PCAT breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DagS132

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just posting this to discuss the study materials I used to get my score so that others can hopefully benefit off this info.

My scores:
Biology: 95
Chemistry: 99
CR: 67
QR: 77
Composite: 94

Cliffsnotes AP Biology 3rd edition: This book is excellent for the bio section. It has everything you need to do well. It contains most of the things thats listed in the Dr. Collins bio review but more in depth. Its missing out on microbiology. The only parts I didn't go over was biological diversity, plants, animal form and function,animal behavior, and ecology.

Chads Videos: These are free youtube videos offered on his website. Just google chads videos. I used these videos to study gen chem, biochem, and orgo. If you go through all of these videos, you will do well on the chemistry portion no matter what.

DAT Kaplan: I used this for math and although it had good info, it just wasn't enough. I was planning on taking the DAT so thats why I have this. Instead I used youtube videos to study math, especially for limits. There is actually a PCAT review playlist someone made on youtube which is what i used.

PCATexam website: Seems like an outdated website, not sure. I used this to study microbiology.

Dr. Collins self study: I didn't really use this to study, i just used it for practice. The reading comprehension practice was great though. A lot of people say the PCAT is harder than the practice tests but I thought it was the same level of difficulty. Actually, I thought the level of difficulty on all practice exams were about the same as the actual PCAT tests.

And last I used notes from school for physiology (although the cliffsnotes bio book has this info as well).

Studied 10 hours a day for 2 months using the study schedule listed in the DAT discussion forums.
Hope this puts some minds at ease if you are unsure about effectiveness of Dr. Collin's study guide, I guess it worked out well since this is what I used for practice.

Oh I would also like to mention some strategies I think will help. For math, if you have to think about how to solve the problem, just flag it and come back to it later. In the end after I got through all the questions I thought I could answer without thinking about it, I only had 5 minutes left. I had about 8 questions I couldn't actually work through so I answered all of them with the same letter choice.
For reading comprehension, one of the passages I had absolutely no time to read. I read the first 2 sentences of each paragraph and skimmed through the rest. Answered the questions for that part the best I could.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Thank you for everything!

I was wondering a couple things!
1. How was bio and chem compared to both Dr. Collins and Pearson if you did their questions?
2. What helped you the MOST for the quant? I heard that they changed it a little to be more analyzing and stuff, so I was worried.
3. Was it relatively more gen chem or organic chem based?

Thanks so much

1. Didn't use Pearson, so I don't know.
2. I am a bit unsure about this. The Dr Collin's practice exams for quant was very helpful so for sure do these. If you know how to do all the problems on the Dr Collins practice, you should be all set for the actual PCAT. If I could go back and study again, I would spend a lot more time studying pre-calc and calculus.
3. Its definitely more gen chem based. Orgo was my weakest and I think it made up about 20-30% of the test. Basically exactly how its stated on the pcat website.

Last edited:
Another thing I want to note is that 2 days before the exam, I did the free practice PCAT test on that next step pcat website. The score I got on that was basically the same exact score as I got on the PCAT. So use this website as well!

Another thing I want to note is that 2 days before the exam, I did the free practice PCAT test on that next step pcat website. The score I got on that was basically the same exact score as I got on the PCAT. So use this website as well!
Thank you for everything!