PBL Pathway @ Lecom

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smgilles

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find other PBL students either starting this August like myself or who have already matriculated. I was hoping to get an idea of the schedule (taking exams, meetings, etc.). PBL students seem few and far between.

Members don't see this ad.

my roommate, nishant gandhi, will be at lecom in pbl in august. his AIM screen name is SaxEd109.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's how it worked for us (class of 2006):
You meet once a week during anatomy, then three times a week after that. You have two exams first semester plus three competency exams, which you schedule when you are ready to take them. You do anatomy the same as LDP, which takes up all of your time for the first 12 weeks. You also have OMM on Wed mornings.
Second semester you will meet three times/week for PBL group. These sessions were held at a time everyone in the group had agreed upon. You have 4 PBL exams, plus you have OMM wed mornings, which will also have 4 exams. You also have Health Care Mgmt. and Medical ethics for a while but these are pretty low impact and we mostly didn't go to class. Friday afternoons is Clinical Exam which is laid back and low key as well. Its sort of like a lab.
Second semester seemed to be much easier, since we mostly got the hang of choosing our learning issues and studying, etc. PBL was mostly just a formality during Gross. We went to the meeting once a week then ignored it until the following week. It works out fine and life gets so much better after anatomy is over. It will make you so glad you don't have to spend the next 3 semesters in the lecture hall!
Any specific questions? I'll do my best to answer them, keeping in mind they may change some things from what we had. Don't worry too much, enjoy the next 2 months, and keep in mind that IT GETS BETTER AFTER ANATOMY!! (Did I mention that I hated anatomy?) :)

smgilles,
I have to agree with everything hermione has said here and though there are only 40 PBLers in our class I have no idea who it is.
Anyway, I echo hermiones anatomy sentiments.
There will be a meeting at the begining of the year to let all of you (PBL) know what will be expected of you and when. As for the class of 2006 hermione is right on the money. We also had part of our grade come from some abbreviated board trial runs, one of which was based on performance and one that was not.;)

For PBL guy's at LECOM

A very good friend of mine will be starting there in Aug. His name is Jas and you wont miss him. He's a tall Indian dude with attitude.

I always agree with everything hermione says. As a 2006 PBL'er, I have to second two particular items:

1. Relax and enjoy the summer... you are going to need it!

2. It gets soooooo much better after anatomy, so hang in there!

Good luck, and we'll see you in August!:clap:

rajmahal...shaking my head...tom ridge