PCAT CHemistry! UH OH!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! on the PCAT Exam on the Chemistry SECTION, do they provide the formulas and a periodic table? Thanks guys! =) good luck with PCAt studying

Members don't see this ad.

PharmDster said:
Hey! on the PCAT Exam on the Chemistry SECTION, do they provide the formulas and a periodic table? Thanks guys! =) good luck with PCAt studying

No, we didn't get a periodic table. That section is so easy though, you don't really need anything. I was scared about it and worried about the formulas and stuff, but there's nothing complex on that section!

what do u mean? can u give an example on the PCAT for CHemistry?

Functional Groups
Nomenclature
Properties of the periodic table (ionization energy, radius etc)
Rate Laws
Gas Properties
Thermodynamics
Quick and dirty balancing
Mixture solubilities
Minimal RedOx

Am I missing something?

Members don't see this ad :)
can you be specific about the questions? =\...it is like a word questions? no calculation is needed?

Well there's some that are like, stoichiometry with really easy numbers, like 10's and 100's and stuff.

You might also want to review how to do some simple log problems, as there are probably going to be some pH determination questions.

For calculations, I remember seeing some PV=nrt/Charle's law/Boyle's Law/ Avogadro's type problems; that's about as far as calculations went for me..a lot of naming functional groups, naming molecules, and a lot of alcohol --> aldehyde --> carboxylic acid reduction/oxidation questions. (Example: If an aldehyde is reduced/oxidized, what do you get? A: Carboxylic acid/alcohol, respectively). A couple SN1/SN2 reactions, but you really just need to know the basics.

There were more organic chem than gen chem questions. And NO you don't need to memorize the periodic table/atomic masses, etc. (But I would just know the atomic masses of the commonly used elements: C, N, O, just in case, but I doubt you'll need them). Just know the general trends of the periodic table (i.e. atomic mass, radius, electronegativity: does it increase or decrease as you move across/down the table?).