PCAT-Calculus Supplement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CuRy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The study guides haven’t been updated to the recent changes on the PCAT test (since October 2004). The publishers don’t even provide us a supplement! I have been a chemical engineer for five years and now applying for pharmacy schools. Because I took both Oct. and Nov. PCAT tests recently, a friend of mine asked me to advise her on Calculus. I made an outline for her and some of you might be interested it. There are about 10/58 questions related to Calculus. You could use any Calculus textbook to review the items below.

I/ Vectors:
1) Vector a = (a1, a2) is a two-dimensional vector with real numbers a1 and a2.
Features: As a vector is moved parallel to its original one, its coordinates a1 and a2 are unchanged.
2) Given the points A(x1, y1) and B(x2, y2), the vector a representing vector AB is
vector a = (x2-x1, y2-y1)
3) The length of the vector a(a1, a2) is
a = sqrt (sq a1 + sq a2)
The length of vector AB from A(x1, y1) to B(x2, y2) is
AB = sqrt (sq(x2-x1) + sq(y2-y1))
4) Vector addition: vector a = (a1,a2) and vector b = (b1,b2)
vector a + (or -) vector b = (a1 +(-) b1, a2 +(-) b2)
You should know its geometrical representations (Triangle Law and Parallelogram Law)
5) Multiplication of a vector by a scalar (real number)
vector a = (a1, a2) and c is a scalar then c*(vector a) = (c*a1, c*a2)
6) The dot product of vector a = (a1, a2) and vector b = (b1, b2) is a real number
(vector a)*(vector b) = a1*b1 + a2*b2

The product of three vectors is a vector (because the product of first two vectors is a real number or scalar!).

II/Composite function f[g(x)]
ex: Given f(x) = sq(x+4) + 2x + 3 and g(x) = x+1, find f[g(x)]
f[g(x)] = sq[(x+1)+4] + 2(x+1) + 3 {treat g(x) as old x}
= sq(x+5) + 2(x+1) + 3 = (sq x +10*x + 25) + (2x + 2) + 3
= sq x + 12x + 30

III/ Limits:
lim (x to a) of f(x)/g(x)
If both f(a) and g(a) equal zero, then we eliminate the factors (x-a) at both numerator and denominator or use L’Hospital rule (derivative)

IV/ Derivatives: The first derivative df(x)/dx is
1) The slope of a tangent
2) A rate of change (velocity)

Formulas need to be memorized are:
d(x^n)/dx = n*x^(n-1)
d(u+(or-)v)/dx = du/dx +(-) dv/dx
d(u/v)/dx = (vdu/dx - udv/dx)/v^2
with u = u(x) and v = v(x)

V/ Integral:
S f(x)dx (from a to b) = the area under the graph f(x) from a to b.

Formulas need to be memorized are:
S f(x)dx (from a to b) = F(b) – F(a) with F’(x) = f(x)
S f(x)dx (from a to b) = - S f(x)dx (from b to a)
S dx = x + c
S x^n dx = (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + c with n # -1
S (1/x)dx = ln(x) + c
S [f(x) + g(x)]dx = S f(x)dx + S g(x)dx

Note: u(x), v(x), f(x), and g(x) are simple functions such as a*x^2 + b*x + c. Don’t study trigonometric and root power functions. They are very complicated with derivatives and integrals.

Comments: Why is Calculus needed for studying the pharmacy? You could derive the rate of chemical reactions, find the half life of a molecule, and read the science publications.

If you know the fundamental Calculus above, then you are well prepared for the PCAT test. You would never have enough time to finish the whole quantitative section, so don’t freak out this Calculus. Merry Christmas!

Members don't see this ad.

Avicenna04 said:
Righton, great info.
So no antiderivatives then?
Actually, antiderivative is integral!
In the exam, f'(x) and f(x0) are given, then find f(x).
ex: f'(x) = 2x + 5 and f(1) = 9, find f(x).

f(x) = S (2x + 5)dx = x^2 + 5x + c
f(1) = 1 + 5 + c = 9 --> c = 3
Therefore, f(x) = x^2 + 5x + 3

Hi All,
I posted this review on Christmas! Now, Kaplan offers online the update of the recent changes in the PCAT test (thanks to Freshbeatschris for the information!). They still print out the old edition 2004-2005 with remarks on the recent changes and refer back to the online (I saw the “new” edition at Border’s bookstore, but I am still not able to locate the online update!). Just reminder- the recent changes on the PCAT test are: replacing Antonym in Verbal subtest by Complete the Sentences, adding Calculus (~ 10 questions of fundamental) to Quantitative Analysis subtest, and adding a new subtest- Essay (still in experience for January PCAT test!) If you have an old edition of review book and you are good on Calculus in the past, then my review is good to go. Otherwise, you should buy a new Kaplan’s review book ($45). There are quizzes after each review, but they just test your knowledge so you just learn the materials and do the practice test (one in the back). If you want to do more practice tests, you could work online at pcatprofessor.com ($59 for 90 days of access). We still have 10 days left to the January PCAT test. My school won’t start until January 18! Well, we still could skip a first few days at school to study for PCAT test. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow thanks man for all that information. I was actually really wondering what was gonna be on the test for calculus. I actually did really well in calc but its been a while and now i know what to study for.
Will relative mins and maxs be on the pcats?
thanks
As for the essay portion of the pcats? whats that about? How long will the essay be and will it be some pharmacy related question? Like a question you would only be able to answer from working in a pharmacy??
thanks

Also will we need to know like all that trig stuff with sin and cosine and cotangents and all those formulas related to that? like sum and difference formualas? Double angles? all that good stuff?

Superflyjsc said:
Wow thanks man for all that information. I was actually really wondering what was gonna be on the test for calculus. I actually did really well in calc but its been a while and now i know what to study for.
Will relative mins and maxs be on the pcats?
thanks
The ten Calculus questions cover all the topics that I outline. Remember- they are fundamental and simple so you could do in 45 second.
The relative Max and Min are identified through its second order derivative. This advanced question won't be asked.

* Trigometric functions:
- know the graph of Sin(x) and Cos (x). They won't ask the graph of Sin(x+45).
- know the definition of Sine, Cosine, Tange, and Cotange in a right triangle.
- know Sine and Cosine of special angle (from 0 to 180), i.e., 0, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 150, and 180. You would memorize them easily if you could use its graph.

* Logarithms:
~ log(a.b) = log(a) + log(b)
~ log(a/b) = log(a) - log(b)
~ log (a^m) = m*log(a)
~ log base a of (a) = 1

Note: If you have the old edition of Kaplan review book, then my review on Calculus is enough. If you don't feel confident on it, then you should buy a new edition with free access the online update ($45). I originally made this review in detail as the supplement hadn't been available yet.

CuRy said:
* Trigometric functions:
- know the graph of Sin(x) and Cos (x). They won't ask the graph of Sin(x+45).
- know the definition of Sine, Cosine, Tange, and Cotange in a right triangle.
- know Sine and Cosine of special angle (from 0 to 180), i.e., 0, 30, 45, 60, 90, 120, 150, and 180. You would memorize them easily if you could use its graph.
I give those answers here: sin(0)=sin(180)=0; sin(30)=sin(150)=1/2; sin(45)=[sqr(2)]/2; sin(60)=sin(120)=[sqr(3)]/2; cos(0)=1; cos(30)=[sqr(3)]/2; cos(45)=[sqr(2)]/2; cos(60)=1/2; cos(90)=0; cos(120)= -1/2; cos(150)= -[sqr(3)]/2; cos(180)= -1;
You would memorize them easily if you could use its graph (x axis is Cosine, y axis is Sine).

CuRy said:
I give those answers here: sin(0)=sin(180)=0; sin(30)=sin(150)=1/2; sin(45)=[sqr(2)]/2; sin(60)=sin(120)=[sqr(3)]/2; cos(0)=1; cos(30)=[sqr(3)]/2; cos(45)=[sqr(2)]/2; cos(60)=1/2; cos(90)=0; cos(120)= -1/2; cos(150)= -[sqr(3)]/2; cos(180)= -1;
You would memorize them easily if you could use its graph (x axis is Cosine, y axis is Sine).

Thanks for the information. Guess what. Im taking my test at the NYU campus in NYC for the january pcats and i accidentally thought the test day was this past saturday! So i went all the way to nyc this past weekend for nothing!!! I totally didnt remember that the exam date was the 22nd. UGH shows how nervous i am for this. Luckily i was in town visiting friends anyways so i guess ill have to make the trip back to nyc for the 22 next weekend now.