pcat essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UH Pharm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I know we are not allowed to talk about the essay prompt on the pcat, but is there anything that you guys did to prepare for it?

Like watching the news, reading scientific articles, do you guys have any tips to do well on the essay portion?

I 'm just worried about getting a prompt that I don't know or have any clue about, I just hope I don't end up looking like that and not knowing what to write about --> :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

All of the essays are basically the same. Give solutions to problem x.
I would just be familiar with major problems in the world and possible ways to fix them.

All of the essays are basically the same. Give solutions to problem x.
I would just be familiar with major problems in the world and possible ways to fix them.
What type of world problems, medically related world problems or just issues in general?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a question. I'm using Kaplan to study and it says to state a solution and then a counter response that gives your solution some problems. Then you are supposed to use your solution to reconcile with this problem.

Is that what the PCAT wants? Since taking the SAT and studying for the GRE, it seems kind of weird to make it that format. I thought it was just to give solutions to the problems.

Just a question. I'm using Kaplan to study and it says to state a solution and then a counter response that gives your solution some problems. Then you are supposed to use your solution to reconcile with this problem.

Is that what the PCAT wants? Since taking the SAT and studying for the GRE, it seems kind of weird to make it that format. I thought it was just to give solutions to the problems.

I do not believe a counterpoint is crucial in this type of essay. Some essays require it. For example. DBQ essays from AP US History want you to put in a small "but..." at the end of your thesis. I was going to include this on my essay, but I found I didn't have the time and would rather spell check instead. I got a 3.

My advice is go in with a formula for your essay already. And just fill in the blanks with what ever your subject is.

I agree with coming up with a formula. For example, no matter which practice essay I wrote, my essay's solutions defaulted to 1) education and 2) intervention.

As in ... a major world problem is that squirrels dig up rutabaga from my garden. Ohhhhh the humanity!!! Therefore, solution #1 is to educate the world population about the diet of squirrels and how they like to eat my rutabaga. Solution #2 is to have the government fund proactive intervention programs for squirrels to encourage them to eat something other than rutabaga. Then we will all be happy, hold hands, sing songs, look at rainbows & unicorns etc etc etc ....

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with coming up with a formula. For example, no matter which practice essay I wrote, my essay's solutions defaulted to 1) education and 2) intervention.

As in ... a major world problem is that squirrels dig up rutabaga from my garden. Ohhhhh the humanity!!! Therefore, solution #1 is to educate the world population about the diet of squirrels and how they like to eat my rutabaga. Solution #2 is to have the government fund proactive intervention programs for squirrels to encourage them to eat something other than rutabaga. Then we will all be happy, hold hands, sing songs, look at rainbows & unicorns etc etc etc ....

Lol! I meant simply a formula, like a sort of scaffolding around which to form your essay, like a physical setup of what goes where.
But that's a great idea.

I lol'ed because the education intervention is the same thing I always default to. I bet a lot of people do the same thing!

You pretty much restate the problem in your intro, say why XYZ is such a problem, and list out solutions. Emphasize your solutions in the subsequent paragraphs (you should try for at least 3), conclusion to wrap up your points. Fin.

I think there are basically only 3 major issues that the PCAT/ALL TESTS covers regularly. So I would read the Wiki page for at least these three things.

1. American Education and problems.
2. American Government and problems.
3. American Health care and problems.

These are what I basically came up with for each area (ps. I got a 3.5/5 on the PCAT....so I don't know if you guys actually want to follow my advice)

1. 1~ No standard for what is being taught.
2~ Not enough supplies and funding to have good science and math classes.
3~ Different levels of teachers.
Solutions:
1~ True to have the better school provide a outline for how and why their curriculum worked.
2~ Increase taxes (this will not be popular)
3~ Have teachers go to workshops to improve their teaching, or replace seriously bad teachers.
Problems with Solutions:
1~ It is impossible to perfectly reproduce the same curriculum in other schools, because the environment is not the same.
2~ People will not be happy with the increase in taxes
3~ There financial problems with setting up the workshops, and unions will get mad if you fire their members.
Solutions for Problems of Solutions:
1~ It does not have to be a perfect re-creation, but it will help set a goal for those schools struggling to find a better way to teach their students.
2~ ....you have to come up with your own...solutions with money is never 100%, I wrote that not huge increase, just 20$ per family, assuming that your school has 1000 kids (which is pretty normal for a high school) that would still raise 20,000$ for the school to use.
3~ ...again...hard to have perfect solution to this problem. part one: sometimes the school district has to sacrifice monetary gains for the welfare of students. and unions should also think of the impact that their members have on students. blah blah blah...

so yeah....that's sort of my solutions....for the first one....I don't know if that was helpful or just really really annoying for people to read....if you guys want I could post what I thought for the other two...if not...just tell me that too....LOL...sorry for wasting space....:rolleyes:

Siltears, thanks for your suggests. It is definitely helpful to think of problems and solutions to possible essay prompts beforehand.

I was wondering how many paragraphs would be acceptable on the PCAT? I've tried doing some essays and I find writing 5 paras is too much in 30 min but I feel 3 paras is rather short.

Also, would you say that the essay should be in the format of:

I. Intro
II. Discuss 1 problem
III. Discuss 1 solution
IV. Conclusion

Usually 4 paragraphs will be the maximum that you will be able to write in 30 minutes.

For the introduction, I wouldn't recommend actually having a huge one like they teach you in high school, which sounds vague but fancy. Go ahead and start discussion the problems that would occur in regards to the problem that you are suppose to be providing a solution to...
For the first body paragraph, start introducing ways of solving your problem.
For the second body paragraph, state some of the problems for which would be possible for your solutions.
For the third body paragraph/conclusion paragraph. Find a way to resolve these conflicts. And as a way of ending your paper, if pressed for time or idea, acknowledge that there is no perfect solution and that there is only a best solution to this problem. This way the people doing the PCAT will think that you are mature and will to see more than just your side of things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I think of more than one solution? I feel that just stating the solution and not expanding on it is kind of weird. However, I don't think that 30 minutes is enough to expand on multiple solutions.

If I was to expand on a solution, how much do I have to expand? Maybe I'm thinking too much into this essay, like treating it as a REAL essay. I haven't been to any PCAT courses which could tell me how my essay should be like so I honestly have no idea.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

It is definately recommended that you have at least 2 solutions, though 3 would be better, but do not attempt if you do not have the time. So basically, you should roughly have the following structure:
Intro: acknowledge problem, and introduce problem.
P1: introduce solution A, and solutions B...etc. (Explain in 2-5 sentencese how each one would help)
~If you are talking about the education prompt: "In order to help even the level of curriculum offered at each school, it could be suggested that schools which less success in educating students follow a course outline/course plan that has been more successful in aiding students in another school. In order to accomplish this, the best 10-15 schools in the state would be asked to send teachers from their schools to computate a detailed course plan for each subject area that has been well received by their students. These lesson plans would than be offered to schools with less sucess, so they would be able to follow these guidelines as to what and how to teach their students......followed by second solution....etc."
P2: Problems with solution A, solution B.
P3/Conclusion: How to fix problems with solution A, solution B. Acknowledge that there is no perfect solution, and why.
For instance: "However, there is no perfect solution as to how to make sure that all schools provide an even number of education for students, because the students within each school are different, and their ability and desire to learn are not the same."

Or something to that effect.

***Please note that the above is merely my own opinion and is not guarenteed to get you a great mark on the essay....

I do want to ask though....which schools actually really care about the essay portion? Cause I know that mine didn't...(UBC)

Cool. Thanks for the outline.

In regards to if schools care about it, I'm not really sure. But doesn't the essay score have an affect on the composite score?

Now, I was wondering what is the general outline to agree or disagree prompts?

Intro- state both sides and pick one
Body- write 3(?) paragraphs to back up my position
Conclusion- kind of like a restatement of intro

I'm once again worried that 3 paras would be too much and 2 would be too little :p

Really?!?!?! I'm studying from the Collin's review packet and he has agree or disagree essay prompts. However, I bought the Pearson's practice exams and thest type of essays aren't provided. So I'm wondering if they took the agree/disagree off the PCAT and I'm just sweating for no reason :p

You are sweating for no reason dude. LOL. Go check out Kaplan, I can't recommend that book enough...it's totally worth every penny. If you don't want to spend 60? dollars buying it, go read the section on writing essay, its like...10? pages, but it helps SOOO much...seriously...go read it. Very close to what is expected on the PCAT.

K i'm just sort of confused are the essay questions ALWAYS Problem-Solution types because in the Cliff's PCAT Practice Test book the essay prompt asks you to express an opinion. Thanks

Um...I haven't looked that the Cliff essay prompts. But I think its mostly solving problems...I got one questions about how to raise education levels in math and science courses, and one about how to raise voter turn out. So based on what I got, I would say yes? But do keep in mind I only took the PCAT once...so it might have been different on other tests.

oh kk thanks and i heard we only have 4 pages to write each essay which i think is plenty enough is that rite? i was practicing and managed to write 2 pages..do you think thats enough?

I'm not sure how big your writing is, so I can't tell you either way. Um...as long as you feel like you have expressed yourself well enough, it should be fine. If you really want a guideline, go for around 400-600 words, for a min req.

oh kk thanks and i heard we only have 4 pages to write each essay which i think is plenty enough is that rite? i was practicing and managed to write 2 pages..do you think thats enough?

this reminds me of my English prof's response to how long an essay should be... "just like a girl's skirt, long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting..."