prep material. What did you use to study?

I'm sorry for your score, but don't worry...There is also the option of taking it again, and killing it!!!! You just have to put in the work, and given by your GPA, it shows that you're willing to work hard.
I do not have pharmacy experience but I do have LOTS of leadership roles and volunteer work.

I do not have pharmacy experience but I do have LOTS of leadership roles and volunteer work.

I think you should have a shot, but you should REALLY get on top of getting some Pharmacy experience. They're gonna want to know why you want a career in this profession and they like seeing that by some hands-on experience. Even getting a pharm tech license/certification would help you out.

You have an amazing GPA, but that PCAT score will definitely limit your list of potential schools. I have heard numerous stories of people being accepted with low scores, however, I would recommend you retake the test and at least shoot for an average score.

I took my PCAT this morning too and am VERY happy (surprised and ecstatic) about my composite score of 99%. However, I do NOT feel confident about either of those 30 minute essays. Is anyone in a similar boat as me? I'm worried i'm going to get a 1 or 2 or something on the writing. Would I have to retake???? Do schools have a minimum score requirement for writing?

I know, I know I'm never satisfied. Haha.

I took my PCAT this morning too and am VERY happy (surprised and ecstatic) about my composite score of 99%. However, I do NOT feel confident about either of those 30 minute essays. Is anyone in a similar boat as me? I'm worried i'm going to get a 1 or 2 or something on the writing. Would I have to retake???? Do schools have a minimum score requirement for writing?

I've heard, they don't care at all, and some schools have their own essays to write... So does not matter

I think it's pretty impossible to get a 1. If your essay has some format, with a few paragraphs, decent argument against/for the topic...you should get no lower than a 3 or 4.

I thought the same when I took mine in July, I didn't even get to finish my essays but I received a 4 and the mean was about a 3.4 or so (i don't remember exactly). So if your essay has some type of format, with a few paragraphs. I think you should be fine. Regardless, it doesn't get accounted into your composite score. I also don't think many schools use the essay portion...most schools will have you write an essay on arrival of the interview to test your essay/writing ability.

Congrats on the amazing score!!!! Any last minute tips you can offer? :)

I think it's pretty impossible to get a 1. If your essay has some format, with a few paragraphs, decent argument against/for the topic...you should get no lower than a 3 or 4.

I thought the same when I took mine in July, I didn't even get to finish my essays but I received a 4 and the mean was about a 3.4 or so (i don't remember exactly). So if your essay has some type of format, with a few paragraphs. I think you should be fine. Regardless, it doesn't get accounted into your composite score. I also don't think many schools use the essay portion...most schools will have you write an essay on arrival of the interview to test your essay/writing ability.

Congrats on the amazing score!!!! Any last minute tips you can offer? :)

Yeah you are probably right. Thank you!

As for tips, last night in bed I just skimmed all the notes I took (not a ton) when reviewing the 3 pearson practice tests. I recognized some of the same questions, so I think having that really recent review helped a lot. Then this morning I accidentally got up too early so I spent about 45 min reviewing the Collins July 2012 updates, and some random analogies. Again, was glad I did because I saw some questions that I wouldn't have recognized if I hadn't reviewed them that morning.

Well thanks. I have a pretty legitimate reason and background of why I chose pharmacy as a career that I would not share to the open internet. But my pharmCAS essay was very strong and I have many letters of recommendations from pharmacists. I just signed up to take the PCAT again in November, as this was my first time taking the PCAT. Wish me luck..

oh gosh I hope I wont get this pcat score on weds. :( Bc I have the same GPA as u are

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah...good luck. I already signed up for another - nothing but eat sleep and breathing PCAT until November 8th

Congrats on the 99!! Did the Collins 2013 updates help you much?

Yeah the Collins were essential, especially for chem. I thought the bio review was a little too basic but my major was biology so that made up for it. But I think after a certain amount of studying theres only so much you can cram in, and when the test day comes you just have to keep your cool and know when to give up and guess on a problem. It took me a long time to just accept that while i was studying

Yeah the Collins were essential, especially for chem. I thought the bio review was a little too basic but my major was biology so that made up for it. But I think after a certain amount of studying theres only so much you can cram in, and when the test day comes you just have to keep your cool and know when to give up and guess on a problem. It took me a long time to just accept that while i was studying
What was your break down if you don't mind me asking? :)

Verbal: 461/99
Bio: 440/95
RC: 431/94
QA: 434/93
Chemistry: 463/99
Composite: 446/99

omg that is damn near perfect!!!!!! congrats on such an amazing score! so you did all of collins and ppt? yikes... makes me so much more nervous about tmr's exam :scared:

omg that is damn near perfect!!!!!! congrats on such an amazing score! so you did all of collins and ppt? yikes... makes me so much more nervous about tmr's exam :scared:

Thank you! I did all of the collins (except RC) and ppt. I read all of the Kaplan chem and bio chapters about a month ago, which probably was overkill but was helpful just because I haven't been in college for over a year so I needed more of a refresher. It would probably helpful to just kinda skim over all the various tests and mentally note what the answer is to the problems you find tricky. Don't be too nervous and don't try to kill yourself studying tonight! I didn't study at all yesterday, because I knew I would be too burnt out.

:
Verbal: 461/99
Bio: 440/95
RC: 431/94
QA: 434/93
Chemistry: 463/99
Composite: 446/99

ummm.. WOW?!?!:eek: you rocked the hell out of that exam!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D I don't think I've ever seen scores like yours, you truly did amazing!!! You should make a thread for how your studied lol.

:

ummm.. WOW?!?!:eek: you rocked the hell out of that exam!!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D I don't think I've ever seen scores like yours, you truly did amazing!!! You should make a thread for how your studied lol.

Thank you! I was worried they somehow switched my scores with someone else when they handed me the paper! Couldn't believe it.
Pretty much got my "inspiration" from this thread

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=754083

Except they say they only studied about 1.5 hours a day. I studied A TON nonstop for two months. After work for 3-5 hours (unless I couldn't stand it I would take a day or two off) and 8 hrs a day on the weekends.

This is one of the rare times I have sat on my keyboard and said "holy crap". That score will open many doors for you. Good luck!

LOL ME TOO!!!! I was literally like "OMG" I'm jelly!!! haha you're so lucky!!!!!!! That score didn't just open a door for you, it knocked down a whole building!!! haha CONGRATS times 100!!! :D:D:D:D

what did you study for reading? I took it today and didn't manage to do very well in it.

To be honest the only prep for RC I did was the three Pearson tests and 1 of the Collins tests. I think I just got lucky w my passages on the real thing, cuz I was definitely just winging it

So I just got back from my PCAT...and these are my preliminary scores:

VA 412 / 68
BIO 435 / 92
RC 389 / 30
QA 416 / 77
CHEM 449 / 97
Composite: 420 / 85
cGPA: ~3.3

How good am I standing? Not too sure about the RC :(
I've studied a good 2 months for it, used Kaplan, Klein books to review o-chem, some McGraw Hill, and the 3 Pearson tests :S...Don't know why i bombed the RC so bad though. It was probably the fact I only slept 3 hours haha...my nerves got to me! I even went to bed early!!!! ughh

Hey guys/girls first post.

Verb 409/63
Biology 421/79
Read 417/81
Quant 405/58 yikes
Chem 443/95

Composite 419/84

What do u think are my possibilities. Is UF out of the question? Nova South Eastern?
Have a 3.05 overall gpa
Science gpa is +3.4

Just finished pcat. I thought it was really hard and was certain I bombed but I did OK!

Verbal Ability - 419 - 78%
Biology - 435 - 92%
Reading - 460 - 99%
Quant - 410 - 67%
Chemistry - 443 - 95%

Composite - 433 - 96%

Is the Quant an issue or am I good? GPA 3.56 with strong up trend

So I just got back from my PCAT...and these are my preliminary scores:

VA 412 / 68
BIO 435 / 92
RC 389 / 30
QA 416 / 77
CHEM 449 / 97
Composite: 420 / 85
cGPA: ~3.3

How good am I standing? Not too sure about the RC :(
I've studied a good 2 months for it, used Kaplan, Klein books to review o-chem, some McGraw Hill, and the 3 Pearson tests :S...Don't know why i bombed the RC so bad though. It was probably the fact I only slept 3 hours haha...my nerves got to me! I even went to bed early!!!! ughh

Strong standing. In my opinion, you do not need to retake the PCAT unless your specific has a cut-off for the subsections.

Just finished pcat. I thought it was really hard and was certain I bombed but I did OK!

Verbal Ability - 419 - 78%
Biology - 435 - 92%
Reading - 460 - 99%
Quant - 410 - 67%
Chemistry - 443 - 95%

Composite - 433 - 96%

Is the Quant an issue or am I good? GPA 3.56 with strong up trend

You did more than OK. Congrats and your quant score is absolutely fine.

I have around a 3.0 GPA with PCAT scores:

Verbal: 419/78
Biology: 430/89
Reading Comprehension: 406/62
Quantitative Ability: 447/97
Chemistry: 434/91
Composite: 427/92

Should I retake it? Or am I good? Personally, I am disappointed because I have done much better on my practice tests (for all subjects).

Hey guys/girls first post.

Verb 409/63
Biology 421/79
Read 417/81
Quant 405/58 yikes
Chem 443/95

Composite 419/84

What do u think are my possibilities. Is UF out of the question? Nova South Eastern?
Have a 3.05 overall gpa
Science gpa is +3.4

I'm curious to know that myself cuz my stats are very similar.

I have around a 3.0 GPA with PCAT scores:

Verbal: 419/78
Biology: 430/89
Reading Comprehension: 406/62
Quantitative Ability: 447/97
Chemistry: 434/91
Composite: 427/92

Should I retake it? Or am I good? Personally, I am disappointed because I have done much better on my practice tests (for all subjects).

Man I have your exact GPA and I got an 84 and I'm rolling with that. If I had your score I'd be sleeping like a baby.

Oh no no I didn't take it that way. I was trying to say that IMO, if I were in your shoes, I don't think I would worry. You killed the 3 most important sections and if the rest of your app is balanced I think you'll be fine. I spoke with a guy who used to be on the UF admissions board and he reiterated to me that the PCAT is just one aspect of the application. That he saw people get in who had very poor PCAT scores. So if you have experience, or volunteer then you should be ok. Thats just IMO...but I just took my pcat and haven't applied anywhere yet so what do I know lol

HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?

I took my pcat today and these are my scores:
VA: 384/21
Bio: 414/69
RC: 344/1 :eek::scared::(
QA: 423/85
Chem: 422/81
Composite: 397/38:(:(:(:(

How is my composite so low?! Could this be wrong? I really don't know what happened in RC section, I didn't even know that was possible. What do I do? (Please be nice)

Just took the test earlier today.

Verbal - 437/94
Bio - 430/89
Reading Comp - 417/81 (had to poop in the middle of this section... LOL!) :naughty:
Math - 423/85
Chemistry - 443/95
Composite - 430/94

Any idea on how good my chances of getting into UC SD are? I know they don't require PCAT but I wouldn't feel bad sending them this score. Definitely not retaking!

Unofficial report from day of but should be pretty close to the real score.

Just took the test earlier today.

Verbal - 437/94
Bio - 430/89
Reading Comp - 417/81 (had to poop in the middle of this section... LOL!) :naughty:
Math - 423/85
Chemistry - 443/95
Composite - 430/94

Any idea on how good my chances of getting into UC SD are? I know they don't require PCAT but I wouldn't feel bad sending them this score. Definitely not retaking!

Unofficial report from day of but should be pretty close to the real score.

I am a UCSD undergrad alum and have friends who go to UCSD Pharm. PCAT has no bearing on your chances what so ever. Otherwise, good score, mate!

WOOOOOOOOO

Verbal 419/78
Bio 430/89
RC 409/68 :laugh:
QA 430/91
Chem 449/97
Composite 92

Does anyone know how much the score changes when u get the official report? I'm stoked that I got a 92, I hope it doesn't drop. :laugh:

Ran out of time on every single section and thought I did horribly. Thank God...

Just took it for the second time since the July one (July Composite: 39). This time my scores are:

VA:63
Bio:89
RC:69
QA:99
Chem:91
Composite:94

I was so relieved when I saw the numbers on my score report. I felt so broken after the first time I took it and questioned whether or not I should try again or just give up. Now the right decision is clear. First time around I used Kaplan's 2012 guide and REA flashcards book. This time I used Dr. Collin's, Princeton Review, and the Pearson practice exams and all three really helped a lot more than Kaplan. So if you didn't do too well the first time, just stick with it and change your studying whether it's your mindset or materials used.

When taking the exam, don't let your progress in one section hinder your progress in another. It's no use to be stressed about the verbal ability section when doing bio and so on. At the end of each section, use extra time to review each question. If you still have time, use the rest of it to relax. Do not finish a section early and move on right away; the test is not a race and you need to make sure you are going into each section mentally prepared. Don't come to the exam with negative thoughts either. Tell yourself that you studied and put in the effort to succeed, so there is nothing to worry about. So for people who didn't do too hot this time, there's still time to turn it around :D.

Just took it for the second time since the July one (July Composite: 39). This time my scores are:

I was so relieved when I saw the numbers on my score report. I felt so broken after the first time I took it and questioned whether or not I should try again or just give up. Now the right decision is clear. First time around I used Kaplan's 2012 guide and REA flashcards book. This time I used Dr. Collin's, Princeton Review, and the Pearson practice exams and all three really helped a lot more than Kaplan. So if you didn't do too well the first time, just stick with it and change your studying whether it's your mindset or materials used.

When taking the exam, don't let your progress in one section hinder your progress in another. It's no use to be stressed about the verbal ability section when doing bio and so on. At the end of each section, use extra time to review each question. If you still have time, use the rest of it to relax. Do not finish a section early and move on right away; the test is not a race and you need to make sure you are going into each section mentally prepared. Don't come to the exam with negative thoughts either. Tell yourself that you studied and put in the effort to succeed, so there is nothing to worry about. So for people who didn't do too hot this time, there's still time to turn it around :D.

WOW..you did great!!! Can you post your previous breakdown from July? Seriously, super inspirational...I hoped for the same for myself, unfortunately did not come out as victorious (as clearly stated in a few of my earlier posts). Congratulations!!! Seriously amazing!!!

Just give PCAT a call, and discuss with them your situation. Due to your 50+ increase on the exam (AWESOME, BTW) they will automatically cancel your scores once the official scores come out. Just tell them you bought new study material and you should be good :)

Post your study schedule please!!! :)

I am a UCSD undergrad alum and have friends who go to UCSD Pharm. PCAT has no bearing on your chances what so ever. Otherwise, good score, mate!
I hope they'll at least see it as an added plus! I know none of the Cali schools require the PCAT, and that's where I want to go. Need to get away from NYC!!!

Congrats! I have taken pcat 3 times using kaplan and obviously did terrible. I finally ordered dr.collins about a month ago so I'm relying on that,princeton review and I plan on ordering the ppt soon. Hopefully I have a great increase in my november scores too!

WOW..you did great!!! Can you post your previous breakdown from July? Seriously, super inspirational...I hoped for the same for myself, unfortunately did not come out as victorious (as clearly stated in a few of my earlier posts). Congratulations!!! Seriously amazing!!!

Just give PCAT a call, and discuss with them your situation. Due to your 50+ increase on the exam (AWESOME, BTW) they will automatically cancel your scores once the official scores come out. Just tell them you bought new study material and you should be good :)

Post your study schedule please!!! :)

My July Score Report:
Bio:19
RC:25
QA:61
Chem:41
Composite:39

Study schedule: Review a few pages out of a Dr. Collin's guide, reinforce that by reviewing the corresponding section in Princeton guide, and sometimes look it up on Google. Next, do a Collins practice exam and understand each question thoroughly (why the correct answer is right and why the other answers aren't). I did this for 2-3 subjects (disregarding verbal and RC) a day for 2 weeks straight. When going through the guides (Collins and Princeton), I had a word document open and saved any information that was difficult for me to understand or memorize. Essentially, I made a cheat sheet with key info for math, bio, and chem and looked at all 3 everyday. About a week before the actual exam, I took a Pearson practice exam every 2 days under actual testing conditions and tried to understand each question fully whether or not I got it wrong. Don't worry about verbal and reading too much, they are not something you can learn and understand in a short amount of time (either you know it or you don't).

Props to you Bear RX, we need more people like you who encourage others who are discouraged. Congrats on your new score, great improvement, gives hope to everyone I'm sure!

My July Score Report:
Bio:19
RC:25
QA:61
Chem:41
Composite:39

Study schedule: Review a few pages out of a Dr. Collin's guide, reinforce that by reviewing the corresponding section in Princeton guide, and sometimes look it up on Google. Next, do a Collins practice exam and understand each question thoroughly (why the correct answer is right and why the other answers aren't). I did this for 2-3 subjects (disregarding verbal and RC) a day for 2 weeks straight. When going through the guides (Collins and Princeton), I had a word document open and saved any information that was difficult for me to understand or memorize. Essentially, I made a cheat sheet with key info for math, bio, and chem and looked at all 3 everyday. About a week before the actual exam, I took a Pearson practice exam every 2 days under actual testing conditions and tried to understand each question fully whether or not I got it wrong. Don't worry about verbal and reading too much, they are not something you can learn and understand in a short amount of time (either you know it or you don't).

Seriouslyyyyyyyyyyyy SUPER INSPIRATIONAL!!!! :) :) :) :) :):thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: