pcat dates??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mspaic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, i just want to make sure of this, to apply for fall of 2006 admition, you CAN take the pcat in JAN (like it's not too late), right???

Members don't see this ad.

mspaic said:
ok, i just want to make sure of this, to apply for fall of 2006 admition, you CAN take the pcat in JAN (like it's not too late), right???

depends on what schools you want to apply too, you have to look them up individually to see who will apcept Jan PCAT for Fall 2006.

You should take it in October just to be safe. The October test date marks the beginning of the PCAT season. You could always take it again in January but you'd have covered yourself from schools that do not accept the January test date.

ok i looked at the pharmcas website and looked under the heading:

PharmCAS Individual School Deadline Dates for the
2006 Entering Class

and i found my school's (buffalo's) deadline for application is march 1, 2006

what does this mean really? can someone help me out on what the date means?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that it would mean you would have to have ALL of your information submitted to PharmCAS by that date. I looked at SUNY Buffalo's website (i am assuming that is where you mean) and they are not specific about what PCAT you can or can't take before the deadline. I think you should take ButlerPharmD's advice and take it in Oct if you can, that way you have Jan as a backup. But in summary, the best thing for you to do would be to call the school and hear it from their mouth weather they will or will not apcept jan's PCAT for the Fall 2006.

~M

ok guys thanks for the advice

i know that maybe i SHOULD take it in October but there is no way i'm going to.

i want to study even more and give it my best shot in Jan. Pcat is not like a lottery, where you'll prob get a better shot with more tries. I'd rather spend the extra $70 or so that i would have to pay to take an aditional pcat and invest it in buying additonal studying resources!

mspaic said: "I'd rather spend the extra $70 or so that i would have to pay to take an aditional pcat and invest it in buying additonal studying resources!"

This might just be me, so please bear with me.

The PCAT is, in my opinion, not a test you can study for. I reviewed material for a couple of months beforehand. I used the Kaplan (found it intimidating). In the end, I either knew the answer or I didn't. If I didn't, I tried to reason the answer. There were many unanticipated questions (some of which I actually knew the answer to). :)

Standardized tests are not meant to be aced. They are meant to measure possible performance. I don't agree with this method of assessment, but it's what many schools use.

Cramming is never the answer. Education is about learning.

I'll dive off my soapbox now...

Troy

I'll agree with twester. You have almost three months left to study for the October PCAT, assuming you passed your general science/math classes there is no way you would need more time then that. This test is not the MCAT, you dont need to study every formula you ever learned for a year, its all mostly basic knowledge things, not anything trying to trick you.