PAT: Hole Punching

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SMC2UCLA2_

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In my Kaplan Class, one of the strategies employed is to look at the line of symmetry created by the first fold and elminate all choices that violate this mirror-line.

This has worked always except for a couple DAT achiever questions. On these questions I would be eliminating the correct answer off the bat.

Did anyone use this strategy for the PAT?

Members don't see this ad.

SMC2UCLA2_ said:
In my Kaplan Class, one of the strategies employed is to look at the line of symmetry created by the first fold and elminate all choices that violate this mirror-line.

This has worked always except for a couple DAT achiever questions. On these questions I would be eliminating the correct answer off the bat.

Hi, using folds as lines of symmetry to identify their respective mirror images is the right thing to do, but, you should be doing so in reverse manner (NOT from the first fold). Try it out and see whether this will be more error-proof.

SMC2UCLA2_ said:

It's tricky. I thought Kaplan had a real good hint with that advice, but I also saw that it didn't help for some DATachiever questions. Although, I think the DATachiever uses a bunch of folds that I never saw on the real DAT, (ie. half circl folds). The strategy works sometimes, but to be safe I didn't use it on the real DAT. You could use it, as long as you recognized which folds would negate the strategy, and not use it for those questions.

IlliniSam said:
Although, I think the DATachiever uses a bunch of folds that I never saw on the real DAT, (ie. half circl folds).

I saw a couple of half circle folds, maybe 2 of them on my DAT.

The earlier post is correct, use the mirror image strategy backwards.

Members don't see this ad :)
EyeAmCommi said:
I saw a couple of half circle folds, maybe 2 of them on my DAT.

The earlier post is correct, use the mirror image strategy backwards.

what exactly are the "half-circle" folds?

it's kinda hard to explain.., just take the real test and u'll find out..

hopesremix said:
what exactly are the "half-circle" folds?

Imagine you fold the piece of paper in half and then punch half a whole on the crease of the fold. When you open the paper you have one full hole.

On the DAT you will never end up with a half-hole in the answer but they may punch half a whole on a crease so that it becomes one full whole or more depending on how many layers the punch penetrates.

SMC2UCLA2_ said:
Imagine you fold the piece of paper in half and then punch half a whole on the crease of the fold. When you open the paper you have one full hole.

On the DAT you will never end up with a half-hole in the answer but they may punch half a whole on a crease so that it becomes one full whole or more depending on how many layers the punch penetrates.

ohh ok. I DO recall seeing alot of those on DAT achiever. I thought you guys meant they actually fold the paper so many times that it becomes a half circle instead of a triangle.

so u thought the paper would be in a shape of circle? wow, that would be pretty crazy..

although, i do think the hole punching is the most difficult compared to the practices..