Passing out with needles and blood

shawnpl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi I've had this problem where I pass out whenever I get a shot or blood taken and get really sick when I see blood or needles or even something that makes me think about them.

I want to shadow doctors and volunteer at hospitals and eventually become a doctor, but with how bad I am right now I wouldn't be able to. Has anyone had this problem and have a solution?

Thanks in advance, I really hope I am able to overcome this.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you will get used to it if you stay long enough. You will be fine and you can do it. Have confidence in yourself and go to volunteer.

I wish you good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I used to be absolutely terrified of needles the same as you (only I wouldn't pass out but I would come close). Even thinking about a shot made my anxiety shoot sky-high. You just have to expose yourself to it a LOT. I realize this is difficult because it's not every day you come into contact with needles, so it might take a lot of time.

I got really lucky because I ended up working in a lab where we had to give mice injections. Believe me I nearly fainted from just looking at the needle when I had to give my first injection, but after a month or so I didn't care at all anymore. I also started getting a flu shot every year which helped somewhat. You can also observe procedures with needles at wherever you volunteer or shadow in a hospital setting. Overall it just takes time and exposure and after awhile you realize that it's really not so bad. I am still afraid of shots a little but it is about 50 times better than it used to be.. so it will get better!

I talked to this nurse at a clinic I used to work at, she was well-known as the nurse who was best in the entire clinic at giving shots. I told her how scared I was of needles and you know what she said? She said she was afraid of getting shots too! So you can still do a great job as a doctor even if you're afraid. Plus when you are a full fledged doctor you probably won't have to deal with shots and IVs and stuff at all since the nurses will do that stuff. I totally understand what you are going through and I used to worry the same thing but don't worry, you will be absolutely fine!

As far as exposure, there's lots of videos of surgeries and procedures online that you can watch. It won't be the same as seeing it up close and personal, but it's the next best thing, and it can help.

All this used to bother me, now I still can't stand to have needles directed at me but have no problem 99% of the time with going at others with needles. There are still some things I couldn't or would have a hard time with, like burn surgery and vascular for some reason. Anyway agree with others you have to desensitize yourself and do it with a safety net, ie dont' watch a big nasty surgery with a bunch of people that'll make fun of you when you pass out, do it when you can get out easily and look for a little then look away and do that till you can just look the entire time. Big thing, DONT think too much. Good luck

I used to be absolutely terrified of needles the same as you (only I wouldn't pass out but I would come close). Even thinking about a shot made my anxiety shoot sky-high. You just have to expose yourself to it a LOT. I realize this is difficult because it's not every day you come into contact with needles, so it might take a lot of time.

I got really lucky because I ended up working in a lab where we had to give mice injections. Believe me I nearly fainted from just looking at the needle when I had to give my first injection, but after a month or so I didn't care at all anymore. I also started getting a flu shot every year which helped somewhat. You can also observe procedures with needles at wherever you volunteer or shadow in a hospital setting. Overall it just takes time and exposure and after awhile you realize that it's really not so bad. I am still afraid of shots a little but it is about 50 times better than it used to be.. so it will get better!

I talked to this nurse at a clinic I used to work at, she was well-known as the nurse who was best in the entire clinic at giving shots. I told her how scared I was of needles and you know what she said? She said she was afraid of getting shots too! So you can still do a great job as a doctor even if you're afraid. Plus when you are a full fledged doctor you probably won't have to deal with shots and IVs and stuff at all since the nurses will do that stuff. I totally understand what you are going through and I used to worry the same thing but don't worry, you will be absolutely fine!

The bolded was basically the point I was going to make: You should be fine giving other people shots or being around other people shots even though you yourself can't stand getting a shot YOURSELF.

I was the same way. I would get freaked out when i MYSELF got shots, but when i shadowed doctors and they gave other people shots, i was perfectly fine.

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. Glad these forums exist haha.

As weird as it sounds, one of my friends actually has this exact same problem. Blood and needles freak him out. He tried to give blood once to see if he could do it, but he ended up passing out with the finger prick (before they even tried to stick his arm!). He decided that medicine wasn't right for him, but as others have stated, this is something you'll probably get used to. It also helps to think about blood simply has some kind of machinery. If you can objectify it, it'll probably be easier to work with.

exposure desensitization - if this is something you really want to do, you'll work through it best by observing and desensitizing..
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is true for just about everything in medicine... well, except for poo. That gets me all the time.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This is true for just about everything in medicine... well, except for poo. That gets me all the time.

Haha, very true.

One weird quirk I have is that seeing needles go into skin always weirds me out a bit, something I'll have to get over when I go for my anesthesia certification, but seeing needles go into gums causes me no problems at all!

That's got to be tough on you, but kudos for not giving up! My mom and sis can't handle blood and I don't understand why it doesn't bother me. Our vet had a classmate who passed out whenever she had to do something the first time: vacinations, spaying, neutering, etc. She was fine thereafter. He said he admired her because she didn't give up; she always picked herself up and finished.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you qualify, go and start donating blood regularly (like 4x year for women, max. 6x year for men). I too don't like watching a blood draw on myself... :eek: but it gives ANYONE a great exposure to the setting.

Once you've grown used to this, graduate to apharesis, that's when they filter your blood and put it back in (bit by bit, of course). It takes at least 40 min, and you can really relax and get used to the setting.

Unlike fully fledged commercial outfits, the Red Cross does not compensate their volunteers, but you can earn a plaque with your name on their wall fairly easily :bow: (by donating regularly) and meet nice people. My local Red Cross blood bank has a nice selection of DVDs to watch while you donate (apharesis only, a regular blood donation only takes 5-15 mins), and sure you can also bring your own.

And yes, sometimes they hand out a sticker that says "I saved a life today". :highfive:

Last edited:
I watched some online surgeries, and for the most part, they didn't bother me. So, I guess it's got to be when it's right in front of me haha. Oh, and what's the age for giving blood? I'm going to be sixteen in about a month.

Sorry, details:

- at least 17 years or older (16 years with parental consent (... great, two donors!))
- at least 110 pounds (and not underweight if you're really tall!)
- healthy
- cannot have lived / vacationed in some places (within a certain period of time).
- being on some medications, like blood thinners and teratogenic meds (that is stuff that would harm a pregnant mother's baby) is a big no! (Some anti-epileptic meds, accutane, antibiotics, etc. -- read the fine print!)
- having had a tattoo or vaccination recently are big sorry-no-s.
- being homosexual (statistically higher likelihood, apparently -- silly rule that comes from "back in the days when AIDS surfaced" -- but still on the books) :bullcrap:
- having a partner or oneself engaging in prostitution
- and a few more interesting things I can't remember right now. :laugh:

Go and find out!

Full details from your friendly vampires at from the American Red Cross at:
1 800 GIVE BLOOD

:nod:

You can also google "blood donation" or "blood bank" and other terms to find a place.

Hint: Take a cookie and/or fruit and a bottle of water with you. Nothing can make you feel better than a well-deserved "post donation" brownie. :nod:

---
Disclosure: I am NOT affiliated with the American Red Cross -- this is NOT intended to be advertising nor constitutes endorsement of any particular organization.
---

I just like 'em. And there is usually a shortage of blood during the summer (and up North when it gets really cold and around the holidays).

Last edited:
Quick tip: Don't give the Red Cross your real phone number or they'll call you for years!

Also, they usually have free juice and snacks there for you to munch on afterwards.

Quick tip: Don't give the Red Cross your real phone number or they'll call you for years!

Also, they usually have free juice and snacks there for you to munch on afterwards.

Uh, I think they'll only call if they need blood of your particular type. It is true that they do call, but they'd also take you off their lists if you ask them to do so. (My partner did, when they called during the day after a night shift...)

If you splure on calories, take along the stuff that *you* like. The official "treats" are hideous (surely to keep staff from eating them)... :laugh:

You'll get used to it. I still get light-headed having my blood drawn and absolutely cannot give blood. I can't watch the needle going into my own skin, but I can draw blood from others like a pro. I was really worried about passing out while drawing someone else's blood...but I am an MSII and have drawn blood on at least 50+ people now and have had no problems whatsoever. Don't change your careers goals based on something that you will get desensitized to in your first year.

Donating blood is a great way to become desensitized. I've donated twice, and I needed a blood test as part of my physical yesterday for college, when my doctor was drawing my blood, I just stared at the needle in my arm and it really didn't bug me. It's practically painless compared to donating blood also, the needles they use are huge! XD

Yeah I wonder what happens if you're O negative ;)

1) Obvious: if your O neg, they then let you take two cookies! :laugh:
2) You are still limited to donating a max. number of times per year, they won't call too often.
3) One day, you'll appreciate that you can run in another batch without having to wonder "Should I stop now because we're low in supplies and I might need it for the next patient who might have a better chance at surviving?" :cry:
4) Most blood products aren't used in emergencies, they take all types. I'm B+ an they never turned me away. :p
5) If there is a shortage and you're healthy, why not be generous, too? :D

Desensitization is key, as everyone has mentioned. Watch videos, and if you get a chance, shadow an Emergency Medicine nurse or physician. You will get tons of exposure watching needles being directed at others. You can go to Youtube and search for Intravenous Line placement, or IV lines, or peripheral IVs, and watch tons of videos on needles and blood draws. When you do shadow a nurse/doctor, Just warn them about your tendency to faint at the sight of needles so that they are prepared. (Don't be embarrased, they've all seen it before.) Also, because this is a vasovagal response, make sure that you watch your breathing (i.e. don't hyperventilate and then faint), and pay attention to your emotions/fear (which can lead to the fainting spell). Overall, it is something that you CAN get over with practice and exposure in a controlled environment. Make sure to start off by sitting down when you are exposed next time, and make sure to have plenty of food and water in your system, because low blood pressure (hypotension) doesn't help the situation. Good luck!

Haha, I just watched a video of someone putting in an iv line and i completely passed out. This is going to suck. Oh, and I searched on the Red Cross site my zip code and apparently there are no blood drives within 50 miles of me. wtf. There isnt one single one in or around richmond, va. So ya, haha, guess im going to have to wait until i see one pop up on the website.

There isnt one single one in or around richmond, va. So ya, haha, guess im going to have to wait until i see one pop up on the website.

That can't be correct. :idea: Call your local chapter of the ARC and find out (you also need to put in a date on the website and the stuff there might not be up-to-date). If there really isn't, maybe call your local trauma center (ask for the blood bank) -- they'll be able to point you in one or the other direction. Do call the hospital switchboard (please do NOT call the emergency number). It is an obvious thing to say, but we never know who reads this site...

If worst comes to worst, you could organize a blood drive yourself with the help of an organization -- get a certain nr of people to promise and they might come through with a blood donation vehicle. Sometimes country & sports clubs, neighborhoods and churches do that... In college, some of the fraternities regularly organize them, too.