PCAT preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sinderella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am working on my BS in Psychology and just recently decided I would like to go to Pharmacy school. What is the best advice you can give me about studying for the PCAT? Any books that are helpful? strategies? etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a practice book and do the problems. Look up all the topics covered in the problems, taking note on HOW they are written. Study the topics (I was flipping through my old orgo, bio, and gen chem textbooks) but study them in the way that the questions are asked. I did pretty well on it. My experience was that the questions were just like the practices. I had used Petersons PCAT Success, which was an ok book. Anyway just think SATs and SATII's.

Bring snacks to the test. (Chocolate covered cashews if you want to copy me! :) Also get horrible sleep in a cheap motel the night before and eat a Krispy Kreme in the morning)

Oh by the way.... the math section is FAST! you better be able to crank out calculations quick (I didn't realize this and ran out of time). Time youreslf with practice probs so you won't be caught by surprise!

Where about in Florida are you from? I can direct you to an excellent class that I took in Florida. ( I scored a 99 on the PCAT, but hard work needs to be factored into that score as well)

I am in Gainesville, FL. What part of FL did you take the class at? I am really nervous about taking the PCAT because I barely have time to study for it since I am still working on my BS in Psychology. I guess I need better time management skills.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Sinderella,

I'm attending UF and I don't know anyone who took the prep course. I scored 98, just by going through the review books. I was getting my BS in Biology at the same time. The test is easy, don't sweat it. UF grads have a good chance of getting into the pharmD program, too. I don't think that they place a lot of emphasis on PCAT scores. One of my classmates was only in the 60's. They tend to look more at your math/science GPA and your essays.

Dana,
Is UF Pharmacy school very hard? What prep books did you use to study. I have been comtemplating whether to go ahead and finish my BS in Psych or to go straight to pharm school(after my pre reqs are done).

Originally posted by Sinderella
Dana,
Is UF Pharmacy school very hard? What prep books did you use to study. I have been comtemplating whether to go ahead and finish my BS in Psych or to go straight to pharm school(after my pre reqs are done).

UF is extremely difficult, although I have nothing else to compare it to. Most professors design tests to trick you, rather than test your knowledge. They must be proud of their attrition rate.

I know several people who are struggling to make it. One woman I know is repeating the 1st year, but it doesn't look like she is not going to make it this time, either. The research and presentations never stop. Those aren't hard, but when you need time to study for 2 upcoming tests in one week, they throw a presentation project at you. These have to be completed in teams and we have less than one week to meet, dole out the research areas, design power points, rehearse and present.

What was great about the 2 days off for Thanksgiving was that there was 2 days of no lectures. Instead, I have a take home exam that I have been working on for 8 hours. Our ethics debates start on Tuesday. There is a quiz on Tuesday and an exam on Wednesday. I haven't had time to start studying for those. As soon as next week is over, we are done except for final exams. Those are done on the 17th, then we start again on the 5th. The 2nd year students told me that year one was a piece of cake compared to year 2. Several students that were good enough to make it to the 2nd year are struggling to make it to the 3rd year.

As for the PCAT, I used the Barron's book and also the audio learn tapes for biology. It had been awhile since I had biology and I hadn't taken any human anatomy when I took the PCAT. The tapes were great for that.

UF's entering class is about 50% with at least a bachelor's degree and 50% with an AA. I chose to get my degree, just in case I flunk out of pharm school.