PCAT Quantitative Ability

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmdextradionaire

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm taking the PCAT on Friday. :eek: and was wondering if anyone had tips on how to study/practice for the quant section. I consistently score lower on the calculus portions than anything else. Math isn't my strong point, so I can typically do most of the problems it just takes me awhile to set things up and then I run out of time.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm taking the PCAT on Friday. :eek: and was wondering if anyone had tips on how to study/practice for the quant section. I consistently score lower on the calculus portions than anything else. Math isn't my strong point, so I can typically do most of the problems it just takes me awhile to set things up and then I run out of time.
The new pcat will contain less precalculus and calculus and more algebra, basic math and probability. So I think that you don't have to worry that much, I've been practicing with Khan academy, it's a great source! They have videos classified by subtopics and you can even do some quizzes.

I'm going to try khan academy tomorrow, I forgot some things on trig and the math problems are a lot of word problems
Word problems? Are you talking about probability problems? because I've taken Kaplan's practice tests and those were the only word problems :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Word problems? Are you talking about probability problems? because I've taken Kaplan's practice tests and those were the only word problems :/

Probability to but mostly for me the algebraic world problems take me a while because I haven't touched math in 2 years and I take a long time to finish the problems in 45 minutes. I find myself finishing 1/2 of the 48 in 45 min which isn't helping my score :/

Khan academy is great but the only problem with their calculus sections is that they are pretty in depth. The PCAT mostly focuses on questions you can answer without using a lot of calculator work so it's hard to practice through them. For algebra and basic math it's pretty useful but not once you start getting into prob/stats and calculus

Reactions: 1 user
i'm testing on friday too! I've improved a lot in my practice scores in quant.. I took the two kaplan practice tests and just went over what I got wrong and tried again. it was mostly calc as well, but these practice tests are from last year so not extremely telling of the amount that will be on our pcat. good luck! :)

i'm testing on friday too! I've improved a lot in my practice scores in quant.. I took the two kaplan practice tests and just went over what I got wrong and tried again. it was mostly calc as well, but these practice tests are from last year so not extremely telling of the amount that will be on our pcat. good luck! :)
I feel like I'm stuck in a rut! I've been doing the same thing with taking practice tests and just going over them at this point. I'm just afraid it'll be way harder than what I'm expecting. Good luck to you too!!

Reactions: 1 users