PCAT - Good or Bad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacology

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get a general opinion on how people felt about being required to take the PCAT in order to get into a pharmacy school. (Yes I know some don't require it...but most do).

Do you think the PCAT shows your capabilities or intellect?

Do you think the PCAT is a good or bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

As a statistics major with a biostatistics concentration (Masters degree), I have the following opinions:

The quantitative section should be primarily calculus and basic differential equations (elementary techniques such as separation of variables) along with trigonometry. The calculus should test your integration and differentiation skills. These are the skills needed in some of the pharmacokinetics classes. (Maybe I am thinking PhD class in pharmaceutics, not PharmD class), but there is no reason why a pharm student should not learn this and take pharmacokinetics classes at the same difficulty level as a PhD student.

The chemistry section should emphasize organic chemistry and biochemistry. These are the skills needed to succeed in pharm school. Hence general chemistry should not really be that much of a player on the exam.

The biology section should stress Anatomy and Physiology and genetics. Pharmacogenomics is an important point of pharmacy since this is the way many of the generic drugs are manufactured. As brand name prices go way up, many customers look toward these generic drugs. Again Biology II (ecology) should not be asked much (maybe 2-3 questions). The molecular side of biology is much more important than the ecological side.

The verbal sections (I only have a Barron's and Arco book from 3 years ago) should be comparable to the difficulty of the GRE. Verbal ability and reading comprehension should be moved into one section simply called "verbal" as in the GRE. When I took the GRE, I had to study a lot for the verbal and received 670/800 (94th percentile). I have a feeling that the PCAT sections are relatively easier, while the MCAT reading is relatively harder. But this is only what I heard from some other people who took the test.

The essay section should be done over the computer. I actually hate writing out essays (my handwriting is very hard to read) and what I liked about the GRE was that the writing was done by typing on a computer. I type very fast, so I could write a lot in a short period of time, something I could not do if the exam was written. I received 6.0 / 6.0 on this section (95th percentile).
So I think that people should be given the option of a computerized PCAT or a written PCAT. Unfortunately, the computerized PCAT, unlike the computerized DAT or GRE, has not been setup yet. Also the scoring should be done, like the GRE on a scale of 0-6 on half-point increments. 0-5 without these half-point increments make the exam too subjective. Also, content should play more of a role in the score than minor grammar mistakes, that is, unless there are so many mistakes that it impairs the reader's understaning.

In my new format, we would have quantitative, verbal, essay, chemistry, and biology. The quantitative and verbal sections would each be worth 20% of the total score. And the chemistry and biology sections would each be worth 30% of the total score. The essay would be a separate grade.

So the prereqs added to accommodate this new format would be:
Biochemistry (1 semester), genetics (1 semester)

Yes I think a standardized test is a good measuring bar and should be used. However, the PCAT is not there yet. There's far too much single source questions, questions that only draw on specific points of knowledge. There needs to be more questions that present a situation and ask you to deduce like outcomes/causes or responses in the biology and chemistry section. A prime example are some of the American Chemical Society (ACS) questions in their Organic Chemistry test or some of the new IT certification tests that are scenerio based. That is a more true measure of reasoning ability.

I think the PCAT is a very good test of our overall abilities. It actually made me rethink my strong and weak points as a student and start taking a different approach to school all together. I took the test after getting an A+ in Bio 1 and an A in Bio 2, and having next to no chemistry, yet somehow I bombed the bio section (my worst section by far!!) and doing pretty good on my chem section. That's when I realized that all I had done in bio is memorize and I couldn't remember chit!! So now I am taking a whole different approach to bio and actually learning the material!

I thought the PCAT was a great test...although I think they could make it a bit tougher....my kaplan practice questions were much more difficult! I was surprised!!

Members don't see this ad :)
laura, did you apply to any canadian pharmacies

i'm applying to u of t this year