Paying for Wedding before/during Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cottonsct

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My fiancée and I will both be matriculating into medical school in the fall (glutton for punishment, I know). We are hoping to get married this summer before medical school or after the first year.

My question is whether or not there is any way to pay for most of the wedding expenses (some of the expenses will be covered by family) wrapped in with student loans for medical school? From what I have read, the student loans are pretty limited to educational expenses, but I have also read some people who say that they do not care what the money is used for because you are paying it back eventually anyways. I wanted to see if anyone knew of any way to do this or had done this.
Most people I have talked to had parents paying for the expenses but our parents cannot cover all of them so this is not an option.

Members don't see this ad.

My fiancée and I will both be matriculating into medical school in the fall (glutton for punishment, I know). We are hoping to get married this summer before medical school or after the first year.

My question is whether or not there is any way to pay for most of the wedding expenses (some of the expenses will be covered by family) wrapped in with student loans for medical school? From what I have read, the student loans are pretty limited to educational expenses, but I have also read some people who say that they do not care what the money is used for because you are paying it back eventually anyways. I wanted to see if anyone knew of any way to do this or had done this.
Most people I have talked to had parents paying for the expenses but our parents cannot cover all of them so this is not an option.

Have a smaller wedding. :) Congrats on getting married btw.

Have a smaller wedding. :) Congrats on getting married btw.

Yea sadly that's what you have to do.

I don't think they really care how you spend your extra students loan. After all of these years I've never heard of anyone being audited.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can spend the $$ on whatever you want to, but they won't enlarge your cost of attendance (and therefore loan eligibility) to pay for a wedding. so you can spend it on that if you want, but you might be short about six months worth of rent for the year :lame:

You get x amount of loans and can spend it on anything you like. Tuition takes a big chunk out of it, as does living expenses. I think our COA is ~ 25k over tuition and that 25k can be used for anything.

You could take a private loan, but that would be pretty stupid. Just keep the wedding costs low, low, low. Try to target your wedding registry towards things that you would have been spending cost-of-living loans on anyways.

For honeymoon, maybe asks points/miles from a traveler/business person in the family as wedding gift. From when I was working, I have tons of free hotel nights and flights. Someone might be able to hook you up.

You could take a private loan, but that would be pretty stupid. Just keep the wedding costs low, low, low. Try to target your wedding registry towards things that you would have been spending cost-of-living loans on anyways.

For honeymoon, maybe asks points/miles from a traveler/business person in the family as wedding gift. From when I was working, I have tons of free hotel nights and flights. Someone might be able to hook you up.

What bank is going to loan broke medical students money to have a wedding?

I got married the summer before medical school and honestly, it was really tough financially. Both of our families couldn't afford to help so we paid for everything ourselves. We did everything as inexpensively as possible and like someone else said, we had to cut the guest list substantially. Despite this, the wedding still turned out great (feel free to pm me if you need low-budget wedding tips).

I wouldn't recommend taking out another loan or using the student loan to pay for it, if at all possible. The student loans are pretty "bare-bones" already. Are either of you working right now? If not, I would recommend that both of you work part-time jobs until school starts (or at least until the wedding).

I think that if both of you are in med school and living off loans then you cannot afford a wedding.

Just get married and have only your parents at the wedding and go to a restaurant afterwards.