PCAT=Barron's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmEm

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the practice PCAT tests in the Barron's PCAT study guide and wanted to know how similar is it with the actualy PCAT. Hopefulyl a person who has already taken the PCAT and who used the Barron's study guide can answer this one.

Also, how can you score the practice PCATS? If the biology section has 100 questions, and you get 20 wrong, does that mean you get an 80%? Is it this simple or do they score it another way? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I studied with Barron's only (other than going back to my textbooks to review certain subjects I kept answering wrong). I thought that they had far too many questions with lengthy calculations (much more complicated and lengthy than was on the actual PCAT) in the chem and math sections. All those calculations were kind of a waste of time and made me very scared that I wouldn't finish those sections in time. Also, Barron's didn't have any ochem questions, and my PCAT had a lot of ochem questions (but easy ones from the first semester: naming, basic reactions, recognizing functional groups, etc.)

As far as grading, I don't really understand the question. You can grade it however you want. The score won't really correspond to what you'd get on the PCAT though, because the PCAT isn't graded by the % you answer correctly. Just for a reference, though, I started out scoring about 75/100 on the Barrons PCAT practice tests, and eventually got up to the mid 80's. On the actual PCAT I scored 99% composite. But my goal was to be prepared to answer correctly any question that might be on the PCAT, so I did a lot of studying from the textbooks and the questions I answered wrong with that goal in mind.

Use more than one practice book. Each have their own strengths and weaknesses.

Baron's, for example, has a good vocab section, but the biology is much too easy and does not cover enough topics. When I took the PCAT, the biology section had much more non-human anatomy and physiology questions. For instance, there were many evolution questions.

Kaplan is a better book overall. It's harder than the PCAT itself, which makes you more confident when you take the test. It definately has the best biology and chemistry study material and practice tests.

Peterson's was good for the math section when I took it. The questions and answers were set up similarly. I did not have calculus on my pcat, though, so I can not comment on that. I had many questions using logs.

gablet said:

Baron's, for example, has a good vocab section, but the biology is much too easy and does not cover enough topics. When I took the PCAT, the biology section had much more non-human anatomy and physiology questions. For instance, there were many evolution questions.

Kaplan is a better book overall. It's harder than the PCAT itself, which makes you more confident when you take the test. It definately has the best biology and chemistry study material and practice tests.

Peterson's was good for the math section when I took it. The questions and answers were set up similarly. I did not have calculus on my pcat, though, so I can not comment on that. I had many questions using logs.

You nailed it. I strongly recommend using all three sources. Worth the investment. Kaplan's chapter breakdown is best for learning, but the other two are excellent for PCAT test review. I found PCAT Professor helpful too.

Members don't see this ad :)
imo

petersons> barrons on all sections

although both (2005 eds) have crummy math sections when compared to actual test

id also recommend getting at least 2 review guides

kaplan + barrons = I got in so must have worked! :p

I liked both...maybe preferred kaplan a little bit more...more detail...but both were helpful.

gablet said:

thanks for the advice

I'm taking the practice PCAT tests in the Barron's PCAT study guide and wanted to know how similar is it with the actualy PCAT. Hopefulyl a person who has already taken the PCAT and who used the Barron's study guide can answer this one.

Also, how can you score the practice PCATS? If the biology section has 100 questions, and you get 20 wrong, does that mean you get an 80%? Is it this simple or do they score it another way? Thanks.

From what I've heard Barron's is the most effective, I've never actually seen a Kaplan version for the PCAT though. The test format in relation to the actual PCAT is pretty much the same, yes all of the sections are that easy....... a lot easier than the MCAT, SAT, GRE. The biology and chemistry questions were way too easy, a grade schooler can score 99 percentile.

the org chem material is pretty rudimentary, they don't ask you that many questions from what I remember, but it isn't possible for a novice to memorize them. They'll be random about it, it may be a be frustrating. You'll need to be familiar with the concepts, by familiar I mean that you don't necessairly need to be creative with them. Then again, memorizing is more tedious.

Be sure to take the quanitative section seriously, although the questions are super easy, you'll need to go super fast. I had applied to university of GA pharm school (back in the days), got the interview, it turns out that one of the person interviewing me was an author of the Barron's PCAT.