Pathology, undergraduate research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mercyfriend

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

How important is undergraduate research if I’m interested in pathology? I’m already a senior, and I’m feeling a little discouraged. I only contributed to some research but am not on the way to publishing anything on my own or being a second author. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a pathologist and I don't play one on TV, but I worked for one. She runs her own path company and was an English major.. I don't think she had research experience in undergrad.

If you wanting to pursue a PhD that might change things, but again I'm not a pathologist so I really don't know what they'd want.

For clinical pathology, research doesn’t matter much at all unless you want to pursue a research heavy appointment. LI’d say while undergrad research is nice, it’s what you do in vet school that matters way more.

I’m not an anatomic pathologist (I’m a clinical pathologist), but in general, anatomic pathology has a heavier focus on research and PhDs than clinical pathology. I still think that while having UG research and publications and stuff would be viewed beneficially, it wouldn’t irreparably harm your application to NOT have it, especially if you did pursue research some during your summers in vet school, had good grades, and had good relationships with pathologists. But I know pathologists/residents who didn’t have research backgrounds at all that have successfully obtained and completed residencies/boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
2nd year here with plans to pursue anatomic path

Your undergrad research doesn’t matter for residencies. At all. It might help you get *into* a DVM/VMD program but residencies will look at your research once you’re *in* vet school.
From there, yes research is awesome but having a first or second author pub is not a prerequisite for residency (it would look amazing and be a big boost but it is NOT required). It’s not until you are IN a residency program that you will be expected to produce and publish original research.

So, sweet summer child, relax. Finish your degree. Focus on your classes and building a strong application to vet schools and do not spend your precious energy stressing out about getting a first author paper or your residency applications before you are even a doctoral student.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it depend as well on which program you're applying to? Like, some schools care a ton about research (Tufts, Cornell, kinda Penn, kinda UC Davis) while others really don't care much. Wouldn't this mostly matter just to get into vet school, period?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it depend as well on which program you're applying to? Like, some schools care a ton about research (Tufts, Cornell, kinda Penn, kinda UC Davis) while others really don't care much. Wouldn't this mostly matter just to get into vet school, period?

Yeah. But not having a first author paper will objectively not put you at any disadvantage in vet school admissions. While having one would look amazing, NO vet school admissions committee is going to say “well they don’t have a first author paper so therefore they don’t have enough research”
When you’re applying to a path residency, it might be looked at a *little* differently just because you’re going to be in an application pool with a lot more people who do have first author papers, but having a first author paper is still *not* an actual requirement for residency (but having one by the time you are applying will definitely improve your application and could make you more competitive for certain programs who maybe don’t require it but really like to see it).
Where OP is at rn in their process, just having research experience at all is enough and they should focus on making sure they can get a good letter from the PI and also make sure that they can REALLY understand and talk about the lab they are in for interviews (what is the big focus of the lab, be very familiar with the techniques being used, and be able to explain EXACTLY what you are doing within the lab and HOW your contribution specifically is important for the research itself)

Reactions: 1 user