Pathway of the Undecided

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChemCrazy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Brand new member here.

I am in the process of starting my Biomedical Sciences Ph.D. applications and I can't help but feel I'm giving up on becoming a doctor. Having attended a school, where if you even dabbled in science, you were surrounded by pre-med students, I naturally headed toward that track as a biochemistry major. I got a 3.52 GPA (pretty much the same for science), did much better in pre-med classes than say, physical chemistry. My health problems last year (will not name it because I'm paranoid and it's a rare horrible disease) caused me to be in no state to study for the MCAT nor apply to med school. So after I started to feel better, I broke it to my family that I was no longer suitable for the stress of becoming a doctor. Over the summer I got a new sickness which has even made me doubt that I should be committing myself to any 5+ degree. So now I am taking my gap year. It's barely started and I already feel inadequate compared to my peers. I see a lot of them gave up the pre-med path, but an advisor from my university's medical path had told me about a year ago, that given everything about myself and what I've accomplished I shouldn't have a problem getting into a few schools.

What do you guys consider giving up?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: