Path and research in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
scott said:
It is the general good humor, creativity and good nature of this board that made the original remarks I targeted stand out so much.

You must be new to the ways of LADOC. He is our resident misogynist bigot a*&7%$##@. Posts of his make me disappear for days, but Andy always keeps me comming back. :love:

Members don't see this ad.

jeff2005 said:
You must be new to the ways of LADOC. He is our resident misogynist bigot a*&7%$##@. Posts of his make me disappear for days, but Andy always keeps me comming back. :love:
Awww...you're making me blush ;)

Can't we all get along? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
jeff2005 said:
I reread your post and I get what you're saying. Sorry, I should have read it more carefully. I do think, however, that silence does imply acceptance.
This is how things can be:

I could read that remark and decide you are personally attacking me: implying that I stand in mute agreement and acceptance of blatant racism and bigotry - in other words, that I agree with everything LADoc00 is saying.

I could then proceed to reply and protest hotly, in the process perhaps involving insults to yourself and yours or whatever it is that is the general makeup of a flame-war.

Or,

I could simply decide based on previous experience and general good faith that this is not the case. That you are simply stating that you disapprove of outright racism and bigotry - which no one of any sense or intelligence can disagree with.

I choose the latter. :)

Simply because I believe in the general good faith and sense of the individuals who post or lurk here to decide for themselves the worth of an argument.

Point of order here.

May I suggest that we go back to talking about testicles again?

I shall start...arguing on the internet sucks donkey balls. Let's be friends.

I worked with a veterinarian that after castrating bulls would fry himself up a tasty meal. True story.

jeff2005 said:
I worked with a veterinarian that after castrating bulls would fry himself up a tasty meal. True story.
Nice. Fried bullballs. I heard they were good.

Random point here: Has anyone noticed that Extra Tasty and Crispy style chicken from KFC is neither tasty nor crispy?

Back to testicles...I knew a kid in my neighborhood who only had one testicle. In the previously void hemiscrotum was a fake rubber testicle. He would go around showing the girlies in our neighborhood this trophy of his. That kid got so much play. Only if Andy was born with just one testicle....things could've been different.

deschutes said:
This is how things can be:

I could read that remark and decide you are personally attacking me: implying that I stand in mute agreement and acceptance of blatant racism and bigotry - in other words, that I agree with everything LADoc00 is saying.

I could then proceed to reply and protest hotly, in the process perhaps involving insults to yourself and yours or whatever it is that is the general makeup of a flame-war.

Or,

I could simply decide based on previous experience and general good faith that this is not the case. That you are simply stating that you disapprove of outright racism and bigotry - which no one of any sense or intelligence can disagree with.

I choose the latter. :)

Simply because I believe in the general good faith and sense of the individuals who post or lurk here to decide for themselves the worth of an argument.

:eek: I'm impressed yet lost.......you ever consider studying law?

Wow, this thread got really heavy really fast! Back to the stories people! I was enjoying the various news articles...well, cringing is a better word, but I just couldn't tear my eyes from the computer screen! :laugh:

jeff2005 said:
Isn't that like being privy to a TURP and going home and chowing down on... I dunno, fishball soup?

Did you post before 6am because you woke up early or because you hadn't yet gone to bed? Because if it is the latter it doesn't count. :smuggrin:

I like that TURP analogy.

yaah said:
Did you post before 6am because you woke up early or because you hadn't yet gone to bed? Because if it is the latter it doesn't count. :smuggrin:
I left early, as you recall. I tried to stay up but was so pooped I got into bed at midnight but fell asleep without turning the light off. Which meant that I kept waking up but not long enough to turn the light off.

I finally woke at 5am.

So it counts! Yah!

deschutes said:
I left early, as you recall. I tried to stay up but was so pooped I got into bed at midnight but fell asleep without turning the light off. Which meant that I kept waking up but not long enough to turn the light off.

I finally woke at 5am.

So it counts! Yah!

Indeed. Excellent. Early morning rising is contagious.

scott said:
Hi all,

I haven't looked at this forum in quite a while, but I was disappointed to read the racist and xenophobic string of comments in this thread beginning with the one quoted above.

Do you think it's acceptable to use "Fresh off the boat" or FOB as a sort of fun way of expressing intolerance and dislike of recent immigrants or people from backgrounds different from your own?

I think you should be ashamed of yourselves, particularly since you've all had the privilege of having a decent education. Getting to know anyone, regardless of their background, takes some effort. I've often learned more, and had more interesting conversations, with people from different backgrounds from my own. The thing to be ashamed of is not, of course, using "FOB" or some other code-phrase, but thinking of a group of people in a generic negative way.

On a separate topic, LADoc00's comments here and elsewhere suggest he hasn't really seen good research labs, the lifestyle of successful PIs, or the financial opportunities that come along with a successful research career.

Ahhh, Scottie did I hurt your feelings? Go tell momma and remember to get your graham crackers and milk before Mr. Rogers starts at 11. Your post was so scripted and trite, Im wondering which "feel-good" ***** website you cut-n-pasted that from...

FOBs: They arent bad people, in fact they are quite nice which is why they get pushed into the less desirable jobs of our society, like being an eternal post-doc (the modern version of building the transcontinental railroad, and yes that analogy is apt).

LADoc00 said:
Ahhh, Scottie did I hurt your feelings? Go tell momma and remember to get your graham crackers and milk before Mr. Rogers starts at 11. Your post was so scripted and trite, Im wondering which "feel-good" ***** website you cut-n-pasted that from...

FOBs: They arent bad people, in fact they are quite nice which is why they get pushed into the less desirable jobs of our society, like being an eternal post-doc (the modern version of building the transcontinental railroad, and yes that analogy is apt).

Please keep it civil.