Pathology Training in the states vs. other places

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KLPM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious about the difference between pathology training in the states and other countries and whether anyone has any opinion about that.

From what I understand the training in the states is divided into anatomical pathology or clinical pathology. Doing AP or CP only requires 3 years while doing combined AP and CP requires 4 years. But that's all I know.

Comparatively, in my country pathology training is divided into AP and CP as well. However, each require 5 years separately. Combined AP and CP is called general pathology and requires 5 years as well. Furthermore, CP is generally sub-divided into chemical, genetics, haematology, microbiology and immunopathology. Of course there is also forensics pathology. In addition, chemical, microbiology and haematology are generally done as joint-fellowships with the college of physicians (endocrine, infectious disease and haematology respectively).

I am not seeking information because I want to train in the states or anything. I guess I am more curious about whether people think that 3 years of AP or CP (or 4 years of combined) is really "enough". I understand of course that this loose definition of "enough" is going to depend on many factors such as personal dedication, quality of teaching etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Fewer and fewer U.S. path grads go straight into practice after residency. Even two fellowships are not that uncommon.

Just curious about the difference between pathology training in the states and other countries and whether anyone has any opinion about that.

From what I understand the training in the states is divided into anatomical pathology or clinical pathology. Doing AP or CP only requires 3 years while doing combined AP and CP requires 4 years. But that's all I know.

Comparatively, in my country pathology training is divided into AP and CP as well. However, each require 5 years separately. Combined AP and CP is called general pathology and requires 5 years as well. Furthermore, CP is generally sub-divided into chemical, genetics, haematology, microbiology and immunopathology. Of course there is also forensics pathology. In addition, chemical, microbiology and haematology are generally done as joint-fellowships with the college of physicians (endocrine, infectious disease and haematology respectively).

I am not seeking information because I want to train in the states or anything. I guess I am more curious about whether people think that 3 years of AP or CP (or 4 years of combined) is really "enough". I understand of course that this loose definition of "enough" is going to depend on many factors such as personal dedication, quality of teaching etc.

A five year CP residency? Sounds unbearable.

My favorite quote about CP is from Dr. Mike Laposata. When he was applying for residency he wanted to have lots of time to do research. He said he asked someone "What does one do in a CP residency" and the response was "all you gotta do is turn the lights on" and he said "that's for me!". His point wasn't to disparage CP but to show irony of how he wanted to avoid clinical work so he had time to research and instead now he is heavily involved in clinical work.

A five year CP residency? Sounds unbearable.

Around 50% of the training places here are dedicated to AP while the rest are for the different disciplines of CP I listed above. Chemical pathology portion of CP seems to be the most competitive part whether it is as chemical pathology alone or joint chemical pathology plus endocrinology with the college of physicians as well.

Another difference is that internship year is mandatory. I've heard people on this forum say that you can go straight into pathology after medical school in the states. We have such an over-supply of students that there is every chance that even a field like pathology which has traditionally been the "unpopular" option is becoming increasingly competitive. Years ago it was pretty routine for those who wanted to do pathology to automatically be offered a training spot. Now for disciplines like chemical pathology people often work for years before being admitted.