Pathoma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dude1344

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone use this and have any opinions? Dr. Sattar has been frequenting many schools recently and talking up his book. Does this add anything that can't be found in Goljan or FA?

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks. Yea you are right. I guess I'll hold off on Pathoma for a few months until I have access to the book.

Great! Thank you guys! I'm setting aside 4 days during the dedicated study time for path, so hopefully, I can get through both the book and the videos.

Should be doable at 1.4x or easily doable at 1.7x. At regular speed you're looking at 36 hours of video. At 1.4, I believe it drops it down to 25.7ish, and at 1.7, it's around 21 hours. If you have a pretty solid foundation to work off of, he is very easy to listen to at 1.7x, which allows you multiple passes (repetition is key for me) or time for other review sources. I'm hoping with an hour or two a day to be able to get through pathoma 2-3 times along with all the other crap I'm doing over the next 6.5 weeks.

Agreed, it kind of sounded like I was advocating piracy in my post, which I'm not. I was just trying to convey my jealousy of his students.

I could never steal from Dr. Sattar, I go to one of the other Chicago schools and he came to our class at the beginning of the year to pitch Pathoma. He told us he was going to publish through one of the bigger named companies (I think kaplan) but when he found out they were going to charge substantially more he decided to self-publish. So basically, he probably sacrificed significant income just to help out med students in passing their boards. Thats a stand up guy.

I have to admit that I watched the lectures with a friend and didn't initially pay for it, but I was so impressed that I paid for the full course AFTER watching them all because I just thought that he deserved my money. And I'm normally the kind of guy who spends an hour shopping around to save $1 on a set of guitar strings.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have to admit that i watched the lectures with a friend and didn't initially pay for it, but i was so impressed that i paid for the full course after watching them all because i just thought that he deserved my money. And i'm normally the kind of guy who spends an hour shopping around to save $1 on a set of guitar strings.

lol

Halfway through now. I still think its amazing. I love how he puts up images to correlate with the descriptions i.e. lead pipe, string sign, starry sky, etc. Then he'll actually describe the images and circle or color in parts of them.

As for the criticisms, he is going a little faster now, but the white board is still a prominent part of his lectures.
Hi. I read your comparison of Pathoma to Dr. Raymond's review of pharm. I need a lot of help with pharm and was wondering how to got access to Dr. Raymond's videos. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Pathoma is solid gold. Bought a 12 month subscription even though bootleg copies are floating around at my school. Dr. Sattar is a 1 man operation, not a faceless giant corp like Kaplan. He takes the time to respond to questions via email. Please support the man as he deserves it, and it gives him incentive to improve the product.

Pathoma is solid gold. Bought a 12 month subscription even though bootleg copies are floating around at my school. Dr. Sattar is a 1 man operation, not a faceless giant corp like Kaplan. He takes the time to respond to questions via email. Please support the man as he deserves it, and it gives him incentive to improve the product.

:thumbup:

this

I cannot recommend Pathoma enough, I had a very poor grasp of Path and thanks to Dr. Sattar's lectures I feel like I actually understand what FA is talking about in every chapter - especially true for subjects like Heme/Onco, where my background was very poor. So I recommend anyone who has the time for it, to pay for the program as it is worth much more than what it costs.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's ppl's take on doing Pathoma when also using First Aid?

I'm nearing the end of my first pass of First Aid (and will go over it again in the last few weeks before the test) and I'm also doing Pathoma a bit at night. After studying the same topic in both First Aid and Pathoma, I feel my First Aid learning is 10x than my Pathoma's. Pathoma almost seems too basic at times and spends too much time explaining obvious things. Even on 1.7x, half of the time I'm twiddling my thumbs because First Aid already taught me it and in more detail than Pathoma. I've done the first 3 sections so far and I'm trying to force myself to do it all of it, but my motivation is lessening since it just feels like a less in depth First Aid review.

Your thoughts?

I'm nearing the end of my first pass of First Aid (and will go over it again in the last few weeks before the test) and I'm also doing Pathoma a bit at night. After studying the same topic in both First Aid and Pathoma, I feel my First Aid learning is 10x than my Pathoma's. Pathoma almost seems too basic at times and spends too much time explaining obvious things. Even on 1.7x, half of the time I'm twiddling my thumbs because First Aid already taught me it and in more detail than Pathoma. I've done the first 3 sections so far and I'm trying to force myself to do it all of it, but my motivation is lessening since it just feels like a less in depth First Aid review.

Your thoughts?

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I didn't touch RR or pathoma during the school year and just started my boards studying last week with pathoma. I was hoping to avoid RR all together if possible (it doesn't loook like that is going to happen). I've noticed that pathoma is pretty focussed on the same pathology that first aid is focussed on (which is good in some ways) but as you mentioned, first aid actually has more detail on a decent number of diseases which is kind of scary to me and I definitely know the feeling of twiddling my thumbs as he explains some very simple concept for 3 minutes for the 3rd time. Anyways, I'm not unhappy with pathoma but I'm wondering where I should go from here. I really want a score in the high 240's or 250s. Should I do one more read through after the video lectures and then try and begin to plow through RR- this is going to be really tough to do with the amount of time I have. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

I'm kind of feeling the same way. I didn't touch RR or pathoma during the school year and just started my boards studying last week with pathoma. I was hoping to avoid RR all together if possible (it doesn't loook like that is going to happen). I've noticed that pathoma is pretty focussed on the same pathology that first aid is focussed on (which is good in some ways) but as you mentioned, first aid actually has more detail on a decent number of diseases which is kind of scary to me and I definitely know the feeling of twiddling my thumbs as he explains some very simple concept for 3 minutes for the 3rd time. Anyways, I'm not unhappy with pathoma but I'm wondering where I should go from here. I really want a score in the high 240's or 250s. Should I do one more read through after the video lectures and then try and begin to plow through RR- this is going to be really tough to do with the amount of time I have. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

I am 1 month out of the Test. I am in the same situation. I understand that he makes the concepts seem much simpler and at the time of streaming the video or reading the text, I find myself feeling 'oh this isn't so bad' but like he mentions in his intro that don't let this 'deceptively slim volume' fool you. I highly agree, this is so much information packed in every line, and even though its comparatively short to RR, it is quite dense, IMO. That being said, I am going to use FA Path/Pathoma/Goljan Audio+HY(36 pages). For the limited time that we have, I don't see a way of shoving RR in there without compromising other sources/subjects.

I am 1 month out of the Test. I am in the same situation. I understand that he makes the concepts seem much simpler and at the time of streaming the video or reading the text, I find myself feeling 'oh this isn't so bad' but like he mentions in his intro that don't let this 'deceptively slim volume' fool you. I highly agree, this is so much information packed in every line, and even though its comparatively short to RR, it is quite dense, IMO. That being said, I am going to use FA Path/Pathoma/Goljan Audio+HY(36 pages). For the limited time that we have, I don't see a way of shoving RR in there without compromising other sources/subjects.
I haven't used rapid review but a good friend of mine did. He also used pathoma. In his opinion pathoma almost covered everything that rapid review. I think rr is over kill because it's too dense and you can't retain it all if u read it cover to cover. Perhaps better use of rr would be via using it only for "weakness areas".

Even pathoma is dense and requires mutiple thorough reads to retain and integrate. I think pathoma does a much better job at explaining the "why" behind pathology. Does it have everything? NOPE. So that's where uworld comes into play. It can be used to expand on pathoma and fa and also to fill in missing details/concepts.

Do you guys recommend doing the first 3 "introductory" chapters of Pathoma? I have 85 days left until exam day and I'm going to be done with my first pass of everything on Saturday.

Do you guys recommend doing the first 3 "introductory" chapters of Pathoma? I have 85 days left until exam day and I'm going to be done with my first pass of everything on Saturday.

The first 3 chapters set the foundation to pathology so yes. and 85 days is a looooooooong time. I wish i had 85 days before i started studying

Your thoughts?

There is a ton of pathology in pathoma that is not present in FA
Don't judge pathoma until you've at least done half of pathoma

With the $100 subscription can one relisten/ rewatch the videos as many times as you wish or is it limited to a certain #??

the $100 for pathoma, can one relisten/ rewatch the videos as many times as you wish or is it limited to a certain #??

the $100 for pathoma, can one relisten/ rewatch the videos as many times as you wish or is it limited to a certain #??

Yeah you can watch as many times as you wish until your sub runs out...

im kinda pissed i didn't do this earlier and found out about it late....but better late then never...he breaks down complicated things in such a simple manner...well worth the 100 dollars if not more, much more.

Hey guys

Quick question...I just finished my M1 and want to start studying for boards this summer. Yes, I know I haven't really learned path yet; but, I realize I do exponentially better with ample preparation. So, I am heavily considering going through Pathoma and the 35hrs of lecture this summer once, and then doing some questions.

I realize it may not be the most efficient, but I have already decided I will study for boards this summer and I need the biggest bang for my buck! Please let me know what you think about doing Pathoma and the vids this summer :) Thanks guys and good luck!

I would do it. Pathoma will give you a global picture going into M2. He'll probably be the clearest Path lecturer you'll have and Pathoma, though it won't give you the level of detail that you'll want or need for second year, will be the perfect scaffold to support the minutiae.

Hey guys

Quick question...I just finished my M1 and want to start studying for boards this summer. Yes, I know I haven't really learned path yet; but, I realize I do exponentially better with ample preparation. So, I am heavily considering going through Pathoma and the 35hrs of lecture this summer once, and then doing some questions.

I realize it may not be the most efficient, but I have already decided I will study for boards this summer and I need the biggest bang for my buck! Please let me know what you think about doing Pathoma and the vids this summer :) Thanks guys and good luck!

Instead of pathoma you should do RR pathology during your ms2. Once you done with your ms2 may be then you should review pathoma for your board studies.

Hey guys

I would do it. Pathoma will give you a global picture going into M2. He'll probably be the clearest Path lecturer you'll have and Pathoma, though it won't give you the level of detail that you'll want or need for second year, will be the perfect scaffold to support the minutiae.

I agree, Pathoma will be an excellent tool to UNDERSTAND pathology; I'm using both RR and Pathoma, and while RR is very good, its only bearable after listening to Dr. Sattar.

I have a copy of Pathoma for $50 if anyone is interested in purchasing.

I'm gonna troll this post so hard. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS POSTER because Dr. Sattar does not charge an arm and a leg for a course that is well worth an arm and a leg (and may someday help you in saving someone else's arm and/or leg). He is one of the few honest people in exam prep who is not in it to make a gajillion dollars on the side, but instead cares about actually educating the future physicians who will be his colleagues. The man is a G, he asks little for his work, and he deserves to be fully compensated.

That said, I think everyone probably knows how I feel about Pathoma. My NBMEs have all been over 260 (6, 7, 11, 12, and 13) with NBME 7 today breaking 270 (exam Friday), and I fully credit this to Dr. Sattar laying the foundation with Pathoma. If I end up scoring within my practice range, I will be sending a nice long thank-you letter to the man.

I'm gonna troll this post so hard. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS POSTER because Dr. Sattar does not charge an arm and a leg for a course that is well worth an arm and a leg (and may someday help you in saving someone else's arm and/or leg). He is one of the few honest people in exam prep who is not in it to make a gajillion dollars on the side, but instead cares about actually educating the future physicians who will be his colleagues. The man is a G, he asks little for his work, and he deserves to be fully compensated.

That said, I think everyone probably knows how I feel about Pathoma. My NBMEs have all been over 260 (6, 7, 11, 12, and 13) with NBME 7 today breaking 270 (exam Friday), and I fully credit this to Dr. Sattar laying the foundation with Pathoma. If I end up scoring within my practice range, I will be sending a nice long thank-you letter to the man.

:thumbup:

I agree 100%

Agreed. Pretty lame.

:thumbup: legend

Agreed. He is a G. Not for gangster, but a God. Pathoma's value around ~$400.

I found out about pathoma a few wks after starting 2nd year, so I was fortunate to be able to listen to the lectures as I was going through each class. If I were to be honest and say how much I would have paid, after knowing how much pathoma would help me, I would say 2K minimum. I was essentially ready for the boards the day I finished 2nd year. The 4 wks they give us to study was just icing on the cake.:)

I found out about pathoma a few wks after starting 2nd year, so I was fortunate to be able to listen to the lectures as I was going through each class. If I were to be honest and say how much I would have paid, after knowing how much pathoma would help me, I would say 2K minimum. I was essentially ready for the boards the day I finished 2nd year. The 4 wks they give us to study was just icing on the cake.:)

Definitely the most worthwhile 100 i spent all year

It seems like there are wayyy too many sources for path (gt, DIT, Pathoma, fa, goljan audio, Goljan rr, Goljan hy notes, webpath, robbins :eek:). For those of you who have gone buck wild with path sources, which ones were indispensable? Are all these crazy path sources needed by the average student or just people who are weak in path? I just finished ms1 and in second semester, we finished off histology in one month and spent the other 4-5 months on path. Using class notes and web path alone, I got >95% on all the path exams. I did some questions in Robbins but didnt read it. I had maybe 10 hours to study for the final exam and did somewhat ok (86%). I'm not trying to brag - its possible that second year path will murder me because I'm not sure how much of real path we covered in 5 months in ms1. Can someone please offer some thoughts on what path sources are actually worth it? I already have rr path, Goljan audio, dit, fa and gt in my possession.

Thanks.

It seems like there are wayyy too many sources for path (gt, DIT, Pathoma, fa, goljan audio, Goljan rr, Goljan hy notes, webpath, robbins :eek:). For those of you who have gone buck wild with path sources, which ones were indispensable? Are all these crazy path sources needed by the average student or just people who are weak in path? I just finished ms1 and in second semester, we finished off histology in one month and spent the other 4-5 months on path. Using class notes and web path alone, I got >95% on all the path exams. I did some questions in Robbins but didnt read it. I had maybe 10 hours to study for the final exam and did somewhat ok (86%). I'm not trying to brag - its possible that second year path will murder me because I'm not sure how much of real path we covered in 5 months in ms1. Can someone please offer some thoughts on what path sources are actually worth it? I already have rr path, Goljan audio, dit, fa and gt in my possession.

Thanks.

Relax you have everything you need. It comes down to how you like to learn. For me Pathoma was a perfect one-stop shop, that when combined with GT covering everything worth knowing.

If you like going in deep with textbooks that are A-to-Z comprehensive you might like Robbins. If you like multi-subject integration you might like Goljan.

Pathoma + GT = the best use of my time/unit of effort. What's for you is on you.

Relax you have everything you need. It comes down to how you like to learn. For me Pathoma was a perfect one-stop shop, that when combined with GT covering everything worth knowing.

If you like going in deep with textbooks that are A-to-Z comprehensive you might like Robbins. If you like multi-subject integration you might like Goljan.

Pathoma + GT = the best use of my time/unit of effort. What's for you is on you.

Hey thanks for your response. I do like the multi subject integration which is why I'll be using Goljan. Is there any info in Pathoma that I won't find in Goljan? I'm thinking of doing a few of the free Pathoma videos and doing the corresponding Goljan/gt to see if They miss things covered in Pathoma. Thoughts?

Hey thanks for your response. I do like the multi subject integration which is why I'll be using Goljan. Is there any info in Pathoma that I won't find in Goljan? I'm thinking of doing a few of the free Pathoma videos and doing the corresponding Goljan/gt to see if They miss things covered in Pathoma. Thoughts?

Well, I only experimented with Goljan for a few chapters.

Just think of it with something you're already done with...like MCAT books. I used Berkeley Review, because I like the style. Was there that much different between it and Kaplan. Probably not.

These are professional board review sources. They probably all sit down to write their material with very similar outlines of what to cover.

Pathoma is clear, concise, and conceptually driven. If there's a piece of biochem or molecular bio or whatever that will serve to explain the pathology then he works it in to the introduction to a disease. But it's only to conceptualize the pathophys.

Goljan likes to take longitudinal tacts to show you how interconnected subjects can appear simultaneously. So that when you see a micro question stem that suddenly becomes a cell bio question you're prepared to make the link.

Personally I like making sweeping reviews with multiple reps through a particular section of pathology. So that when I think lungs and an obstructive disease I have differentials that I'm already familiar with. My mind likes to group things like this.

Pathoma allows you to get reps in on a topic in short order. So I went with it.

Unlike many on here I like vagina more than I like a 270, so that's how I prioritize things. Kidding....sort of. But if your tense about it this far out you might want to analyze the methodology of people going for > 2 SD's from the mean.

I used Pathoma all year. It's awesome.

Well, I only experimented with Goljan for a few chapters.

Just think of it with something you're already done with...like MCAT books. I used Berkeley Review, because I like the style. Was there that much different between it and Kaplan. Probably not.

These are professional board review sources. They probably all sit down to write their material with very similar outlines of what to cover.

Pathoma is clear, concise, and conceptually driven. If there's a piece of biochem or molecular bio or whatever that will serve to explain the pathology then he works it in to the introduction to a disease. But it's only to conceptualize the pathophys.

Goljan likes to take longitudinal tacts to show you how interconnected subjects can appear simultaneously. So that when you see a micro question stem that suddenly becomes a cell bio question you're prepared to make the link.

Personally I like making sweeping reviews with multiple reps through a particular section of pathology. So that when I think lungs and an obstructive disease I have differentials that I'm already familiar with. My mind likes to group things like this.

Pathoma allows you to get reps in on a topic in short order. So I went with it.

Unlike many on here I like vagina more than I like a 270, so that's how I prioritize things. Kidding....sort of. But if your tense about it this far out you might want to analyze the methodology of people going for > 2 SD's from the mean.

I used Pathoma all year. It's awesome.

Thanks a lot man. I guess Pathoma is only $100. Maybe I'll try the free videos first and then go from there. I just don't want to spread myself too thin

As far as integration you strongly emphasize, do the goljan audios suffice vs rapid review? Im thinking of gt, pathoma, goljan audios, and robbins qbank as my sole sources for path. I think fewer more effective sources focusing on learni things conceptually(pathoma), hammerring via gt, getting the integration (goljan audios), and doing challenging robbins probs covers all your bases in a systematic yet concise fashion without having to deal with a dense RR book.

As far as integration you strongly emphasize, do the goljan audios suffice vs rapid review? Im thinking of gt, pathoma, goljan audios, and robbins qbank as my sole sources for path. I think fewer more effective sources focusing on learni things conceptually(pathoma), hammerring via gt, getting the integration (goljan audios), and doing challenging robbins probs covers all your bases in a systematic yet concise fashion without having to deal with a dense RR book.

Yes. Absolutely that will cover everything. Taking your performance to the next level from there will be testing technique and working out hard with UWorld and other Q-banks. And for that there are enough nerd-jocks on this forum to follow after.

But seriously. You have path covered. Getting to all those resources and keeping up with lecture material will be a real mountain to climb as it is.