PCAT Quantitative Reasoning Section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacy181818

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

For those of you who have took the PCAT, or are taking it now do you think studying Dr. Collins for the quantitative portion is enough? Kaplan goes into much more depth so I was wondering if it is necessary to use Kaplan also. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have time, why not? If not, hopefully the Dr. Collin's review is enough. At least do the practice problems in Kaplan.

I got 94th percentile just using Kaplan. Kaplan is really good with standardized testing strategy, i.e. eliminating incorrect answers, pacing, etc. This is really helpful on quant. reasoning, because oftentimes you can get the right answer without doing any math and that comes from the depth that Kaplan can give.

I’d also advise doing some pharm tech exam math questions. Unit conversion and dose delivery questions are not mentioned in any prep material I saw and it was on the exam. If you haven’t taken the PTCE find a sample PTCE exam online and just do some math questions. They’re really easy points to get.

I got 94th percentile just using Kaplan. Kaplan is really good with standardized testing strategy, i.e. eliminating incorrect answers, pacing, etc. This is really helpful on quant. reasoning, because oftentimes you can get the right answer without doing any math and that comes from the depth that Kaplan can give.

I’d also advise doing some pharm tech exam math questions. Unit conversion and dose delivery questions are not mentioned in any prep material I saw and it was on the exam. If you haven’t taken the PTCE find a sample PTCE exam online and just do some math questions. They’re really easy points to get.

Can you list/explain those standardized testing strategies that you used for the PCAT? I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I bought the Kaplan book off of Amazon and I've been going through it. It is incredibly well thought out and broken into sections, and it comes with free access to online information as well.. You should consider picking it up as it covers so much more than the strategies for the quantitative section.

Can you list/explain those standardized testing strategies that you used for the PCAT? I really appreciate it!

Get their prep book, it explains it better than I can and gives sample problems to demonstrate methods

• Backsolving (i.e. starting with an answer choice and working backwards to see if it’s the correct one),
  • Triaging questions (i.e. go for single questions you know first, then doing passages, then single questions that would take too long to solve the first time). There’s more to it than that but that’s the jist of it.
  • Time management and their stop/predict pick answer method which kinda goes hand in hand with triaging
  • Eliminating obviously wrong choices kinda goes with triage/time management but basically it’s stuff like eliminating answers that are out of scope (which sometimes is obvious but stop/predict helps you practice this).
The test is full of questions with answers you can eliminate really easily without working to find the right one. It’s a lot of using logic/common sense. They just formalize how you do that and it’s applicable to all 4 non-essay sections.

I took stats and calc two years ago. Is there any book you guys recommend for that? I am not too good at this part